1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My God Dreamhost Sucks! Biggest Newbie Mistake Going With Them

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Spliffic, Mar 5, 2008.

1. 1mak

1mak Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1mak, Mar 21, 2008 IP
  2. developr

developr Peon

Best Answers:
    I was about to go with Hostgator about a month ago and even now I think they are probably the best megahosts. IMHO, you should not be tempted with hosts that offer TBs of bandwidth and storage for ~$5 per month. They cannot really provide you with that, and in the off chance that you actually need it, you will end up going over CPU/RAM/MySQL Connections and they will just disable your website.

Look at your sites and see what you really need. You can always upgrade later. 99% of the hosts out there all have the same basic features, so find a reliable one with a good repuation and try it out. Most offer 30 day guarrantees, so nothing lost.

I read 100's of reviews at Web Hosting Talk and although Hostgator gets lots of good reviews, there were still enough bad reviews to scare me off. I ended up having to decide between http://steadfast.net/ and http://www.downtownhost.com/ which are two of the most hightly respected I could find. Steadfast was the fastest, but their prices were a bit high for me for what you get. Downtown Host has been great so far and half the time when you use their live chat, you end up talking the owner. Pricing is great and they have a 20% off coupon. You can check the link in my signature as that domain is hosted there.

developr, Mar 21, 2008 IP
  3. adfunk

adfunk Peon

Best Answers:
    yes dreamhost is hosting u should keep away off, their hosting support is the most lousiest and stupidest of all, i have my blog cannot be post and their support cannot do anything just ask some simple basic question just to make me furious anger, keep away from dreamhost!!! and one more hosting is hostgator, after run about 6 month with their shared hosting they plan to shut off my rsstoblog script capability ,when i ask why they simply ask me to switch to more expensive 100 dollar a month reseller package, DAMN HOSTGATOR!!! , another host u should keep away off, if u want reliable and not cheat communist host just go to globat 4.44 dollar a month

adfunk, Mar 23, 2008 IP
  4. Erthy

Erthy Peon

Best Answers:
    It's a bit ridiculous to bring politics into it.

I have been using IX for about 3 years. They schedule downtime at midnight and tell you well in advance, however, this has only happened twice, and I never even noticed my site go down (and I check them everyday).

Erthy, Mar 23, 2008 IP
  5. Loskas

Loskas Peon

Best Answers:
    Do the wisest decision of the year and register with Hostgator. Dreamhost sucks.
    [​IMG]

Loskas, Mar 23, 2008 IP
  6. nethelp

nethelp Peon

Best Answers:
    I will never accept something else than HostGator and 1and1!

nethelp, Mar 23, 2008 IP
  7. jon32000

jon32000 Active Member

Best Answers:
    i personally like dreamhost only had a couple problems but i sent a support ticket and they fixed it
    for the cost you cant really complain you want better service pay more

jon32000, Mar 23, 2008 IP
  8. ThatDataGuy

ThatDataGuy Peon

Best Answers:
    i get 2000mb bandwidth for $1 per month at 1dollar-webhosting.com

it has a great cpanel, and it loads pretty quick.

this is the site i use it with.

fxtradetoday.com

ThatDataGuy, Mar 23, 2008 IP
  9. Dreads

Dreads Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    hostgator isnt that great either...

YOU SHOULD STOP BUYING from oversellers (Companies that sell more then they have to offer)

I am using MountedWeb.com
    http://www.mountedweb.com/ <
    I personally have had 100% uptime.

I believe its the best hosting out there

Dreads, Mar 23, 2008 IP
  10. twistedspikes

twistedspikes Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Dreamhost has been fine for me while i've used it...:/
    Don't think i'll be switching soon anyway.

twistedspikes, Mar 23, 2008 IP
    buffalo likes this.
  11. VimF

VimF Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Dreamhost was down for more than 12 hours yesterday, all sites in my acc there were down, no email, no web, no panel... and this was the second time of this month (previous was about 2 hours or so).

But I don't think I'll move those sites away from DH soon since they eat around 25-30GB a day in average, with 100GB peaks.
    And a dedi would be a waste in my case.

VimF, Mar 23, 2008 IP
  12. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    2 years on dreamhost and never been any substantial problems

For the price you are getting a very good deal imho

RectangleMan, Mar 23, 2008 IP
  13. bertamus11

bertamus11 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have all of my sites hosted at Dreamhost (shared hosting - check my sig).

Now, granted, my sites are not hugely popular but a couple of them get quite a few visitors and page views a day which I am sure spikes the CPU here and there and Dreamhost has never complained about it once. (Knock on wood). Also, in my opinion, their customer support is good. They always resond ASAP and fix any problems I may be experiencing in a timely manner. My sites have gone down twice but not for very long and I'm sure one of those times was my fault.

My only complaint with their customer service is that they won't do things for you like install FFMPEG, a custom PHP.ini and stuff like that. I had to learn to do all of this myself, but now I am happy I learned it. (At the time I wasn't though!)

Anyways, everyone is going to have and is allowed their own opinion(s). Mine is that unless something major happens, I'll be sticking with Dreamhost.

bertamus11, Mar 23, 2008 IP
  14. Loskas

Loskas Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm.. I guess you guys are lucky then. =P
    [​IMG]

Loskas, Mar 24, 2008 IP
  15. pilotX

pilotX Peon

Best Answers:
    has anyone heard of slice host. Im not sure exactly how it works but it looks interesting

pilotX, Mar 24, 2008 IP
  16. blin100

blin100 Peon

Best Answers:
    my god people :p
    First, with dreamhost: They have absolutely awesome support. I dont know what you people are filling out in the support form, but when I fill out the necessary info, and select the right severity, I get a response within 4 hours almost every time. And, their downtime hasn't been that bad recently. One other thing I want to point out, their status blog. Has ANYONE ever had a hoster tell you as much info about what went wrong behind the scene than dreamhost? Your hoster might have awesome uptime, and then one day have 2 days of just blackout. Do they ever tell you why? No, of course not.
    For 1and1...i've personally had bad problems when I was transferring a domain away from them, but to be honest, their a good host unless you hit some wierd circumstance like i did.

blin100, Mar 24, 2008 IP
  17. gunners

gunners Peon

Best Answers:
    hostgator is cool and if you need some discount contact me

gunners, Mar 24, 2008 IP
  18. adfunk

adfunk Peon

Best Answers:
    this is great! my problem with hostgator have been solved within second! i can now use my rsstoblog script on my hosting, maybe i have been very bad in doing remarks im sry i pull back my words, 2 thumbs up for hostgator, u are the best and never let me down, thank you

adfunk, Mar 24, 2008 IP
  19. dzdrazil

dzdrazil Peon

Best Answers:
    anyone try 000freewebhost.com? i've heard good things there, and using your own domain seems pretty easy, but the small site i was working on for awhile hasn't gone up yet (low priority for me)

dzdrazil, Mar 24, 2008 IP
  20. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    One thing ive noticed about hosts is one company can be fine for one customer and a nightmare for another, im with hostgator, some people love them some hate them.

I also use godaddy for hosting, again loads of people say avoid godaddy for hosting, others get along fine with them.

Same with registrars, some love godaddy, others will only use namecheap, and others use all those other popular ones.

Sorry to hear of your problems with dreamhost, before i went with hostgator i spent days researching hosts, god it was overwhelming, i reached the point i had to just go for one finally, i had prices and features and pros and cons coming out my ears, lol

Also remember when you ever look for recommendations that rival companies will of course knock each others services and say that each other are terrible.

pipes, Mar 24, 2008 IP