1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My Marketing Suggestions Thread

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by usasportstraining, Mar 20, 2008.

I love coming up with marketing ideas.

:) Please, only one link/topic at a time. :)

Please don't PM me, unless you're wanting me to know something (such as the URL), but not ready to share it with others at this time.

If you have a site/topic that you're wanting ideas on marketing or advertising ideas, I'd love to give you my 2 cents.

So, start em comin'!!

:D

usasportstraining, Mar 20, 2008 IP
    tacobueno likes this.
  2. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How would you market a website that aims at selling wine racks, drink holders and stuff like that?

Looking forward to read your ideas.

turbulence, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  3. streams500

streams500 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How would you market the following:

1. Baby site that has videos and is selling ebooks and other baby stuff?

2. Family Budget site

3. Personal site - with ebooks and videos

4. An ebook site

streams500, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  4. tropoli

tropoli Peon

Best Answers:
    give me some idea

1 animal site

2 funny site

3 travel site

4 health site

tropoli, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  5. tacobueno

tacobueno Active Member

Best Answers:
    hey thanks for the help, i recently started a forum that is has subforums for most of the major cities in the US
    the problem is when i get a couple members to start with theyre all in different parts of the country and theres no real conversation going because everyones in different cities

the forum is in my signature, any suggestions or ideas on how to market it would be appreciated, thanks

tacobueno, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  6. usasportstraining

usasportstraining Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    • Do a search for wine tasting clubs and groups. See if you can get a link from them. Don't ask outright, but offer them a discount/sponsorship/etc.
    • Here's some possibilities:

http://www.thewinetastingclub.com/
      http://www.drinkwine.com/shopping/wineclubs.html
    • Do the same with wine related blogs. Offer them something to write about your site, you may get some good referrals from this if they are a popular blog.
    • Sponsor wine-specific WP themes. Hire a good designer to create and market it for you. Your link would be at the bottom.
    • Hold a contest for clever winerack designs or uses. This could be good linkbait, but also it may be fun and interesting to visitors to see what others have done. Also, you could Stumble the pictures/articles for some good semi-targetted traffic.
    • Join StumbleUpon and other Social Bookmarking sites - create/join wine tasting, winery, wine groups. Don't spam though! Make friends in the community.
    • Have a good wine-related blog and hopefully others will like to read it. Nothing is better than word of mouth.
    Boy, that's a lot of stuff!

• Take part in parenting/family forums. Put your links in the sig. Make sure you are posting helpful/interesting posts regularly. You may be surprised by the amount of traffic in this case.
    • ebooks can be a tough thing to market these days. You could market it from your site and via some PPC advertising, but otherwise it can be considered spammy.
    • There are tons of parenting/family/single-mother blogs. Kindly offer them a discount/make helpful, non-advertising comments/See if they'd be willing to add you to their blogroll.
    • Get some active related bloggers to write up a post about your site.
    • Take part in Flixya (video/photo sharing), which is a revenue sharing site. You could then use their link and imbed in your personal site. You may make some extra cash too.

Much the same as above.

• Animal and funny images/videos can do very well via a StumbleUpon blog. You could get a lot of traffic from it. Don't spam. Be active.
    • Take part in related forums. See DoFollow Forums list for ideas.
    • Offer a gallery on your travel site for people to post images and comments of their travels.
    • Health site - it depends. I would need to know more about it.

Nice forum!
    • Advertise locally via Google to get some traffic. Do this until you're satisfied with the level of users, which you may want to do indefinitely.
    • Make sure to keep the forum very active (even if you need to hire good posters/make additional accounts and talk with yourself for a while).
    • Find localized bloggers and see if they'll do a write-up of your forum or even take part in it.
    • Maybe have local moderators that would be willing to contribute ongoing articles on fun things to do locally, etc.
    • Add revenue sharing to your site for the moderators/contributors. This would give them incentive to post and keep it active. Blend your ads and don't use too many!
    • Hold localized contests for those that have posted more than, let's say, 100 or 150 posts (give away gift certificates for $20 or something). You can decide what would be the best way of doing this, as this idea may not be good for your situation in its current form.

:)

turbulence likes this.
  7. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the quick response!

I see that you have put a lot of thought in your suggestion. Really interesting approach you have mentioned here. Once again, thanks a bunch and best of luck! ;)

turbulence, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  8. angilina

angilina Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for this thread.

I have a Newspapers directory, how to market such site ?

angilina, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  9. usasportstraining

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    • Do Press Releases (there are quite a number of free ones, some pass PR too)
    • Add RSS feeds to the front page
    • And, if you can, distribute your own feed
    • Maybe make it regional for around the world. People may love to come to one source for their news. You could be that source. Many people love international news and often from different sources.
    • Have you seen http://www.fark.com/ ? That's a nice idea. It's been around a long time.
    • Oh, allow people to comment on your news, like Fark.

You're very welcome. Always happy to help. :)

10. Gentile2

Gentile2 Peon

Best Answers:
    wow nice thread. :)

How would you market a video game website? The main features are daily news, editorials, previews, reviews and we also have a forum. It's a site that's launching in the next few weeks.

Gentile2, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  11. usasportstraining

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    • Press Releases
    • Be actively involved in gaming forums, especially if you can post your link in your thread/sigs.
    • Make some cleverly done Youtube videos (that shows your site logo/url) of gaming previews, etc. This can be very good for traffic.
    • Have contests for helpful contributors to your site (think of some criteria to be eligible) and give away games.
    • See if you could eventually get some demo/review games from game makers, especially smaller ones and give them to your prized reviewers as incentive.
    • Create a newsletter for subscribers (include previews of the articles to get people to want to read more), discount codes, funny news, etc.
    • Create a closed forum section for special codes and other special info for members that have posted so many threads. Show the number of threads to show it is an active section. People may want to reach that point, just out of curiosity.
    • Allow an RSS feed from your site, which may bring in visitors from blogs and other sites.
    • If you can, try to think up some clever linkbait.

12. ThePodman

ThePodman Peon

Best Answers:
    I got one for you. How do I market an iPod review website? I currently have a site called The Pod Depot. I get a good amount of traffic but I think I can get more if I market it properly. Any tips?

ThePodman, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  13. buzz181

buzz181 Peon

Best Answers:
    wow great thread mate its nice to see & yr ideas can be applied to lots of things
    keep up the good work for all us newbys out here....thanks

buzz181, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  14. usasportstraining

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I'm assuming this is yours: http://www.thepoddepot.com/ <edit> Yes, I now noticed in your sig :eek:. Nice favicon. Great work on the reviews and pricing section!

Your site is too wide for my screen resolution (1152x864 w/19" flat screen) via Firefox. It displays better with IE6, but is still quite 'large'. I haven't looked at it with IE7. I'd suggest adjusting so you don't annoy the growing Firefox market, if this is your site. Here's a great tool to use for testing on various browsers: http://browsershots.org/

How old is it? I see no Web Archive Age. PR1. You need to continue to work on quality/related content linkbuilding. Sponsor Ipod/tech stuff WP themes, if needed find good theme designers and have them make one or two just for you.

• Make use of Google Mobile advertising
    • The folks that would be interested in this would mostly be 14-35 year olds, give or take, and tech junkies (not a bad thing!). Make use of social bookmarking sites, such as Facebook, StumbleUpon (target things that are popular), as these are very popular with this generation. Try to be a popular/helpful/interesting user. On StumbleUpon create a blog about cool stuff, join/create groups related to ipods and related technology. Important: don't spam!
    • Join related forums, use the sig.
    • Use an RSS feed for your reviews/news.
    • Host and create podcasts.
    • Press Releases
    • Make an easier to use (search for) of the reviews, as this is a really valuable thing you provide. Good job! Find some people (who are not very internet savvy) to test the usability of your site. If they can use it, then you're doing great.

Thanks! :)

15. djliku

djliku Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a handbag site. I am doing PPC and getting nothing. I sell a giraffe print hand bag. They are imitations of dooney & bourke and coach bags.

djliku, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  16. Goodfellas

Goodfellas Peon

Best Answers:
    How would you go about promoting a MySpace friend adder site (mentioned in PM)...to make as many sales as possible...?

Thanks

Goodfellas, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  17. usasportstraining

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Hmmm, that's a tough one.
    • Just a thought, but try being an active, helpful member of the following forums. Advertise on them, if possible. Don't spam though! :)
      - http://forum.purseblog.com/coach/
      - http://www.thebagforum.com/celebrities-coach-bags/
      - http://www.pursepage.com/forum/
    • Have contests with purse give-aways
    • Do a search for purse/fashion related blogs and offer them something in return for being on their blogroll.
    • Have an affiliate program that these bloggers and websites can display on their sites.
    • Try to create/design a site that instills confidence and trust, so people are willing to buy from you.
    • If you're able, try to get people to write testimonials of their experience from you.
    • Are you selling on Amazon or Ebay (if it's allowed)? If so, you could reference your feedback rating.

Very professional looking!

• Having an active, well-liked presence on MySpace may work. Maybe they would see you as competition though, not sure.
    • Advertise on it, if allowed.
    • If it can work with MySpace without stepping on their toes, you could try to partner with them.
    • The same MySpace users may also use other social bookmarking sites, so you could try to display on those.
    • Write Press Releases.
    • If you can, create some linkbait. Easier said than done.
    • If you can, create free themes for MySpace sites. I'm not that familiar with MySpace.

That's all I could think of right now. I'll add more, if I come with anything.

18. djliku

djliku Peon

Best Answers:
    I seriously cannot thank you enough. If I ever make anything from this site I am going to send you something nice.

djliku, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  19. usasportstraining

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Thanks for the nice compliment. :)

No need to send me anything. What comes around goes around. Do something nice for someone today.

20. ThePodman

ThePodman Peon

Best Answers:
    Duuuuude! You'r the first person to give me some reliable information that I can use. I really appreciate the comment and help. Thanks. I really appreciate it. I couldn't offer you much, so I clicked on some Google ads for ya. :)

ThePodman, Mar 20, 2008 IP