1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My first video editing/gaming PC build - Help is appreciated

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Robert (PwrAds), Apr 1, 2016.

Hello guys,

So as the topic says I have decided to build my first PC and here are the components:
    1. CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-D14
    2. PC Case - Cooler Master HAF X
    3. Hard Disk - WD Blue 1TB SATA-III 7200 RPM 64MB
    4. SSD - Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SATA-III 2.5 inch
    5. PSU - Corsair HXi Series HX850i
    6. Graphics Card - GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 970 G1 GAMING 4GB DDR5 256-bit
    7. RAM - HyperX Predator 32GB DDR4 2400MHz CL12 Quad Channel Kit
    8. CPU - Intel Skylake, Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz box
    9. Motherboard ASUS Z170 DELUXE
    I have a few questions, you will have to excuse my lack of experience, I did some reading in the matter, however I am still a newbie:
    1. Is the RAM I selected good for this configuration or should I opt for something from Corsair ? The mobo is capable of OC, should I also choose a higher bandwidth of let's say 3000 MHZ, would that impact performance considerable or just slightly ?
    2. Is a 850 W power unit too much? would a 650W one cover the necessities ?
    3. Which M.2 SSD would you recommend ?
    4. Which website/s did you use to purchase your parts?

Thank you in advance!

Robert (PwrAds), Apr 1, 2016 IP
  2. wootriffic

wootriffic Member

Best Answers:
    Dump the following:
    Noctua NH-D14 and sub in corsair h100 liquid cooling. no point in spending $80 and a massive chunk of metal when watercooling can be had from around $90-120
    Ram go with g.skill, snag the fastest your motherboard with overclock will permit or price cap permits.
    corsair psu - swap for Seasonic. Seasonic is the best power supplies you'll find. Since 2012, i've had a 520w bronze pushing my i7-3770k overclocked to 4.5ghz, 24gb of ram, 6 SSDs and 2 HDDs, 7950 gpu, liquid cooling, and some other items, while gaming and streaming 7 days a week. still my daily rig and never gets shut off. for your needs i would suggest just going 750-850 gold. even if you dont need it now, maybe you will down the road.
    m.2 is a tad expensive for my taste, but if you really want it, just stick with samsung. quality/dependable.
    the 970 is an ok card, however if you ever want to do 1440 or 4k, multiple monitors, i would highly recommend switching over to the msi r9 390 or 390x. wider bus/more vram = longevity.
    the 390 also beats the 970 in real world gaming.
    Most times i buy my gear from either newegg or amazon. More amazon since i have prime and i can save 1 day shipping.
    another good place, if you have one around you, is micocenter. i got my i7-3770k for $105 less than the best sales on both amazon and newegg. the issue is you cant order it online (or i couldnt then) also got $20 off for buying the motherboard and cpu together. i think that's an everyday deal.

wootriffic, Apr 8, 2016 IP