1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My Best Domain Ever? 300,000 Monthly Searches EMD

Discussion in 'Appraisals' started by GamingOn, Jul 7, 2015.

Heroes Reborn is a TV mini-series that is upcoming on NBC in September.
    It was searched 300,000s a month in February and 80,000 times the last time I looked at Google Keyword Planner.
    :)

Normally domains with 5-10k + searches are done in my experience.

So what you think of my domain? I also own .net. heroesreborn.org
    :D

For anyone that doesn't know about Heroes it was a show that lasted from 2006 onwards and Heroes Reborn has some of the same actors and is the same story line. Also before you say there are "copyright" issues Heroes Reborn is also the name of a comic book so NBC can't claim it is theirs solely.

Thanks ! :D

GamingOn, Jul 7, 2015 IP
  2. gouthamvvs

gouthamvvs Member

Best Answers:
    Is it possible that both NBC and the book sue for copyright issues? Frankly it is a very good domain, but the copyright issues might stop it from being sold. How are you monetizing it right now?

gouthamvvs, Jul 8, 2015 IP
  3. GamingOn

GamingOn Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hello, I am using Adsense on the .net with no issues.

GamingOn, Jul 8, 2015 IP
  4. jr888

jr888 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    what do you think if you have a good EMD domain but it's .info ?

jr888, Jul 8, 2015 IP
  5. Matthew Sayle

Matthew Sayle Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Depending on the domain, it should still have some value.

Certainly not as much as the other TLDs.

Matthew Sayle, Jul 8, 2015 IP
  6. sweetpea69

sweetpea69 Active Member

Best Answers:
    it's only worth something if it has any traffic that's converting, which I'd doubt. Exact searches isn't going to matter in this case.

And somebody owns the rights. You're running a site on the .net w/ the intent to profit from ads. NBC owns the trademarks btw.

No value.

sweetpea69, Jul 10, 2015 IP
  7. GamingOn

Best Answers:
    No NBC does not own the trademark look it up.

GamingOn, Jul 11, 2015 IP
  8. sweetpea69

sweetpea69 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I didnt do an exhaustive search because i was on the mobile and still am lol but i had quickly seen 2 trademarks held by universal television, which is nbc under a "heros" category for video games, computer, etc. They were just filed around the beginning of june 2015. Not the copyright as you had mentioned in your original post and as far as i can tell neither the heros show or heros reborn is based off comics. Marvel had some stories that were of the same name, but they dont/wouldnt own any specific claim to the name. The recent filing dates of the trademarks is what would shoot up the red flag. Caring more now than before with plans to launch products.

sweetpea69, Jul 11, 2015 IP
  9. GamingOn

Best Answers:
    Yeah and there are sites named heroessite and heroeswiki :)
    I did do a search at the patents office. They don't have trademark over "heroes reborn"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
    GamingOn, Jul 11, 2015 IP
  10. gilescoley

gilescoley Active Member

Best Answers:
    Its best to stay away from names like this, they can take the name from you if they want to file a lawsuit

If you were starting your own business on heroes being reborn or something else totally unrelated, then that would be fine, its about usage when it comes to domain trademarks....but you have blatantly shown bad faith here by referring to the show and said that is the main reason you registered it. This kind of names is how you get the domain squatter label, its just not worth it....

I wish you all the best though

gilescoley, Jul 14, 2015 IP
    dcristo likes this.
  11. GamingOn

Best Answers:
    It is not trademarked. Thanks

GamingOn, Jul 14, 2015 IP
  12. gilescoley

gilescoley Active Member

Best Answers:
    Its still squatting on a domain. You have indicated why you registered it??

gilescoley, Jul 16, 2015 IP
  13. GamingOn

Best Answers:
    Definition: Cybersquatting (also known as domain squatting), according to the United States federal law known as the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act, is registering, trafficking in, or using an Internet domain name with bad faith intent to profit from the goodwill of a trademark belonging to someone else.

Again it is not trademarked and I have no plans on selling to NBC

Defenses to ACPA lawsuits. If the accused cybersquatter demonstrates that he had a reason to register the domain name other than to sell it back to the trademark owner for a profit, then a court will probably allow him to keep the domain name.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
    GamingOn, Jul 16, 2015 IP
  14. gilescoley

gilescoley Active Member

Best Answers:
    oh ok, so you arent selling it, is that right, you plan of developing it? What are you developing it into? You have already admitted to using adsense on it, there are ads on it from the TV show?? I cant understand how this is not obvious to anyone, especially since you have been a member since 2009

Go on one of the other domain forum and put this question up in the legal forum and see what replies you get, you will get answers from some of the best internet layers around

Cmon mate, its not rocket science for anyone on here to figure it out.

gilescoley, Jul 16, 2015 IP
  15. GamingOn

Best Answers:
    I can sell it as long as I don't plan on selling it to company NBC. :) I don't need your answers it isn't a registered trademark and I'm not selling it to NBC. Thanks though.

I'm developing it into the #1 Heroes Reborn blog ! :D

GamingOn, Jul 17, 2015 IP
  16. gilescoley

gilescoley Active Member

Best Answers:
    ok good luck with it, its how domainers get the squatter label though, your call though

gilescoley, Jul 18, 2015 IP
  17. James0234

James0234 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Based on my understanding of copyright law, it doesn't matter if a name is trademarked or not, a trademark merely shows intent to register a mark (R). It's a voluntary disclosure to warn others that you may intend to file for a registered mark at a later date. It is still infringement of copyright even if the mark isn't registered anywhere, if its name is already known as belonging to a company in a specific niche/industry. Trademarked or not matters little in this regard. You just have a better defence in court as opposed to defended against a registered (R) mark infringement, that's it. And I doubt that defense will hold when it's shown that you're using the mark in the exact same niche as where it's already established. I suggest you consult a lawyer who may confirm the same.

James0234, Sep 13, 2015 IP
  18. goscript

goscript Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Not sure what's the point of the thread then. You don't like everyone told you the contrary of what you wanted to hear.

The domain has no resell value, so trying to sell it to someone else is cut from the start. You are left with trying to build kind of a blog as you mentioned and hoping you'll make some Adsense money, until someone decides they want to lock your website.

goscript, Sep 13, 2015 IP
  19. George Robertson

George Robertson Peon

Best Answers:
    Some people confuse patents, copyrights, and trademarks. Although there may be some similarities among these kinds of intellectual property protection, they are different and serve different purposes.
    Copyright is a form of protection provided to the authors of "original works of authorship" including literary, dramatic, musical, artistic, and certain other intellectual works, both published and unpublished.
    A trademark is a word, name, symbol or device which is used in trade with goods to indicate the source of the goods and to distinguish them from the goods of others.
    Trademark rights may be used to prevent others from using a confusingly similar mark, but not to prevent others from making the same goods or from selling the same goods or services under a clearly different mark. Trademarks which are used in interstate or foreign commerce may be registered with the Patent and Trademark Office. The registration procedure for trademarks and general information concerning trademarks is described in a separate pamphlet entitled "Basic Facts about Trademarks". A patent for an invention is the grant of a property right to the inventor, issued by the Patent and Trademark Office. The term of a new patent is 20 years from the date on which the application for the PCT patent search (http://www.ipkcenter.com) was filed in the United States or, in special cases, from the date an earlier related application was filed, subject to the payment of maintenance fees. US patent grants are effective only within the US, US territories, and US possessions.
    The right conferred by the patent grant is, in the language of the statute and of the grant itself, "the right to exclude others from making, using, offering for sale, or selling" the invention in the United States or "importing" the invention into the United States. What is granted is not the right to make, use, offer for sale, sell or import, but the right to exclude others from making, using, offering for sale, selling or importing the invention.

George Robertson, Jun 18, 2016 IP