1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

msplinks and Myspace

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by gabrielangel, Apr 21, 2007.

I've noticed that a lot of recent Myspace comments point to msplinks.com/skeugoK4ls .... well after the slash it's always a bunch of random characters. I thought it was another phishing/hacker thing, but it redirects to the location that the link was intended for.

I don't know exactly why ... it might be to stop passing PR and/or better detect spammers.

gabrielangel, Apr 21, 2007 IP
  2. superrichguy

superrichguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I noticed that today too. I posted an ad for someone and when I went to click on the link it had that for some reason? I tried to enter in the url only and it turned up an error page...
    The website is owned by myspace so I would think it is to detect spammers....

superrichguy, Apr 22, 2007 IP
  3. Colm O'Dwyer

Colm O'Dwyer Peon

Best Answers:
    I noticed this too; does anyone have a good list of other social networking sites because this is now going to cause havoc with my SEO?

I tried Friendster but it's not exactly easy to add friends; If I have to I'll get a Bebo account but I really don't like that site.

Anyone got a good list, that allow linkbacks in the comments area?

Please share...

... I'll start:-

http://www.bebo.com

Cheers,

Colm

Colm O'Dwyer, Apr 22, 2007 IP
  4. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is normal, myspace is going after spammers now.

BigBadWolf, Apr 22, 2007 IP
  5. gabrielangel

gabrielangel Peon

Best Answers:
    Well if that is the fact, then my next target on my way to #1 in google will be in trouble. They have thousands of myspace links from comments, so I would love to see them take a dive.

All those myspace comment websites are gonna freak out when they find out.

gabrielangel, Apr 22, 2007 IP
  6. Colm O'Dwyer

Colm O'Dwyer Peon

Best Answers:
    By the looks of things it doesn't affect any links made prior; although it's obvioulsy a dent in the SEO campaign from now on in.

If ever the "Don't put all your eggs into one basket" adage was appropriate...

Colm

Colm O'Dwyer, Apr 22, 2007 IP
  7. checksum

checksum Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, good on MySpace. Very clever way of removing people trying to get good backlinks.

Unfortunately a lot of the spammers aren't interested in backlinks, just the traffic.

checksum, Apr 22, 2007 IP
  8. ecctao

ecctao Peon

Best Answers:
    I need alots of backlinks,who can tell me where to bay?

ecctao, Nov 6, 2007 IP
  9. ForgottenCreature

ForgottenCreature Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Myspace resource sites have also hurt from this. Traffic has gone down - and now you see less myspace website owners promoting on myspace however; if your site was promoted heavily on myspace before this change, then you shouldn't see any real effect.

ForgottenCreature, Nov 6, 2007 IP
  10. adigital

adigital Peon

Best Answers:
    Well after a year msplinks website is not working...

adigital, Nov 1, 2008 IP
  11. primeelite

primeelite Peon

Best Answers:
    msplinks really does nothing to stop spammers as spammers know they will not get PR. I think it does stop some people from clicking through because you can see what page you are going to exactly before you enter. I really do not see the real point in it though as they can easily just make all the links nofollow.

primeelite, Nov 1, 2008 IP
  12. lpstoops

lpstoops Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it's more for security of the computer belonging to the person clicking through. If we're talking about the same thing, it's a security link that ask the person clicking on it, if in fact they wish to view that site before they are redirected. I'm not sure how this effect SEO because your link changes after you post it...may not follow to your site anymore.

lpstoops, Nov 5, 2008 IP
  13. teraSEOdactyl

teraSEOdactyl Peon

Best Answers:
    that is correct guys. there were so many people dumping ANYONES code onto their pages which included invisible 1x1 pixel .gif's that redirected to phishing logins that Myspace had to put that up to scare anyone from hitting an external site. Also helps to keep you stuck in "their" myspace world.

teraSEOdactyl, Nov 5, 2008 IP
  14. primeelite

primeelite Peon

Best Answers:
    I think some of it does have to do with so many people leaving the site through links. The main thing was to stop the massive phishing that was going on. It has seemed to help them get back in traffic somewhat as they are going to a hybrid model where they have taken some ideas from twitter and some from facebook.

primeelite, Nov 5, 2008 IP
  15. lpstoops

lpstoops Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, but MySpace has fallen behind in my opinion. Facebook user count shot through the roof when they opened up to others that just college kids. They have a better platform and more control of their users. I think t his all adds to a much better experience for everyone.

lpstoops, Nov 5, 2008 IP