1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

MSN's RSS Feed being Abused?

Discussion in 'Bing' started by Infiniterb, Apr 7, 2005.

Anyone notice MSN's RSS feed being abused? For one of my terms I keep track of I have noticed some sites have an RSS feed of the first 10-20 sites on their pages. These links in turn show up as legit back links in MSN (it's how I found these pages to begin with). At times I don't see the links on the pages, at other times I do.

Does anyone else see this as a potential problem? It may work for MSN, but I'm not quite sure how effective it would be with Google or Yahoo.

Infiniterb, Apr 7, 2005 IP
  2. aspcoder

aspcoder Peon

Best Answers:
    Can u give site link or information in more details. i will like to do :)

aspcoder, Apr 7, 2005 IP
  3. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Do you mean the featured rss results are showing up as backlinks (ie the sites/links appearing in the feeds ?)

I suppose it's a way of contextualizing content, but it really only amounts to outbounds for the sites concerned doesn't it ?

Or are you thinking more along the lines of a network ?

Cheers,

JL

john_loch, Apr 8, 2005 IP
  4. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm thinking more along the lines of this:

You make a page highly focused on a topic. You've got decent results, and are currently showing up in MSN, but you aren't number one. In order to do that you focus on links with proper anchor text. If you wanted, you could create a page with the RSS feed from MSN for the range of pages that your result currently sits in and continue to modify that page as you start to rank higher. You will also help your neighbors in the MSN serps, but you constantly change your feed when you move up or down in the rankings.

It seems like with the MSN RSS feed it's something that has the potential to be abused. You could purchase a lot of .info domains (for free) and just put up one page documents with these RSS feeds. However, I suppose you could do the same thing with your own links on said domains, however the RSS feed provides constantly changing content.

As an example, take a look here:

http://quote5.carf.us/

I know this isn't an MSN feed (almost looks like a Google feed), but it could be used similar. I've noticed a LOT of these pages by doing link: searches on various top ranking domains on Google for my terms via MSN (since the msn backlinks are updated on a regular basis).

Infiniterb, Apr 8, 2005 IP