1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

MSN might have a sandbox!

Discussion in 'Bing' started by Stin, May 3, 2005.

1. Web Gazelle

Web Gazelle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    2-3 weeks is normal time and it is possible to be listed faster than that.

Web Gazelle, May 7, 2005 IP
  2. rubenmajor

rubenmajor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What I have noticed is that an actual site submittal to the SE will make them recrawl your pages if they have been stagnant for a while. I just did this. I submitted it and overnight my pages were spidered and my placement on the SERPs higher. :D :D :D

rubenmajor, May 7, 2005 IP
  3. Web Gazelle

Best Answers:
    Nice find!

Web Gazelle, May 9, 2005 IP
  4. anotherchancetosee

anotherchancetosee Guest

Best Answers:
    I'd agree with that. My site USED to be listed in MSN Search, sometime before they launched their *NEW* search. Now, nothing at all. Its a shame because I used to get quite a bit of search traffic from there. Now it all comes from Google and Yahoo really.

anotherchancetosee, May 12, 2005 IP
  5. Web Gazelle

Best Answers:
    Anyone know how the co-op is affecting your rankings in MSN? Do you see gains or losses because of it?

Web Gazelle, May 13, 2005 IP
  6. Stin

Stin Guest

Best Answers:
    man loves any links it sees, i dont think you can do anything to make msn mad

Stin, May 13, 2005 IP
  7. hurricane_sh

hurricane_sh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have a site which ranked #2 for a long time on MSN, recently dropped to #3, then I gave it some weight (quite a lot) last week, Today I found it dropped to #10.

That's my only observation and experience on MSN/Coop, it probably doesn't mean anything.

hurricane_sh, May 13, 2005 IP
  8. Web Gazelle

Best Answers:
    I saw some drops too but it may just be normal movement as I am trying to improve rankings.

9. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Google sandbox, yes. MSN, no.

I am ranking #1 & #2 on MSN for two HIGHLY competitive keywords and I attribute this to the co-op. Google does not list any ranking in the top 1000 for the same site (fully indexed) even for fairly non-competitive keywords.

mjewel, May 13, 2005 IP
  10. alias420

alias420 Guest

Best Answers:
    I haven't seen anything with my sites that would point to anything close to a sandbox. I've ranked #1 for for several terms all within 1 month. 1 week for some of the less competitive terms. Digital point definetly helps on MSN & Yahoo and even Google somewhat. I decided to test out the co-op and didnt do any backlinking to one of my sites just on page SEO. 1 month l8r I was within top 20 mostly top 10 for all my keywords. On all three engines. Since then Google rankings have fallen bit but MSN and Yahoo are still strong. I believe this is because of the rotating links nature of the co-op. I am now testing link-vault which seems to have fixed all the current issues with co-op (categories, language, perm links). I'll post my findings on that when I find out.

alias420, May 13, 2005 IP
  11. Web Gazelle

Best Answers:
    I am sure Google will see the co-op as artificial link building.

12. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:

The coop is no different than buying advertising on a site- except it is free.

I have seen no negative effects with the coop and google, and I am inclined to believe it has even helped in the SERP's. That's on 5 different sites. I also get a good number of click thru's from the coop.

Yahoo and especially MSN love the coop. If it ever becomes a liability, it would take about 5 minutes to remove.

mjewel, May 13, 2005 IP
  13. oziii

oziii Peon

Best Answers:
    I just saw all of my sites dumped by MSN in the last 24 hours. They might have just done some sort of update.

My sites were artificially high in MSN (I ranked number 1 for very popular terms on brand new sites) and I was expecting them to adjust it - it was fun while it lasted but I suspect MSN are becoming more accurate with their rankings.

oziii, May 15, 2005 IP
  14. Web Gazelle

Best Answers:
    I barely started the co-op with a site and saw my inbound links go from 93 to now 3,870 in MSN. I am thinking that gaining that many links in one week will be seen as artificial link building in Google.

Web Gazelle, May 16, 2005 IP
  15. alias420

alias420 Guest

Best Answers:
    oziii I have had been dropped from MSN several times for about 24hrs each time my site has returned with even better rankings. Others have had this happen to them so dont freak out I bet you'll be back very soon with good rankings.

alias420, May 16, 2005 IP
  16. rjhere

rjhere Banned

Best Answers:
    Msn does not have a sandbox... Just created a new site last week and is now number 1 for competitive money phrase. All backlinks come from other sites I own.

rjhere, May 16, 2005 IP
  17. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think so, I have a site created mid February, has maybe three links to it, by Mid March was #4 in MSN, and today is #2 of 7800 for one phrase and #1 of 4900 for another. The client is not paying anything extra for SEO :) so I've done the minimum.

macdesign, May 16, 2005 IP
  18. Web Gazelle

Best Answers:
    I am sure that MSN likes fresh content. Keep adding to and updating your site and you should be able to show up in MSN.

Web Gazelle, May 16, 2005 IP
  19. stephenmunday

stephenmunday Peon

Best Answers:
    My site (in sig) has never really appeared in MSN, despite it showing over 2000 backlinks and there being no technical / SEO reason why it should be so restricted.

It seems to me that there may well me an MSN sandbox (from similar stories I have heard). The difference with the Google version seems to be in scope: Relatively few people seem to have this problem with MSN, whereas G's version gets almost everyone. Just because sites A, B and C were listed and ranked well in days does not mean that site D is not being caught by some filter / sandbox effect.

I have hypothsized in a previous thread that it could be that the physical location of my servers is Japan. MSN is still in the process of building its database, so it may be that they have decided (temporarily) to focus on .coms that are US-based. That would explain my site's situation, but I haven't heard whether the other people experiencing this MSN filter / sandbox effect have similar conditions or not.

stephenmunday, May 16, 2005 IP
  20. desimasalaforums

desimasalaforums Peon

Best Answers:
    Thats true, msn has no sandbox.

desimasalaforums, May 17, 2005 IP