1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My articles are not selling!What are some of the possible reasons?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by jimwriter, Nov 22, 2012.

I have tried selling my articles in the marketplace of this forum to no avail. Before selling, I always make sure the articles pass Copyscape and are 100% unique. Although I am not a native, my grammar and writing skills are not bad. In addition, I have accounts at Triond, Ezine and Yahoo! Voices contributor network where I occasionally post my articles. How will I convince buyers that indeed my articles are worth buying? I have tried posting links of my published work but still my efforts are not bearing any fruits. Any help, from both buyers and sellers, will be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
    jimwriter, Nov 22, 2012 IP
  2. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    One of my tasks at work is to proof read. Look at your thread header,you have no space between your exclamation mark and your next sentence.
    Things like this will make prospective clients pass you buy.
    (You can now edit:))
    Also try being original and avoid coming across as boring and over trained..

Spoiltdiva, Nov 22, 2012 IP
  3. jimwriter

jimwriter Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thank you.

4. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    You have not finished editing my friend. Now go back to your thread header and place a space between your sentences. Trust me when I say that clients do notice errors like this.

5. jimwriter

jimwriter Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I have corrected, unless there is something else.

6. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    We have two writers under contract where I work. But when things go into overload we do hire writers on a temporary basis to do piecework as well.
    What we look for is competative rates,work experience,and most of all...references.
    If you cannot showcase these three particulars then you will be overlooked. Perhaps you need to accent these more in your resumes and promotions?

7. tanveerhabib

tanveerhabib Member

Best Answers:
    Is there any one who can tell me how to do that.

tanveerhabib, Nov 22, 2012 IP
  8. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Are you a webhost or a writer? I suspect your signature isn't helping your cause either.

YMC, Nov 23, 2012 IP
  9. TextServices

TextServices Active Member

Best Answers:
    Tell you how to do what?

TextServices, Nov 23, 2012 IP
  10. TextServices

TextServices Active Member

Best Answers:
    I haven't actually read any of your articles, so I can't comment on the subject matter and quality of your articles directly.

Some things to think about:

Why should a potential buyer consider you and your work over hundreds of other article writers out there?

Do you have a professional website that potential buyers can visit, learn about you and the service that you are providing?

Do you offer fair pricing for the quality of work that is being offered?

Do you come across as a professional, someone who is capable of producing quality work, or do you appear to be someone who is trying desperately to sell an article? Are you trying too hard to sell the articles as if you don't sell an article or two, you won't eat dinner tonight? Point being that you don't want to be too agressive, pushy, and you definitely don't want to appear desperate to sell these articles. (Even if you do need the money.)

Are you using a thread title that will get noticed when you make a post offering your articles?

Are your articles actually interesting, offer some value, or are they just like a ton of other articles covering the same topic?

What are you doing to get yourself noticed and considered from all of the other writers out there?

You have to remember that you are selling yourself first and then the articles. Why should a buyer consider you? What are you offering them? Are you presenting yourself well in the posts that you make to sell your articles? Spend the money to register a domain name, pay for hosting, and create a respectable / professional looking website. Use the website as a sales tool. Don't register with some free hosting deal where you get a domain such as jimwriter.freewebsitehost.com. That doesn't look professional.

TextServices, Nov 23, 2012 IP
  11. pamon

pamon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    have to agree with others. look and write professional with no grammar errors and come across with a professional look. then maybe some might sell.

pamon, Nov 23, 2012 IP
  12. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    That is excellent advice...next time you post,try using capital letters when you start your sentences.:)

Spoiltdiva, Nov 23, 2012 IP
  13. Jennifer Hernandez

Jennifer Hernandez Peon

Best Answers:
    You know what I have found works the best? VOICE. Develop a really good voice in your articles. Have a really good story telling voice. If you read tech articles, even though you may not see it at first, you find that the best of them have a really good voice in their articles. They speak to the audience and relate to them. Really, look at an article for a processor. The writer is relating to the reader at the same time as presenting the good and the bad about the latest Intel processor or AMD. Read articles from many different sources, and don't look at their grammar (though that is extremely important) but try to identify their voice, see how the writer is pulling you into the article. That, my friend, is one of the reasons why they are paid $50 an article.

Jennifer Hernandez, Nov 23, 2012 IP
  14. leachy

leachy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are small things wrong with your writing that will put most clients off. For example in the above quote you say "links of my published works". While this does make sence most writers would say "links to" my published works. Also while the phrase "not bearing any fruit" is being used correctly, most native writers would never use that phrase, it just seems out of place.

These are common errors made here at DP my non-native writers and to be fair they are understandable. When I write in French I probably make simmilar erros all the the time because I don't understand the cultural context of different words and phrases. My advice to you is avoid colorful language all together. Never use phrases like "I will endevour to be the greatest writer on the forum" because it just comes off as weird. Also avoid calling clients sir, that just isnt done in proffesional western circles and it flags you as a non native strait away. You may do neither of these things but it things like that you should try and avoid.

Get help from fellow writers if you are unsure about something, make use of the community.

leachy, Nov 25, 2012 IP
  15. Jennifer Hernandez

Jennifer Hernandez Peon

Best Answers:
    Well said, I also believe there are simple things that people do to make themselves stick out like a sore thumb. That sir thing is extremely annoying sometimes when its used for every third word in an email. And it doesn't matter to some that I am a woman, and not a "sir" to begin with.

Jennifer Hernandez, Nov 25, 2012 IP
  16. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    I agree that leachy's post was well said but not well written. I counted five spelling mistakes, and due to this would have to think twice before I hired him.
    I always stress to writers that they MUST proof read before they submit...............writer 101.:)
    Even one spelling mistake or punctuation foible, can turn prospective clients off.....slow down and take your time!

Spoiltdiva, Nov 25, 2012 IP
    browntwn likes this.
  17. Sphor

Sphor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you have left over articles, I suggest starting up your own blog and monetizing it with ads. There is lots of competition when it comes to selling articles

Sphor, Nov 25, 2012 IP
  18. guypeleides

guypeleides Peon

Best Answers:
    It sounds like you're just making "content for the sake of content", rather than content that sells. I'll give you an example in SEO. Most people write a "what is SEO" article and then just talk about the basics. It's boring and it doesn't make anyone want your service. Compare that in your mind to someone doing a case study trying to rank a website with certain types of links and documenting their progress. Which one of those would you find more interesting?

If you want, PM me some of your content and I can give you some pointers.

guypeleides, Nov 25, 2012 IP
  19. Lokahi

Lokahi Active Member

Best Answers:
    So you would want to see links to previously published work samples? How about reviews from former clients, as well? That would be a good thing, right?

Lokahi, Sep 26, 2013 IP
  20. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Not so much into links as I (we) can't be bothered. But reviews......absolutely yes. That more than anything will elicit that all important phone call. (potential full/part time contract)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
    Spoiltdiva, Sep 26, 2013 IP