1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My God Dreamhost Sucks! Biggest Newbie Mistake Going With Them

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Spliffic, Mar 5, 2008.

Man I hate dreamhost. Obviously I should have went dedicated but when I signed up I thought that shared hosting would be okay and that it wouldn't be a big deal. I am also a newbie so I didn't want to go and spend a whole lot on hosting as I have a very limited budget. Man was I ever wrong.

Almost every second day there is a major outage, where pages fail to load or I am sitting for like 10 mins before something comes up. What pisses me off most is that I'm paying for adwords to display my website, and when people click the link to my site and it doesn't popup within the first 3-5 seconds, I've lost a potential customer. So I'm losing in more ways than just the stupid fees I'm paying for hosting.

I might have to bite the bullet and ditch them even though I paid for a year's worth of subscription. It just gets my blood boiling thinking about how crappy their hosting is. :mad: I paid via paypal for hosting so there is no chance of a refund, man what a mistake that was...

Spliffic, Mar 5, 2008 IP
  2. FredRoe

FredRoe Guest

Best Answers:
    You gotta try HostGator, only $7.95 a month, and well worth it. I have been with them over two years, and I don't think I've noticed my sites ever go down.

FredRoe, Mar 5, 2008 IP
  3. Spliffic

Spliffic Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks, I wish I would have known this a month ago :p Will look into this, just need to rant about how much DH sucks!

Spliffic, Mar 5, 2008 IP
  4. cooldude7273

cooldude7273 Active Member

Best Answers:
    You're more likely to get reliable service and personal attention if go with a smaller company than with a megacompany like Dreamhost.

I can hook you up with the best hosting of your life for as low as $3.95 if you'd like. ;)

cooldude7273, Mar 5, 2008 IP
  5. live-cms_com

live-cms_com Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I have notices no problems what-so-ever with DreamHost, it's had like 1 day of downtime in the 6 months I've been using it. I use 10GB transfer per day and have had no problems.

live-cms_com, Mar 5, 2008 IP
  6. cooldude7273

Best Answers:
    Yeah, but DreamHost also has hundreds of servers. You're simply on one of the more fortunate reliable servers while it seems Spliffic got stuck with a bad server. Your experience with a host can depend greatly on the server you are put on.

cooldude7273, Mar 5, 2008 IP
  7. blin100

blin100 Peon

Best Answers:
    You can always request dreamhost to move your site to a new server. i was having horrible issues and i asked them nicely to transfer it and now, i get (from a uptime site) atmost 4 total minutes of downtime a month :p

blin100, Mar 5, 2008 IP
  8. DomainCo.US

DomainCo.US Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i am ok with their service, can be improved though...

DomainCo.US, Mar 5, 2008 IP
  9. jsb

jsb Guest

Best Answers:
    I would also ask them to move your site to another server. I had similar issues with another host, made them move my site, all is well again. It took more than a nice "please move my site to another server webhosting guy", so be prepared.

jsb, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  10. ColorWP.com

ColorWP.com Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I've been using DreamHost for more than a month now, and it is great. I have never experienced downtime on my sites for now.

I've used HostGator before that since I heard a lot about it, but I was extremely disapointed by their service. I have asked the HostGator support if image hosting site is allowed, even though it says that it is not in the TOS, I just wanted to be sure if it is allowed anyway if I disable hotlinking to full size images on the image hosting site. The live chat man told it was ok, but a few days later I was suspended with the reason that I have broke the TOS and I had to exchange a few kind but hard emails with them to be eligable for a refund. Then I decided to not use them anymore, I have switched to DreamHost and I am thinking to stick with them since everything works fine...

PS: Use my second sig link for $50 off your order if you are thinking to order hosting from DreamHost.

ColorWP.com, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  11. cooldude7273

Best Answers:
    I personally don't think you should have to ask to get moved to a better server. Should not ALL their servers be reliable and not just some?

(Perhaps this is my customer-centric mind on drugs?)

cooldude7273, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  12. digitalmatch

digitalmatch Peon

Best Answers:
    Have you paid for 6 months or one year in advance? Is the quality any different when you use different browsers?

digitalmatch, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  13. jsb

jsb Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes all the servers should be reliable in a perfect world. Still if moving to another server is a option I'd take it. It worked for me. If you work with computers you know how some machines just give trouble over and over again.

jsb, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  14. funtimes07

funtimes07 Peon

Best Answers:
    This is true man, and this was my exact answer to everyone who hated dreamhost....

One day they disabled my cronjobs, and told me i would need to find a different host. Now, i stayed with dreamhost because i honestly liked them, but after they told me it would take them months to get me onto a VPS i was upset.

I had to move all my databases to a1 webhosting, wich is awesome, got my own VPS for 59.99% , great bandwith, and the C.S. is amazing....hes litterally helping me move my entire network for free....and he actually will talk to you and reply to emails.

So yes dreamhost is a good host for static pages, but if your site will cause spikes in loads on the cpu, etc...dreamhost will stop you...

you get what you pay for...

Dreamhost (virtual)
    7.95$ = 500GB Bandwith.....

A1 (VPS)
    59.99$ = 400GB

If u look, at first of course your going to go with dreamhost, but think about it, how are they offering so cheap, because they will stop certain sites when the loads are too demanding, and since they are cheap they get abused....

remember, we make a living off the sites, so having a good "rental space" is key.

funtimes07, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  15. blin100

blin100 Peon

Best Answers:
    well, agreed, theoretically, all the servers would be the same. However...this is shared hosting. If one of the sites hosted on your server gets dugg...your site gets affected too. If their site is just a resource whore, but isn't at the point where dreamhost yells at them, your performance goes down too. Moving a server where its real bad provides you an *opportunity* of getting into a better one. sure, they should load balance them, but the thing is, most customers keep their mouthes shut. If no one says anything, or a select few, they won't go through the trouble of doing that :p

And yea, you do get what you pay for. If you check all the posts on the status blog for dreamhost, people are whining about loosing thousands in revenue. Well....if you get thousands of dollars in revenue, i think you could have been smart and got a private server instead of shared hosting...you aren't going to put mission critical website or sql servers on hosted servers exactly because of this point :p

blin100, Mar 8, 2008 IP
  16. ninjashoes

ninjashoes Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I remember having a ton of downtime with them, they have so many servers to worry about.

ninjashoes, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  17. JohnS0N

JohnS0N Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I use dreamhost since years and have no issues with them. There is an outage once or twice a month for a couple of minutes, but you would get that with every hosting company. Their features are incomparable. You can transfer unlimited domains for free, bandwith and diskspace is HUGE compared to others. At the beginning I didn't like their "home-made" cpanel, but after you get used to it you're gonna love it.

JohnS0N, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  18. ssrulz1

ssrulz1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have a reseller account with sambahosting, and their support is top-notch. I would suggest you to give them a try. I have lots of bad experience with other hosts.

ssrulz1, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  19. pilotX

pilotX Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I personally think dream-host is lame, Hostgator is the way to go, I rarely have hosting issues and they have good support .As for dream-host I have an account that I use for some blogging and video syndicating and I've had tons of problems, not to mention they accidentally ran a billing cycle that charged me a ton of money and over-drafted my account. I was one of a few hundred dream-host members billed randomly. It took over a month to get my money refunded.

pilotX, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  20. pbhosting

pbhosting Guest

Best Answers:
    i had the same problem with 1 and 1. TERRIBLE customer support, their control panel SUCKS. and if u try to transfer a domain they get pissy and try to stop u. i moved three domains away from them because i had finally had enough. signed up for 2 years, finally got fed up after a year. so i started my own hosting company and left that headache behind. probably the best thing i could have done. cuz if theres an outage, i have just one person to scream at, well ok two, me and my sysadmin. instead of calling some 800 number to talk to people who can BARELY speak english!!

plus it gives me complete control over my business and servers, which is totally great :)

i would suggest getting away from dreamhost and AVOID 1 AND 1 like the plague. ex of how bad 1 and 1 is, i have some domains with namecheap.com and 1 and 1. im in the process moving domains from 1 and 1 to namecheap.com. 1 and 1 takes up to 48 hours to get a dns change done. 48 HOURS! i make a dns change with namecheap, and its done within MINUTES, not hours, and its already populated in the usa in about 30-60 minutes. 1 and 1, yeah change ur dns then go on vaction cuz they have to wait for germany to send the updates out, the usa office doesnt do them.

just fyi.
    James

pbhosting, Mar 20, 2008 IP