1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Multiple ad units

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by paradox, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    I've asked G, but they take their time.

I use the wide text-only display, which yields 4 small text ads. I then went to using, on some pages, two of those. The second is typically blank, but so it goes.

Well, I thought to myself, self, let's collapse those blanks. Sure, enough, that works fine--but, it reduced the text-ad content of the wide display from 4 to 3.

Say wha?

Does using any alternate-ad URL do that? If so, any theories on why?

(For now, I removed the collapser part, because I'd prefer 4 ads to 3, on the theory that that makes it 1/3 more likely that a visitor will see something interesting enough to click on.)

Owlcroft, Sep 2, 2004 IP
  2. Chiara

Chiara Peon

Best Answers:
    This is great. Three skyscrapers work great on blogs - before I just had a bunch of white space after the Google ads ended because the blogs go pretty far down the page. Now the ads go almost to the end of the posts. Should be interesting to see if CTR goes up.

Chiara, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  3. Weirfire

Weirfire Language Translation Company

Best Answers:
    It's interesting what they've done.

Could be interesting putting several smaller ads on pages rather than 1 large banner or skyscraper.

Weirfire, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  4. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    Ok i have an issue with multiple ads. On one page it works fine, on another I only get one out of three ads. I don't understand the difference in pages. Any clue why one one of three may show up?

TwisterMc, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  5. l0cke

l0cke Active Member

Best Answers:
    Probably because google does not have enough ads for your content.

l0cke, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  6. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    But on a very similar page there are three. Weird, maybe i'll try adding more content but I don't believe that's it. ;)

TwisterMc, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  7. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    This is why I created my own internal ads to fill up the page when G does not have enough to fill three units. Most pages get filled by G but on those that don't, my own ads appear.

TM, I think that either G does not have enough ads for your page or it has not had enough time to make the additional matches. I've noticed that at first, several of my pages only got one unit filled. Now they are starting to get the second and sometimes third unit filled as well. In any case, you need a good fallback so you don't get psa's even if it's your own content.

mopacfan, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  8. msaad

msaad Peon

Best Answers:
    urrmm... pardon me, but how did you do this? Looks to be a very interesting idea...

msaad, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  9. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    Since my site is database driven, I tapped into the sponsors table, added fields for ad title and ad text then wrote some code (ASP) to randomly grab these from the database and display them in a format that mimics the adsense ads. I hope to drive traffic internally to keep visitors longer and maybe click on more adsense ads.

mopacfan, Sep 3, 2004 IP