1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

my first website, and it hasnt cost me a penny!

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by welshmullen, Jan 4, 2011.

1. welshmullen

welshmullen Peon

Best Answers:
    no,
    well I have done some free seo but as im a noob it obviously isnt the best

welshmullen, Jan 8, 2011 IP
  2. Curry

Curry Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    How exactly did you do it for free? did you buy the domain and hosting?

Curry, Jan 8, 2011 IP
  3. Raymond_M

Raymond_M Peon

Best Answers:
    One more tip for you, that background image repeating looks ugly.. get a bigger background image, or use a solid color / gradient. It will look much better. It is nice to see the orange font is gone now though... i think it is safe to say all of your visitors would thank you for it

Raymond_M, Jan 8, 2011 IP
  4. TikiGirl

TikiGirl Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that it is a nice site. However have you thought about adding some images by the title because that area is extremely bare. Also, try using different fonts for the title. That can brighten it up a little. Put some more pictures or ads on the left. The content on the left is bare as well so you can use some more ads with links. I love birds by the way.

TikiGirl, Jan 8, 2011 IP
  5. dookie87

dookie87 Peon

Best Answers:
    doesnt look to bad mate, just keep working on it

dookie87, Jan 9, 2011 IP
  6. welshmullen

welshmullen Peon

Best Answers:
    well thank you everyone!

its nice to see there are some nice people on this forum :)
    and raymond i am working on the background image i want some grass but dont know how to do it without repeating.
    tiki what birds do you keep? send me a pm :)
    curry the domain and hosting are FREE as i said i havent spent a single penny just ALOT of time lol

welshmullen, Jan 9, 2011 IP
  7. sitearena

sitearena Peon

Best Answers:
    Seriously you have to make your site look good.The layouts are broken and the colors are not matching.Look at the bottom the banners are not aligned.

sitearena, Jan 9, 2011 IP
  8. TikiGirl

TikiGirl Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I have a cockertiel and I am planning on getting an African Grey. I love birds. My bird wakes me up early every more with his singing. I had 2 cockertiels but one died.

I also learned how to tell the male cockertiels from the female cockertiels. One the males the stripes on the tail go horizontally and on the female they go vertically.

I am going to bookmark your website because I think that I can get invaluable information on birds. Thanks for creating such an informative website.

TikiGirl, Jan 9, 2011 IP
  9. nordicadmedia

nordicadmedia Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    This website is pretty much standard from what everybody can learn within a week. If you mean this seriously I think you need to spend some money on the website. As it looks now it will not sell me any products.

PM for a price on the logo and/or a complete website with Wordpress/joomla.

nordicadmedia, Jan 10, 2011 IP
  10. WarriorIcon

WarriorIcon Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmmm, not bad! Keep it up man and you'll get better and better at making websites.
    I currently use word press to make my sites.

WarriorIcon, Jan 10, 2011 IP
  11. welshmullen

welshmullen Peon

Best Answers:
    a few people have mentioned wordpress, my website is hosted by google. can i still use wordpress?

welshmullen, Jan 10, 2011 IP
  12. diggathedog

diggathedog Peon

Best Answers:
    A few notes:
    - great start. yes you should be proud of getting a site up and online.
    - the menu is a little hard to read (orange on orange). White or black would provide a better contrast, and be easier to read. (the small text also tends to get a little lost, you might want to increase the font size a notch or two).
    - the site color palette is spread a little large (green, orange and blue, with a red title). Limiting it won't make it uglier, and is a pretty good design approach to limit colors to a couple of harmonizing tones (remember people want to read/see the actual stuff on the page, and not spend time focusing on the design - hence the preponderance of monotone site, like this one, and the many many many white, grey or black sites).
    - if you want to keep the background image for the page content zone, it might be helpful to visitors to block the text to the higher area of the image (it gets darker toward the bottom, gradually reducing the contrast and making it hard to read the text)

You won't be able to transfer pages directly from Google Sites to Wordpress, but you can recreate the site structure and copy-paste text from one to the other. Installing Wordpress is a pretty big operation, so if you're just beginning, just stick with the site builder you're using (or any of it's numerous competitors ...) and focus on developing the site structure and filling it with useful and appropriately-linked content for your target audience (and making it easy to read ... ;)

Good luck (how do you say that in Welsh?).

diggathedog, Jan 11, 2011 IP
  13. iLegitimate

iLegitimate Peon

Best Answers:
    if you need seo done ask me because I can help you

iLegitimate, Jan 11, 2011 IP
  14. School Games

School Games Peon

Best Answers:
    I hope you will do good with your site. Please give us more feedback on how your site doing. If you will succed what you started you will be my hero.

School Games, Jan 11, 2011 IP
  15. welshmullen

welshmullen Peon

Best Answers:
    well thank you guys! i am getting there (SLOWLY) and thank you for all the pointers digga i will look into all you said :) btw its "Pob lwc"

im going to stick with my totally free idea htmlmasterseo so im guesing i wont be getting much help lol.

and thank you school games, i will keep you all informed :)

welshmullen, Jan 11, 2011 IP
  16. ``Yousef

``Yousef Peon

Best Answers:
    Trying to be as constructive as possible, your website isn't great. Granted, you'll still be able to convert visitors into a sale or lead, but at a much lower rate than if you had a professional website. While you might have saved yourself $100-200 for a professional design, if you get the right amount of traffic, you'll probably lose out on +$1000 if you keep this as a long term strategy.

My suggestion would be to just jump on Wordpress which most hosting providers have available for easy install free of charge, and that way you'll be able to work with a much more professional design for free.

``Yousef, Jan 11, 2011 IP
  17. intesols

intesols Peon

Best Answers:
    Agree, Desing wise it's too boring. How can you match the combination of Orange and blue?

intesols, Jan 11, 2011 IP