1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My 2006 AdSense Summary - From $10/Week to $800/Week

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by Burta, Dec 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hyperpower

hyperpower Peon

Best Answers:
    wow this is one hell of a long and solid post!

Great stuff here, hey can you show me a sneekpeek or 2 how your site looks?? Man your income has become my goal!!!

hyperpower, Jun 6, 2007 IP
  2. Burta

Burta Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Actually I have "slightly" modified it largely to comply with the "clarification" of the Google AdSense TOS in regards to images next to ads. I originally got approval for my templated but in early April they asked me to modify it slightly because they changed their mind, :p, nothing too major though. I saw about a 10% earning drop from those pages as a result, but otherwise things are essentially the same and going from strength to strength. Though I will probably look at redesigning my template in the hear future, just to spruce it up and tweak it a bit more.

You should - people, myself included, always love reading threads like this.

LOL to be completely honest, for the most part, I have no idea what you are talking about. It sounds like you are trying to be cryptic and hide some details - if you don't want to make specific details public please feel free to PM me what you think because I don't really understand what you are saying at the moment.

Also thanks to everyone that has given me rep or has tried to give me rep - I always appreciate it.

Burta, Jun 6, 2007 IP
    anions likes this.
  3. anions

anions Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the motivation :)

anions, Jul 3, 2007 IP
  4. surfstang

surfstang Peon

Best Answers:
    Congrats and great post.

I really agree in terms of the quality over quantity. If an online business really has a business value which fills a need the rest is just hard work.

Your post was motivating to me to do things the right way.

Thanks.

surfstang, Jul 3, 2007 IP
  5. okabija

okabija Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Very nice post and result you got from adsense.
    how do you increase your traffic ?
    could you give suggestion to my site ? www.forexrecipe.com

okabija, Jul 10, 2007 IP
  6. qwestcommunications

qwestcommunications Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Are things still keeping up for you?

qwestcommunications, Jul 10, 2007 IP
  7. kma221

kma221 Peon

Best Answers:
    what blogs or where exactly to submit site or articles

kma221, Jul 10, 2007 IP
  8. jacky88

jacky88 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank for your information. That is a amazing post.

jacky88, Jul 10, 2007 IP
  9. sysop

sysop Peon

Best Answers:
    These thread has gone long way until now. Look like everyone including seasoned webmaster are looking forward to this thread. What a wonderful thread.

sysop, Jul 10, 2007 IP
  10. faldo29

faldo29 Active Member

Best Answers:
    What started as a year-end report turns into a soap opera.:D That is in the sense that everyday, there is some new twist in the thread.

I spent two days going through each and every one of the posts because if I had a question, I didn't want it to be a repeat of something that was already posted. I've been lurking in this forum for about a year now and this will be my first post because this thread is really so substantial. Anyway I'll save my questions for last.

I would like to add my 2¢--this is with regards to what some people say about getting all the information for free through these kinds of forum as against what Burta recommends that it is worth investing in some ebooks and resources. For those starting out, sometimes it is difficult to grasp the idea of investing on some resources. I felt that way at the start too. Later I realized that there are some good ebooks that will drastically cut down the learning time. As a full-time work-at-home father, time is not on my side. So it is a good idea to set aside a modest budget something like $200 and spend it wisely.

Now for the question--is it possible to offer too much comprehensive information to the point that your visitors don't click on any adsense ad? Let me elaborate--some people say that the reason why visitors click on adsense ads is because the information that they came looking for is lacking so they click on something relevant to find out more. On the other hand, if your site is so packed with information that it satisfies say 99% of the visitors' questions, then they'd just leave and not click anymore. This question is not just for Burta but for anyone else who'd like to jump in.

And the second question is for Burta--seven months after your post, how are your adsense earnings doing?

Props to Burta for sharing selflessly.

faldo29, Jul 11, 2007 IP
  11. totalmasala

totalmasala Banned

Best Answers:
    wow! really great....nice post

totalmasala, Jul 11, 2007 IP
  12. kojakfilth

kojakfilth Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nice.. i will try the your adsense placement technique to my site and see if its really works.. :)

thanks
    KOjak

kojakfilth, Jul 11, 2007 IP
  13. banks1

banks1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Great post. You are a GOD. loool

banks1, Jul 11, 2007 IP
  14. Burta

Burta Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I just loaded your site to take a quick look and the first two things that flew out to mew are - you are not using your "above the fold" space very well, reports show that people decide whether they like a site or not in under 1 second - so if that "above the fold" view doesn't convey the message to your visitors that they are going to get what they need on this site then you will lose A LOT of casual browsers. You can fill the above the fold space with content or ads, but I'd be filling it with something if I were you.

Secondly I highly recommend you look into Search Engine Optimization (SEO) at the moment your site could probably be doing a lot more this regard.

I'm going to leave my review there because unfortunately don't have time to give everyone individual reviews (thus the reason I started this thread) and those were just two things that flew out to me, but just by applying many of the principles suggested here on the forums you can could improve things a lot.

Yeah things are going fairly well, I'm doing better than I was when I started this thread.

Honestly I don't really bother submitting my sites or content to directories or article repositories. For the most part I have found those sort of inbound links to generally be quite weak. I mean I do some minor link building but for the most part it is about getting links on sites that are very related to my own. After that I generally just try to let my quality content do its own link building.

Thanks - I think this thread's popularity really took me by surprise, but to be completely honest, now 6 months later, I'm starting to think that I might need to start a whole new thread with my revised stats and increased understanding of the online marketing industry. I have many new insights since I first started this thread. The only thing is that I'd probably want to release my next update on my own personal blog so that I could capture some of the benefits of 40,000+ views and loads of inbound links of this thread.

Thanks for reading it in entirety and not posting the same questions that others have posted - it says a lot about the attitude you have. That said I never mind responding to people's questions but it does get a bit annoying having to respond to the same questions due to people's laziness.

That's pretty much it exactly. Also when you pay good money for something you are not only going to get a succinct and informed response, but more often than not you will get those extra bits of really good juicy information that really can make a big difference because the author generally is a lot more willing to give out the rarely given advice because they are being reimbursed financially for that advice.

Only a couple of weeks ago I spent about $400 at Amazon and bought 15 - 20 books on a range of topics ranging from AdWord Optimization, Copywriting, General Marketing, Business Management, Effective Time Management, Economics, Psychology and all in a bid to expand my knowledge in areas that will hopefully directly impact on what I'm currently doing and help me diversify into other areas of business.

Human capital (aka personal knowledge) really is your leverage in life to gain returns on your time, the greater your knowledge and leverage the greater return you can get for your time. that is why people go to university and spend thousands upon thousands of dollars getting a degree (to increase their human capital). Now in my case I have over $20,000 in student loans so if I'm not willing to spend a couple of hundreds to directly improve my income then not only would I be hypocritical but I'd be a down right idiot.

Investing in yourself is hands down the best investment you will ever make.

Tough questions to answer, but a good question non the less. In two words - "it depends".

So in my industry the advertising isn't that niche it is quite broad, so when I write articles about a specific niche aspect of my industry the advertising that is displayed via my Google ads is still reasonably broad. So whilst my ads are definitely related they aren't specific relevant to every article I write. I'd actually say about only 10% of the articles I right have specific relation to the ads that are shown in my Google ads. However if you were in the business of say reviewing products I'd imagine that the content of your page would have quite an impact on your CTR and potentially the quality of the lead that your site wold provide which may effect the likelihood of your site being smart priced.

However I think it also depends on the position of your ads. So for example if you have veyr prominent ads above the fold and above your content you may well find that people come to your site and see the ads and go "well I was looking for information on X but that also looks very interesting too". In which case the content of your page doesn't really effect your CTR. However I'm assuming you are talking about having like a large rectangle unit at the bottom of the page, in which case the content, as mentioned above, may very well effect the CTR substantially. However I have always found that for the most part my earnings have been much more substantial coming from advertising above the fold rather than ad units at the end of articles, but this may very well be because I don't write my articles with the idea of generate a good quality lead for the ads at the bottom in mind.

So I guess this doesn't really answer the question definitively, but in short I think it comes down to - if you are information supplier that is monetizing with AdSense ads you should focus on being a good source of information because that is where the long term success is at (marketing is unsustainable if you are constantly promoting a shitty product - and marketing is almost unneeded when you have the best product in the industry). The only difference would be that your focus should be on monetizing via good ad placement rather than could copy writing to generate a lead or getting visitors to click the ad. Most AdWords advertisers aren't stupid - they know how to get people to click their ads by using good copy writing, so I just leave that up to them and focus on good content.

On the other hand if you are attempting to generate leads or sales throw the process of good copy writing in your content or being vague so they visit advertisers then AdSense probably isn't the best form of monetisation anyway, affiliate partnerships and direct product sales might be a lot better.

As mentioned above things are going better than they were when I started this thread.

No problem - happy to help.

Burta, Jul 12, 2007 IP
  15. Game Producer

Game Producer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good post again Burta - wish you more success.

I'd like to add one thing:
    I still suggest submitting SOME good articles to blog carnivals. They are pretty good for getting free backlinks, and they can also bring decent amount of traffic. Just watch out that you don't spam the carnivals, but send to relevant that fit your topic.

Game Producer, Jul 13, 2007 IP
  16. uyma

uyma Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Really good article, we are waiting for your 2007 tips :)

uyma, Jul 16, 2007 IP
  17. fruitllama

fruitllama Peon

Best Answers:
    This thread proves again that content is king, and there's no substitute for hard work. The Internet is an information resource, not a place for fads.

fruitllama, Jul 19, 2007 IP
  18. wokaka

wokaka Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow $800 is huge. I wish I could match your earning one day

wokaka, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  19. modeca

modeca Peon

Best Answers:
    Fantastic post. I'm going to try and use your template sketch as a basis for one of my new sites. Thanks for the real world solid advice. It's very encouraging to hear someone's success story who is not bragging about making 10's of thousands a month.

Here's to your continued success!

modeca, Aug 20, 2007 IP
  20. djp1988

djp1988 Peon

Best Answers:
    So are you making your 10,000 $ a month yet Burta?

djp1988, Aug 20, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.