1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My 2006 AdSense Summary - From $10/Week to $800/Week

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by Burta, Dec 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sysop

sysop Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah... what we all need is focus on what we're doing. The more we focus on our project, the more income should it generate.

sysop, Jan 2, 2007 IP
  2. adwordaffiliate

adwordaffiliate Active Member

Best Answers:
    I can see why you're getting good traffic to some of your sites, popular nice ;)

adwordaffiliate, Jan 2, 2007 IP
  3. Blogspotter

Blogspotter Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You sure do mean it when you said you write unique contents. This was also one hell of a content. :) and thanks for such a motivating post. I hope you reach your 10000/m soon.

Blogspotter, Jan 2, 2007 IP
  4. damien

damien Guest

Best Answers:
    Did you submit your articles anywhere particular?

damien, Jan 2, 2007 IP
  5. Diddy1

Diddy1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow this thread is getting some Internet recognition. I just came in from a problogger link to here.

Thank You

Diddy1, Jan 2, 2007 IP
  6. Tyler Banfield

Tyler Banfield Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    "There’s a nice post over at Digital Point from a guy Burta who talks everyone through his journey of growing an online income from $10 to $180 per week (over a year) - via Yaro"

I left a comment to correct the $180 typo

Tyler Banfield, Jan 2, 2007 IP
  7. Burta

Burta Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ahahaha - Maybe one day when I have another two figures at the end of my checks... :rolleyes:.

It's great to hear that you have gained something out of this thread, and I'm more than happy to offer any clarifications on things that I may have only skimmed over or if anyone has any other questions I'm generally more than happy to answer them.

Well if you are going to do something you may as well do it to contribute not just to your bank balance but to other people as well - that way everyone wins. It goes back to my belief of if you want to succeed at selling/marketing anything you need to be offering "value".

No I just linked them between my sites - but like I said a few of them were referenced by a few other places so that offered a few backlinks. If something is of good quality generally with time it will develop its own backlinks, but giving it a good push in the right direction by getting a few backlinks through directory and article submissions etc helps as well.

I have noticed!

A number of the more popular "money making/entrepreneurial" blogs seem to have picked it up and decided that it was worth a mention - which I'm very pleased to see. I honestly didn't expect this sort of response - but I sorta wish I had - that way I could have had some dodgy viral marketing campaign planned, where I could capitalize on all the attention it is receiving - but alas I didn't... :rolleyes: - oh well next time, :D.

I suppose the only thing I can do to capitalize is say that I have a personal blog in the works which I will document a lot of my online vetures, it will be called CNC Venture, but that is months away I imagine, and I didn't really plan for it to be some big branding initiative like Shoemoney or anything - rather just a documentation of some of the things I have been working with and how I do what I do. Basically something that people can use as source of good ideas and information, but I guess all online entrepreneur's blogs start out that way.

In addition to that I also at some point down the line plan to do up a nice ebook that will go into a lot more depth than the blog about the nuts and bolts of what I do and what I know in regards to SEO, AdSense, marketing and making money online - but I'm planning for that to be free - so I guess I wouldn't really be capitalizing on all the attention this thread has received even if I had the ebook ready... :rolleyes:.

Burta, Jan 2, 2007 IP
  8. longroad

longroad Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I read the first page but havent had time to read the rest.
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, although Burta you seem more than wise enough to have thought of this yourself!

I'm talking about alternate/additional forms of revenue. If you are making $800/week with Adsense, I will assume you have some pretty decent traffic coming in.
    Have you tried affiliate marketing at all? This could potentially be ten times more lucrative than Adsense, provided your niche/s have affiliate products you can promote.

longroad, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  9. Kel

Kel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oh wow. Ive got so much to learn but I have learnt a little bit in the short time Ive been here.

Its great to read stories of peoples success. It adds hope lol.

Kel, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  10. Burta

Burta Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I do dabbled in affiliate programs.

About 6 months ago I was having some success with them, but I was running them in conjunction with my AdSense rather than in place of my AdSense, though the affiliate I was with started to produce pretty low conversion rates so I gave them the flick and gave affiliates a break for awhile because they weren't really justifying their position on my pages. Though with my recent success in the last 3 months in particular, I realized that I was over committed to AdSense and started to try and build up some alternative sources of revenue so I went on the hunt for some new affiliate offers and I have found a couple of reasonably good ones and have started to advertise them on a portion of my sites.

With that said AdSense is still the major source of my site's revenue, but I'm always looking for more/alternative sources of revenue - but at the same time I'm also careful for not lose sight of the fact that first you need a quality website to place advertising one before looking for advertisers.

Burta, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  11. longroad

longroad Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How many sites are you running at the moment?

I'm guessing some or all of them would be of high enough quality and traffic to warrant charging people for advertising?

longroad, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  12. Burta

Burta Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I running about 4 - 5 sites that are of signifcance, and I do charge advertisers on some of them.

Burta, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  13. progress

progress Guest

Best Answers:
    What a great read. Congrats Burta!

Despite the fact I'm a Kiwi, I'll give credit to a successful Aussie ;)

I left my day job in October 06, and have been working on increasing my various streams of income. Long way to go till I'm where I want to be, but hell I'm my own boss now so thats a dam good start!

You work with much user generated content? Or are you the primary writer across all your sites?

progress, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  14. GeorgR.

GeorgR. Peon

Best Answers:
    the almost "scary" part of it that SEO basics are so hard NOT... some can very quickly catch up with the basics how to write a good webpage (in SEO terms)..starting from keywods, metatags, mod_rewrites, certain hacks for forums etc., importance of H1 tags/bold etc..etc....

Then have your bookmarks with some online SEO testers and some software, read up here and there...and you SHOULD be able to put up a good site with potential good SEO. Its NOT something you have to study for years - at least not the basics, it's *relatively* simple.

The other thing is ad-placement...whereas some things there are also obvious...

That those "small" changes can have a huge impact on earnings is fascinating.

I often see me in the habit looking at other sites source-code and thinking, WHOW, those guys might do way better if they just would do this or this....things you can do in MINUTES...and there are plenty of sites which lack the most essential things, starting with no keywords meta tags, wierd descriptions...and of course not the little trickier stuff like mod rewrites and use of .htaccess.

GeorgR., Jan 3, 2007 IP
  15. Makaveli2007

Makaveli2007 Guest

Best Answers:
    Hey..nice story...I only started 3 months ago and have to agree with most of the stuff. I have a question, though:

I've been thinking the best way to make money from your targeted traffic would be selling e-books and affiliate products. That way you could get more money out of your traffic, but then again it requires more work, which you could put into getting more traffic..so I guess it really comes down to the type of site.

But: Aren't you scared some click-happy guy out there will just do some click fraud on your site and your whole income is gone?

I've read, that's happened more than once, before...do you use any effective programs to prevent click fraud?

Are there really no promising alternatives (the Yahoo ad thing wouldnt work for you either, being from Australia, I guess ;-()

Makaveli2007, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  16. sparksflying

sparksflying Peon

Best Answers:
    This is great stuff and a pleasure to read!
    Thanks again!

sparksflying, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  17. Burta

Burta Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I work with both - I find that the user generated content is great and obviously doesn't require a lot of work, but as can be expected they are rarely writing for search engines so sometimes you are required to tweak their content if you are expecting to use it as a means of generating traffic from search engines. Obviously I also write my own content - but in the big scheme of things it is a fraction of the amount that some of my users generate, but at the same time a well optimised and good quality article is almost always going to out perform user generated content, so I find that it's actually a lot of my own works that are pulling a good amount of my site's traffic.

No it's not - thankfully the vast majority of people in this world think it IS too hard so they never bother - but that is the story of success, it is normally just the people that can be bothered to learn and try new things that succeed .

I so often approach family and friends explaining almost completely how it all works and just how much they can make and they still are completely uninterested! That's just the way some people are.

If you are new to this game and you jump straight into the world of online marketing and start trying to market that you firstly have no interest in (outside making money) let alone try to tackle an industry where thousands of people are doing the exact same things except that have years of experience and budgets 100 times bigger than your own - chances are you won't get too far.

I mean I know a lot people head that way - but I honestly believe that the best way to start out on the web is to do something you enjoy first, make mistakes on your own personal site that you are developing for love and not money - that way you can learn all the basic lessons that you need to learn without risking your dinner at night. The internet has loads of people trying to make a buck off it, and you are competiting with people from all over the world so you'd want to make sure you are ready to compete before your start stepping into the ring. But that is just my take.

I know that there are a lot of people out there making a killing on the internet selling things they couldn't care less about but my guess is they have learnt a lot of lesson from their past experiences many of which were lessons learnt doing something they were passionate about and therefore they enjoyed the learnign experience.

Anyway you go with your ventures, best of luck for the future.

Am I scared - yes, but at the same time Google isn't stupid, I have been working with them for over two years now and whilst I'm making good money with AdSense they are no doubt making a pretty penny as well with me being their publisher. As long as I abide by their TOS and work with them to avoid such pitfalls I'm quietly confident they will be more than happy to work with me as well.

That said these sorts of things are largely out of your control so whilst it is a good idea to have some contingency plans and try to spread you income across multiple revenues streams (which to a degree I have done - and I do more everyday) there is no point losing sleep over it.

Plus I like to think that generally I'm a pretty nice guy and I don't really pick fights or do acts which would warrant people "attacking" me or my sites - rather I'm normally pretty forthcoming and more than willing to help, and I think this thread is a pretty reasonable example of it. So I guess I just put a lot of faith in the good nature of people (which is something that I firmly believe in) and to be completely honest I think that when put faith in the good nature of people they generally will do their utmost to live up to it. That said I'm aware of the way some people can get when they are interacting in a community from behind a computer screen - but I'd still like to think for the vast majority the same ethics apply online as they do in life.

Burta, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  18. samnova

samnova Peon

Best Answers:
    Do I feel lucky today ?
    First of all, congratulation Burta, great posting. Oh, and I did not feel it was too long, actually ended up reading (quickly) all replies :) Will be reading it again later.

Second, I never heard about Digital Point before, guess I will be spending some time reading tonight and maybe also write a bit.
    Oh, and time to order those two books mentioned in this thread, thanks.

samnova, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  19. progress

progress Guest

Best Answers:
    Yup I hear ya, a mix is often the way to go. As long as theres plenty of user content it can bring in a nice spread of phrases as well of course.

Some of my sites only have a few thousand user generated pages but bring in a heap of traffic combined - which is always nice.

progress, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  20. zexy

zexy Guest

Best Answers:
    Excellent post, Burta!

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience with us, it's much appreciated :)
    Good luck man!

Oh... and I'm waiting for your next article - "$800/Week to $8000/Week" ;)

zexy, Jan 3, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.