1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My hosting plan expires on 27th...

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by wampyra, Apr 17, 2012.

1. StuartCRyan

StuartCRyan Peon

Best Answers:
    Overselling yes, willing to suck it up when someone actually needs to USE those resources (on the odd occasion also yes) hahaha (I used it to the nth degree before I went dedicated). And when you have a look at their dedicated server pricing and costs it actually brings the costs much more into perspective.
    Stuart

StuartCRyan, Apr 24, 2012 IP
  2. JPC-Sabrina

JPC-Sabrina Member

Best Answers:
    You might want to look into some of the mid sized providers at this point because you can stay with them as you grow. Also mid level providers still see you as a person and not a number. They offer 365/24/7 technical support as well as live chat. A few good ones have been around for over ten years and you will find that they have reliable and affordable solutions for almost all of your needs. True cPanel services are also getting less and less abundant with many big box providers as they now use their own. I know you said that wasn't a point that really mattered but companies with cPanel services will sometimes offer free migration assistance. It just gives you another level of service and one less hassle when you are moving your hosting providers.

JPC-Sabrina, Apr 24, 2012 IP
  3. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Their dedicated server pricing has absolutely nothing to do with what they are using for their shared hosting. You have to add RAID10 SAS drives, etc., etc. You can't compare their dedicated server prices with what they use for their own shared hosting. Doesn't make an ounce of sense. They are VERY CLEARLY overselling their plans, both disk space and bandwidth.

In your last post (well, 2 posts ago now) you fault companies for offering 1TB bandwidth and such, and Turnkey is doing just that on shared hosting plans that cost less than $10. It's absolutely laughable.

I realize that you're an affiliate of theirs and are being paid for everyone you refer their way, so I don't expect to you talk badly about their services, but they oversell more than the majority of companies out there.

P.S. Check out the nice 504 Gateway Error on their site right now. ;) Not on my end. Tried to access it from 5 different servers before I gave up. That's too bad.

WSWD, Apr 24, 2012 IP
  4. StuartCRyan

StuartCRyan Peon

Best Answers:
    @WSWD, interesting while I still think it shows they have a generally lower price margin and are able to lower costs (especially with the new DC) what I am going to do is speak to the manager there Nick and raise your concerns haha I wont say that I know heaps about their business as I don't but... I am curious as are you.

As for the 504 gateway I am not getting that is that when you just try to access the homepage? And affiliate yes but I only do that because a) I host with them and b) I have faith in their services... As I said I will have a chat to Nick and see what their official response is surrounding your concerns.
    Stuart

StuartCRyan, Apr 24, 2012 IP
  5. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Lower cost and lower price margin??? $139 for a 2GB Atom 330 server?? That's at least twice what most places would charge for that server. Same goes for their other dedicateds. Their prices are WAY higher than most reliable companies out there. I realize they are fully managed, but their prices are ridiculous, and certainly not "lower costs".

As far as the overselling, it's not rocket science. It's simple 3rd grade math. 10 people on their eCommerce plan ($9.95/mo.) and you're talking about 2000GB (2TB) of disk space and 20TB of bandwidth. They would make $99.50. You show me where $99.50 covers the cost for a good hosting server with 2TB of disk sapce and 20TB of bandwidth, including cPanel ($20-30 alone right there), and I'll eat my shoe.

It is fixed now. Lasted about 20 minutes.

WSWD, Apr 24, 2012 IP
  6. turnkeyinternet

turnkeyinternet Active Member

Best Answers:
    Your inference on 'extreme overselling' is to mean server overloading, which absolutely is not the case with our hosting servers.

We utilize the best enterprise class Dell Poweredge servers with massive levels of cpu, memory, disk capacity - and any time we need more, we can add more servers. We pay careful attention to make sure the servers are secure, stable and fast performing at all times. Utilizing the newest dual hexacore Xeon E5645 processors - allows us to achieve realistic density, and ultra high performance.

This isn't a reseller account being used to 'resell' from - we own the datacenter and the servers, as mentioned above we have a great methodology to handle our clients needs - so if we fill up a server, we just install another.

the reality is that in the Datacenter and cloud hosting business, the cost of electricity is the largest expense. With our new On-site solar power system, we produce our own energy, and what energy we use in excess of that comes from clean renewable Hydro Electric power sourced from Niagara Falls, in New York at a substantially reduced cost for power compared to traditional datacenters. Our other green technology investments, such as Smart Aisle precision cooling, and Cold Containment Systems - provides a further 33% efficiency over traditional datacenters further reducing our electricity utilization, all adding up to a lower impact to the environment, and lower cost of providing the reliable services we deliver to you. We own and operate our own facility, servers, routers, and network connections. We are not resellers, or wholesalers - and thus we do not have the higher operating costs of renting servers and equipment which allows us to pass down the savings to our customers. You can see more about how we have driven our costs down here:

http://www.turnkeyinternet.net/green/

Now, can we install more servers forever to support $10/mo hosting - of course not - and that's why we don't offer Unlimited resource hosting for obvious reasons. We may offer large resource packages compared to say your offerings, but yes we do provide and support what we promise.

I do understand exactly what you mean there WSWD, and I share your opinion about ridiculously oversold hosting packages (typically from a $20/mo 'reseller' package, used to then sell to 100's of hosting clients under them, all on some shared server the reseller rented that is housing 50 other resellers). But, when done professionally and responsibly - a mid-sized hosting company can dedicated proper assets, support, and resources to deliver a quality based service even with large amounts of resources.

I can't say we've never had a problem, ever - we have had times where a shared hosting server overloaded and we've shuffled around 'heavy users' as needed, deployed more servers. What sets us apart though is we are responsible, and always monitoring to maintain what we promise.

Ok so i had to speak up - since you basically called us out specifc - but at the end of the day, I actually have to side with WSWD in general, don't go near unlimited hosting companies (or unrealistic resource offerings). Where we disagree is on TurnKey Internet's ability to offer what it promises - because we do deliver.

Thanks for your ear, and best wishes!

turnkeyinternet, Apr 25, 2012 IP
  7. raindog308

raindog308 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    There are "unlimited" hosts...but why pay for that service if your disk is only 200MB? You could grow by 10x and still be in the entry level plan for some providers.

raindog308, Apr 25, 2012 IP