1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My Auto Poster - A good idea or not?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by Rezo, Jan 1, 2007.

?

Is it a good idea?

1. Very nice, keep it up like that.

30.8%
  2. Limit the posting interval/number

38.5%
  3. Disable the poster completely

30.8%
    Hey all,

Today I was wondering if the auto forum poster, wich I managed to get work is a good idea. It basically posts ~150 threads/15 minutes. The articles are querried from other article databases and of course, include link back, so everything is perfectly legal. I have no concerns about that.

However, my question, is it a good idea this forum poster? I have placed it in a hope to start some activity on forums. Shall it stay, shall I remove, or shall I limit the posting interval/number?

Need your advice. Please vote or comment.

Btw here's the URL: www.forums.antolage.com

Rezo, Jan 1, 2007 IP
  2. JKhoury

JKhoury Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I had a quick look around, and I think your members would rather a community where users would actually post their own information.

Sure, a link to a good article every now and then is perfectly normal, but having a forum built purely on links to articles isn't a very good look, and doesn't really entice potential members.

The auto poster concept is a very interesting one, and could somewhat be usable if you could somehow get it to produce unique, quality and appropriate content (much easier said than done).

I'd be very interested in any further developments on the software.

JKhoury, Jan 1, 2007 IP
  3. Rezo

Rezo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well you see, my aim is NOT making it a community built on purely articles. Since I am desperate :)D), I find that way attractive to users. I mean no one would register on a forum with 300 posts, but on one with 100,000 they'll think. You see, the aim of this is "attracting" users from the first view.

Thanks for your comment :)

Rezo, Jan 1, 2007 IP
  4. JKhoury

Best Answers:
    Usually potential members have a read of the type of content on the forum before signing up, and if it's just a bunch of articles they won't sign up.

However, I think you could benefit from the auto poster if you dedicated a forum to linking to articles, or if you could make it more intelligent.

P.S - I noticed you signed up on vBShack, welcome aboard. :)

JKhoury, Jan 1, 2007 IP
  5. Rezo

Rezo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In fact,

The idea wasn't to querry articles and send the links to them. It was just for test (11,000 posts for test lol), but I am now trying to find forums wich use RSS in their discussions, so we can querry their discussion with different users assigned by me.

I still haven't seen your vote, can you please take time and vote :)

And yes, I have joined your board :)

Rezo, Jan 1, 2007 IP
  6. JKhoury

Best Answers:
    I never noticed the thread was a poll, vote added now. :)

JKhoury, Jan 1, 2007 IP
  7. Kel

Kel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What a great idea!! I think its a great way to add some volume to your forum and the information is helpful so I think it should go well! I would probably get rid of it when the forum gets going but well done! :)

Kel, Jan 1, 2007 IP
  8. vitaminp

vitaminp Peon

Best Answers:
    ive seen some sites that already do this, which i surprisingly found through google (surprisingly no dup. content issues were raised?). as soon as i see 0 replies and xx views to every thread i am not interested in the forum. so its definetley not a way of getting members

HOWEVER i have checked out tools and other things the sites have to offer. maybe you could offer somethign extra other than a forum?

i also hate these types of scripts simply because one forum who did this got a thread from a private forum i (used) to be a regular member of... which led to some major consequences

vitaminp, Jan 1, 2007 IP
  9. 993ti

993ti Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm using it on another forum of mine where it gets the video's and events that are posted on my main site.
    Works great but would be better if users posted and replied to it themselves.

993ti, Jan 1, 2007 IP
  10. forumrating

forumrating Notable Member

Best Answers:
    should have frequent intervals, you don't want your forum to be run by auto posts, it might create negetive effect to the board.

forumrating, Jan 6, 2007 IP
  11. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I agree totally. If you insist on keeping the auto-poster, why not go the extra mile and install one of those AI bots to reply to the posts made by the Auto-Poster? That way you'd have no need for human members at all.

minstrel, Jan 7, 2007 IP
  12. Endurer

Endurer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I guess any member can spot auto posted topics & they'd never wish to post in a topic. I'd feel stupid replying to a bot. It'd be a lot better if you could post those topics yourself with a forward looking style.. something your members can reply to.

Endurer, Jan 7, 2007 IP
  13. dietcoke

dietcoke Guest

Best Answers:
    I think if you limit it its a good idea :)

dietcoke, Jan 10, 2007 IP
  14. edr

edr Guest

Best Answers:
    A bot is a bot is a bot - call it a member if you want - but it's still a bot and still just scraping content and dumping it into a forum. Real writers and real content will have a unique voice and engage others.

edr, Jan 13, 2007 IP