1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

MX records query

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by Ajeet, May 12, 2005.

Hi,
    I have two quick questions regarding MX records. Could you please help me:
    1) Do I change my MX records at my domain name provider or my hosting provider?
    2) My email provider (different from domain provider as well as hosting provider) has given me only one MX record with priority 10. Does this mean that there will be no MX record with priority 0? I know they should be the ones answering this, but they always seem to answer a question different than the one I ask :mad:
    Thanks for your help
    Ajeet

Ajeet, May 12, 2005 IP
  2. dct

dct Finder of cool gadgets

Best Answers:
    1) I think you need to do this with your hosting provider
    2) With the priority it is just the lowest number that is tried first, not sure why they choose to use 10 so often (all my backups seem to be 20) but that should be fine, I'm not sure if 0 is even allowed

I find providors are notorious for answering different questions to those asked.

I think the answers I've provided are correct but I've only just mastered my A,B,C's and am a big time novice with the MX subject

dct, May 12, 2005 IP
  3. jbw

jbw Peon

Best Answers:
    You change them at the place that is hosting your nameservers. This could
    be either one depending on how you set things up. Most seem to use their hosts these days.

It means that yes, with only one MX record that is the one used, so priority is a non issue.

jbw, May 12, 2005 IP
  4. Ajeet

Ajeet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks dct, jbw.

Ajeet, May 12, 2005 IP