1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My Internal Linking Strategy - comments?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by wilkinsj, Jan 9, 2017.

Hi everyone, I'm working on an informational site that sells an ebook. The structure is relatively flat with lots of blog posts and a few 'category' pages with internal links. Here's the structure:

- Homepage
    - Category pages
    - Blog posts/pages

Currently, the blog posts have very few internal links (in or out), and that is something that we are trying to rectify. The menu system, on the other hand, has too many links in it with no real strategy.

The website is ranked very well and appears in the top 5 for several search terms. There are other search terms that can be improved.

Here's what I'm planning. I'd love to get some feedback here if anyone has thoughts on this plan.

1. Identify the following:
    a) The top 10 pages (by traffic and conversion)
    b) 20 more pages where rankings can be improved

2. Update the nav bar so that it links to the category pages and a few of the most popular, best converting pages.

3. Add internal links to the blog posts. Each page will have 3 or 4 internal links, with relevant anchor text, as follows:
    - One link to a category page or one of the 'top 10' pages
    - One link to one of the 20 pages where we think ranking can be improved
    - 1 or 2 'deep' links to other blog posts

We'll also be improving content, doing some marketing, checking for broken links, improving site speed, and all the other usual stuff. But I wanted to get some feedback on this internal lining strategy as this is the area that I'm least familiar with. It also seems (to me at least) that there is very little consensus as to what is the correct strategy.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

wilkinsj, Jan 9, 2017 IP
    briguy likes this.
  2. Theo Cecev

Theo Cecev Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    In my opinion I think you are making it a bit too complicating. I'm not the best SEO out there and don't claim to be, but in the videos that I have seen and articles I have red I understood that you don't need to go crazy with the interlinking. Sure you can do it this way, which is good, but even with a basic silo strategy where you interlink from your homepage too each article and back you will get somewhat similar results. Since you are already doing it that way I suggest you continue because in my opinion you will have link juice flowing in every article.

Theo Cecev, Jan 10, 2017 IP