1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Multiple websites

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by rbay, Aug 11, 2004.

Do those of you who have multiple websites, use the same hosting company or do you spread it out? Is it true that a link from the same subnet/hosting company will be seen as less valuable to Google?

rbay, Aug 11, 2004 IP
  2. Arnica

Arnica Peon

Best Answers:
    I generally use a few 'reliable' hosting companies so most sites are in the same block. Doesn't seem to affect the sites unduly. The issue has cropped up on a few threads in the forum with the usual split in which way the posters think. Personally I think Google is unlikely to penalise links from sites in the same block (unless, of course, the linking method is unethical ;) ).

Mick

Arnica, Aug 11, 2004 IP
  3. Nitin M

Nitin M White/Gray/Black Hat

Best Answers:
    I am down to 3 servers now. I have lots of IP addresses because my hosts let me add IP's in blocks of 8 and each block comes in on a diff class C.

Lately my paranoia is focused on the registration lookup on domains. I have too many domains under my own name and get all new registrations as private.

Nitin M, Aug 11, 2004 IP
  4. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    are most (any?) dedicated server providors able to offer IPs from a different c block but still on the same machine?

I know you'd have to pay for the additional IPs, but is it possible to get them from a different block?

disgust, Aug 11, 2004 IP
  5. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    I usually set a limit of 5 sites per host. I've broken that rule a couple times though :D

As far as penalizing (or in any way discounting) sites/links from the same IP block...I don't think Google does that. Haven't seen anyone post any info that leads me to believe they do, and some of my own experiences have demostrated to me that they don't.

GuyFromChicago, Aug 11, 2004 IP
  6. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yes, it's possible for a machine to have multiple IPs from different class-C blocks.

digitalpoint, Aug 11, 2004 IP
  7. payoutwindow

payoutwindow Peon

Best Answers:
    The value of the links is not affected by where the site is hosted ... I currently have two sites at one host ... working on two more and will probably use the same host ... I also don't have any rules when it comes to sites per host yet.
    I like the hosting company and the service I get... and to me thats what really matters first and foremost. I also find it easier to work with one type of control panel and server setups.

payoutwindow, Aug 11, 2004 IP
  8. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    I moved one site to test the IP-block theory, but the test results were inconclusive.

It doesn't appear to have any effect.

I currently believe that the theoretical "IP address/block penalty" gets undue credit for the dampening effect of the theoretical "Limited number of links counted from one domain to another domain/page."

Will.Spencer, Aug 12, 2004 IP
  9. l234244

l234244 Peon

Best Answers:
    Out of intrest how many sites do people actively run, I only have three

l234244, Aug 12, 2004 IP
  10. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    About 30.

10 - 15 of them can be found through following my various signature links in forums, then following other links on the sites you end up at.

I have what I refer to as my "mini web" of 15 (and growing) sites that I don't ever post links to…linked through DMOZ and couple of other lesser-known sources. Those sites are used primarily for off page seo for clients, so I keep them "private" to protect my client's confidentiality.

GuyFromChicago, Aug 12, 2004 IP
  11. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    I have about 50 that I manage and I keep them all on the same server using shared hosting and about 10 IP's. I've never found there to be any issue with links as my old site, www.itlent.com is still at pr5 even though there is no longer any content on the site. This is because of all of the sites I've created that still link to the site.

I've found it to be much easier to administer one server on one host than deal with separate services.

mopacfan, Aug 12, 2004 IP
  12. Sorvoja

Sorvoja Don't hide my ads!

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Just to be on the safe side, I am renting a unique ip-address (I try to get unique C-blocks too.) for most of my web sites.

Sorvoja, Aug 12, 2004 IP
  13. stephfoster

stephfoster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    4 here, working on #5, planning #6.... keeps me out of too much trouble.

stephfoster, Aug 12, 2004 IP
  14. l234244

l234244 Peon

Best Answers:
    wow, my 3 websites sound pathetic, although I do help some of my friends out with theirs which would make it up to 7. For those of you with 10+ sites are these aimed at non-competitive keywords?

I find it time consuming carrying out updates and link exchanges for 3 sites I can not believe how much work is needed to maintain 30-50.

l234244, Aug 13, 2004 IP
  15. radsoft

radsoft Guest

Best Answers:
    Presumably those with 30-50 must have stable sites that have been around for some time and therefore need little maintenance.

radsoft, Aug 13, 2004 IP