1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My friend said "sandbox does not exists, everyone who said it does exists are dumb.

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Sxperm, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Immorta

Immorta Peon

Best Answers:
    If you want to test the theory get a domain name and I will do it, I have been doing SEO work for 8 years I think I know what im talking about...

If you all want to follow the crowd like a bunch of sheep then do so but please dont criticize me for the observations I have made, as I said "I have never" seen the sandbox effect and I doubt it actually exists....

There are reasons for everything you just have to figure out what they are. Old / New domains getting better rankings again is complete rubbish, older domains in general do better because they have more links and thats about it.

I tried to join the thread to talk about my experiences and im getting stoned for it, if anyone wants to talk about it further PM me and I will talk about it but im not getting pelted on a public forum for a personal observation.

Immorta, Mar 20, 2006 IP
  2. kneukm03

kneukm03 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Some of the mortgage loan stuff may be a different issue though. I think that asking whether Google gives an age "bonus" to old sites is different from whether there is an age penalty for new sites. They're related issues, but you'd expect slightly different results.

If a site isn't ranking as well because some other site is getting a bonus for age, it should be able to overcome it with some amount of links - maybe not on the most competitive terms where they already have thousands of links, but for slightly less competitive terms you could do it.

If a site isn't ranking because it is suffering a sandbox penalty, then no amount of links or SEO is going to get you ahead of the top sites until the penalty has expired.

kneukm03, Mar 20, 2006 IP
  3. SEO Guru

SEO Guru Peon

Best Answers:
    The domain in my siggie is 2 months old, I donno if its in sandbox, maybe you can test on it!
    Disclaimer : Excuse my Title "SEO - Guru" as the subtitle to it is "Wannabe ":D

SEO Guru, Mar 20, 2006 IP
  4. Immorta

Immorta Peon

Best Answers:
    Without getting full access to your logfiles there is nothing I can do...

Immorta, Mar 20, 2006 IP
  5. GADOOD

GADOOD Peon

Best Answers:
    Immorta: You must be a fucking millionaire.

Well done.

Pete

GADOOD, Mar 20, 2006 IP
  6. SEO Guru

SEO Guru Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you expecting me to provide you the access?:p
    Never mind :)

7. kneukm03

kneukm03 Active Member

Best Answers:
    For that Education site SEO-Guru, it's impossible to tell. It only has 4 outside backlinks according to MSN, and they aren't particularly awesome (forum links, directory links, article links, etc., so not worth all that much) so that wouldn't be enough to rank for any competitive terms anyway.

Google only has one page indexed, which is an unrelated issue, but it means you might want to take a look at reorganizing the site. The members-only thing might be hindering the spiders, but I got to some other pages from your sitemap and Google doesn't have those in there.

8. SEO Guru

SEO Guru Peon

Best Answers:
    Ya, coz i started promoting it two days back only :eek:. Still have to add content, Btw thanks for the mini review.

No, the members only thing is just for the chat feature, and can you suggest me some ways so that i can get my whole site indexed :)
    Disclaimer : (Consider me a n00b)

9. Immorta

Immorta Peon

Best Answers:
    No I wasnt asking I was just saying

Peter grow up please, if you have nothing useful to add, dont add anything.

Immorta, Mar 20, 2006 IP
  10. Immorta

Immorta Peon

Best Answers:
    SEO-Guru

1 other thing you might want to look at is coding errors on some of your pages. noticed a few just quickly browsing through.

Also you have 1 <h1> tag and 3 <h3> tags on your page, the <h1> is actually under one of the <h3's> so you might want to reorder them in the source, perhaps change one of the <h3's> to a <h2> while your at it.

Nice site though... :)

Immorta, Mar 20, 2006 IP
  11. kneukm03

kneukm03 Active Member

Best Answers:
    The indexing thing may be beyond me SEO-Guru just because I'm horrible at programming/web design. If you just got your first links two days ago, I wouldn't worry about it for now. For all my sites, when they're new they show up like yours for a couple of weeks (just the index page) and then a few weeks later a spider comes by and gets most of the pages. It can take a little time for new sites because Google gives them less priority for crawling frequency (I don't think that's a sandbox thing, it seems connected to P.R., but big daddy will be changing that around a lot too).

The only other thing I can think of is to make sure that button that goes to the sitemap is something that's spiderable. If you're worried it's not, then put a text link to the sitemap at the bottom of the page near your copyright stuff, and Google will follow that for sure.

12. sachin410

sachin410 Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I made a previous post in this thread but maybe some of you didnt go through the patent application in detail.

It is evident from the following points that "age "" of a document is a factor that is considered while generating a "score" for individual documents, but to what extent is debatable.

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph...ml&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=20050071741

It is logical that a site with more stable content and links should be considered more relaible than a site who went online just days back. I am of the opinion that age of domain, links , content etc are all factors that determines SERPS.

sachin410, Mar 20, 2006 IP
  13. SEO Guru

SEO Guru Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you talking about the errors that w3c validator shows?
    Like these ones
    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gazjones.com%2F
    Code (markup):
    Its made in Joomla so there is nothing much i can do about it:eek:
    Btw Thanks for appreciating the site

14. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    I just want to see some searches, Imorta, doesn't have to be your sites, just post some searches, where a site less the 2 years old ranks for something good.

I am not stoning you, you just made a pretty stong statement, you have created 100s of sites and never experienced any type of age filters, seems pretty far fetched.

If I said "hey everyone, i just make sure my h1 tags are in order and I get top rankings in google"

You would probably want to see an example, right? You seem to want to enlight us sheep, so please just post some searches so I can learn from your 8 years of SEO experience.

ferret77, Mar 20, 2006 IP
  15. Immorta

Immorta Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh didnt see that hehe, same with the blog its made in wordpress, my usual sites never have any coding errors in them...

Writing a piece of forum software purely in CSS (no tables) at the moment, its a bit of a pain but I figure it will be worth it in the end.

Immorta, Mar 20, 2006 IP
  16. Immorta

Immorta Peon

Best Answers:
    Ill sift through the sites ive done, some of them have NDA's so I cant post them.

Immorta, Mar 20, 2006 IP
  17. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    Do you work for pixel puppet?

ferret77, Mar 20, 2006 IP
  18. kneukm03

kneukm03 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with you sachin410 that older documents are more reliable and should be scored higher on average and that Google probably does factor this into their algorithm. The one thing I would point out though is that Google's patents are a "shotgun" approach. They list every possible method of scoring they COULD use, so that they can get legal protection for them.

Patents are often written that way - much broader than what is actually going on. The reason for this is that if you patent a certain method of doing something, people will try to find some other way to do the same thing that gets around the patent. So it's a generally used legal strategy to use broad language and list every possible way you can think of for someone to do what you're trying to patent. The upshot of that is that we can't rely on the patents as a good indicator of what Google's algorithm contains. You can be pretty sure that all of Google's current scoring mechanisms are listed in the patent - but you can't be sure that everything listed is being used right now.

19. Immorta

Immorta Peon

Best Answers:
    No I dont... Freelance (Kinda)

Immorta, Mar 20, 2006 IP
  20. sachin410

sachin410 Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Absolutely right...thats why I said that it is not possible for us to determine to what extent these factors matter...each webmaster / SEO person will form his/ her opinion based on experience.

For Google, SEO is science ...they know exactly how things work...for us it is an art... no absolute truth.

sachin410, Mar 20, 2006 IP