1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

music that can't be downloaded

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by d16man, Apr 3, 2007.

I have a friend who is a professional musician, and he want's to put some of his original stuff on his site. Is there a way to code it so that the music can't be downloaded, but still listened to? He wants people to buy his CD's instead of downloading his music for free.

d16man, Apr 3, 2007 IP
    8everything and Will.Spencer like this.
  2. shekz

shekz Peon

Best Answers:
    gotta be something in PHP

shekz, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  3. ottodo

ottodo Guest

Best Answers:
    the best thing is to edit the sound files and add the copyright as a sound, this is the only way to copyright the music online,

ottodo, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  4. d16man

d16man Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    great post...you won't be around long...
    thanks, I will check into that and see what I can come up with.

d16man, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  5. alexei_aus

alexei_aus Active Member

Best Answers:
    you can apply for a license and format the audio to WMV format with license

alexei_aus, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  6. superrichguy

superrichguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is no real way to stop the downloading, just make it so that your music has talking over it or not the full song, just a small highlight. LIke myspace has it disabled so you "cant" download it (you can look at thier code to see how they do it?) But if you just listen to the song and then check the cache its all right there ready to download. It will stop some of the people from doing it but all it takes is one person and then they put it up on bitcomet or somewhere else.
    Good luck
    Jason

superrichguy, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  7. tkilgore

tkilgore Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My guess is you would have to have it play in it's own "flash" or media player and not allow for others to download it unelss they take it with the embeded link .. :)

dedicated link = "back links"

tkilgore, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  8. TrafficToplist.com

TrafficToplist.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Ya, putting it in a flash would be a great idea, but it's still possible to extract it from a flash document, and getting a flash program nowadays from Macromedia isn't cheap. Or, is there another Flash program? Only heard of Macromedia, sorry if I sound dumb :p

If the music is played in something such as an IFrame, it's still placed in the Cache, huh? I guess your best bet would be just using a copyright, and putting it in Flash wouldn't be too bad, but it's still possible to take and redistribute the song (unless you, for example, name it fhj.swf and hide the name).

TrafficToplist.com, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  9. Xangis

Xangis Active Member

Best Answers:
    Another option you might want to consider is having the music hosted at Soundclick.com and linking to it from the website.

Soundclick is nice because you can set songs to be streaming-only AND you also get traffic and listeners from that site, not to mention the fact that you can sell songs as digital downloads.

You can also customize your Soundclick page to match the style of the band's webpage.

Xangis, Apr 4, 2007 IP
  10. d16man

d16man Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am wanting to have a few songs displayed with a player..the other option is having a player with a few songs in a random order that it plays. Thanks everyone for all the info.

d16man, Apr 4, 2007 IP