1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My and Not on others sites!!!

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by ATLien, Dec 2, 2004.

Ok, I just spent 5 mins browsing sites on the network waiting for one to display my link, but they never did. I must have viewed over 100 pages. I saw sites repeated that I know have much higher weight.

What is wrong? Did I do something wrong in the setup? I am validated with a weight of 88k+. I would think my ads would be shown alot with that high of a weight, but I have not seen them once.

ATLien, Dec 2, 2004 IP
  2. flawebworks

flawebworks Tech Services

Best Answers:
    I've seen you; don't worry.

flawebworks, Dec 2, 2004 IP
  3. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    where is the list of those on the network?

joeychgo, Dec 2, 2004 IP
  4. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Pissed though Imay be as I write this,

Through the haze, again, I can't help but wonder why shawn doesn't instigate tracking for us.

He ceratinly has no problem doing it for himself, as he recently demonstrated - we all have to change code, and urls are bloated with additional class data.

With a single line of code he can insert a simple element in the hrefs that allows us to uniquely identify our own ads. He defers to reasoning like, unneccessary code, and ad code bloat, all the while willing to do it for his own tracking purposes.

The problem here is accountability. He just figures he's gonna ride the popularity thing, with total disregard for participant confifdence.

Good for him - bad for us.

I may be pissed, but hey - I know bullshit when I see it.

Problem though - the network itself is a major asset. He's riding this, even though we all contribute from our hip pockets - we have confidence in him and the network - but we need to be sure of how the network benefits us.

I think it's bloody irresponsible. Screw everyone else, so long as I have confidence - that's all that matters. I think that sucks.

He knows a simple line of code will do the trick.. so why does he sidestep every suggestion that might lead to a real, demonstrable picture of the network ?

Maybe he just cant be bothered. It shits me. The damn thing works. Why not let ppl confirm that for themselves. :(

Ahh.. that felt good.

Shawn ? why do you consistently sidestep all requests - even when they're simple with minimal impact, to allow ppl to check for themselves ?

Grrrr. (umm.. did I mention I use the network and dont have a grudge - just a need to quantify ?)

Cheers,

JL (I'm drunk and having a fine time btw.. just saying what I wanted to say days ago - courtesy be damned) :)

john_loch, Dec 3, 2004 IP
  5. LinkBliss

LinkBliss Peon

Best Answers:
    I have seen a lot of Linkin Park ads.

Eric

LinkBliss, Dec 3, 2004 IP
  6. Arnica

Arnica Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi ATLien

Take a look at your backlinks on the MSN search beta. Plenty of network sites shown so undoubtedly your ads are on the network.

Mick

Arnica, Dec 3, 2004 IP
  7. rwhetsto

rwhetsto Peon

Best Answers:
    I've seen the Linkin Park ads also. I checked your AIA ranking and SERP placement and your at 6 in the AIA and 37 in the SERPs. Not sure where you where before, but I bet these are better numbers.

John, chill out there buddy, Shawn has implemented two of the features that I have requested and a few others that other people have requested. This ad network is getting better each month with the improvements he has made. Personally I don't need to see exactly how many pages my links are on, I have Yahoo and MSN Beta to check out the links. If it slows down delivery of the ads, if only by a little, I would rather not have this feature. Also, just because he "sidesteps" all the requests doesn't mean he's "bloody irresponsible". Can you imagine all the requests that Google gets. Just because you think it's a good idea doesn't make it a good idea!

rwhetsto, Dec 3, 2004 IP
  8. zamolxes

zamolxes Peon

Best Answers:
    Also, if you want to see exactly how your ad was displayed when the page was crawled, check the cache version.

zamolxes, Dec 3, 2004 IP
  9. ATLien

ATLien Peon

Best Answers:
    What is AIA abd SERPs?

ATLien, Dec 3, 2004 IP
  10. zamolxes

zamolxes Peon

Best Answers:
    AIA = "allinanchor:" results
    SERP = real search engine results

zamolxes, Dec 3, 2004 IP
  11. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    SERP = Search Engine Results Page

SEbasic, Dec 3, 2004 IP
  12. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Also, for the record, the so called "tracking" that was implemented recently is for nothing more than to keep runaway sites (that for whatever reason are not caching ads and slamming the server with requests) from happening. It's a rolling counter that is reset (and not historically tracked) every 24 hours. If your server makes an excessive number of queries in a single day, a flag is throw up. That's the extent of it.

As far as why impression tracking code is not implemented...

I already am having both bandwidth and server hardware limitations (the database server averages 230 SQL queries per second 24/7). The whole reason ads are cached rather than served live with every page view of every user is it would be an extraordinary amount of bandwidth and server resources needed. Which means the only way that tracking would ever be implemented would be direct to a tracking server specified by by the person creating the ad, and I don't know about you, but I don't want to rely on the stability of other people's servers in order to make my page completely load. Because of that, such tracking mechanism would be optional per site (whether or not they want to report to your server or not for impression tracking).

So no, it's not a big conspiracy on my part against everyone else.... Do you understand that now??? The ad network is free, if you have so many complaints about how terrible it is, my best suggestion would be to simply not use it.

digitalpoint, Dec 3, 2004 IP
  13. crew

crew Peon

Best Answers:
    Back to the original point about ads not showing...They take up to 100 hours to be fully propagated and for you to get the full impact of your weight. So that may be part of why you haven't seen your ads.

crew, Dec 3, 2004 IP
  14. ssl

ssl Guest

Best Answers:
    and what would tracking be good for? I don't see the purpose in it. the system works as is, so let it just be.

ssl, Dec 3, 2004 IP
  15. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Hi all,

Well, I'm glad I got that off my chest, even if everybody did partially misconstrue (my own fault) what i was saying. I was sitting down over a heady coffee this morning when it came back to me.. Bline for the computer.. I didn't really post that did I ?.. sh@t.

In advance Shawn, I must apologize for calling you irresponsible. That was well, irresponsible. - after all, even if I feel the network could improve, you're still doing a damn fine job, and I can't believe I actually posted that.. :(

I think I should clarify.. do read on, I think it impacts everybody, not just me.

The tracking I was suggesting, was nothing more than a way to uniquely identify individual ads (an extra element in the href tag, like your class element), NOT INSTANCES of those ads, NOT IMPRESSIONS of those ads, just the ads themselves.

As it stands, the only way to see where ads are appearing, is to search against the anchor text. So, anybody who's at all concerned about where their ads are appearing, has to ensure their anchor text is unique. Nice until someone else uses the same anchor text.

My proposition had nothing to do with tracking ad impressions or the like (and I'm at a loss to understand where i implied that).

It was simply a suggestion that an additional element be introduced to the hrefs, just as the new class element has. A simple title element (which is good seo practice anyhow) would suffice.

I'll admit my post was a bit extreme, but it was driven (mainly) by the fact that the response when I suggested it was an out-of-hand "unnecessary code". It was a simple request that I had thought about and explored with the very obvious issues of overhead, and the time involved. I wouldn't have even gone there if I hadn't seen the very same approach (the new class) for network management purposes.

I'm sure the simplicity of my proposal isn't lost on either you Shawn, or other developers here. It's a single line of code on your side, and no more bloat in ads than the class element you're using. I know for example that an *option* of simply entering perhaps 6 or 7 unique chars that appears in a title element, rather than a description that rarely appears on sites anyway, or perhaps a unique id generated internally (no need for content parsing/checks/whatever then) would do wonders. No loss to anyone, code implemented in what 15 mins ? ZERO (or microsecond process impact), and voilla !

Straight forward I thought - there may be drawbacks to this I'm unaware of but I do think my suggestion had merit, and continues to have merit, not just for me, but *for everyone*, especially those who refuse to participate without some way to externally quantify ad distribution/placement.

For me, the network forms part of a larger picture, and as a result it's difficult to identify which of my ads originate from the network vs other distribution channels.

I would much rather see the ad network go from strength to strength, rather than lose out because of simple confidence factors. I'm beginning to think that maybe people just don't care, but if players (professionals, with dozens if not hundreds of large quality sites) turn the network down because they can't track something as simple as where/how many ads are currently indexed, everyone loses out.

And yesterday, unfortunately, it happened. That's how the cookie crumbles.

Either way, the network continues to grow, and as it does, the need to quantify the basics in real world terms will persist. I don't think there has ever been a question of whether the network works. I've always advocated participation. It's simply about *how* it works.

PS: Is there a penalty for drunk and disorderly ? :eek:

JL

john_loch, Dec 3, 2004 IP
  16. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well then I misunderstood, the whole time I thought you were talking about an per impression counter that came back and hit the server every time someone viewed it (and really would come back and hit 5 times at once because many sites run 5 ads at a time).

That being said, I don't think a simple addition of a title tag would be a big deal, but how exactly are you able to track something based on the title tag on your end?

digitalpoint, Dec 4, 2004 IP