1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Msn giving different results (same search term)

Discussion in 'Bing' started by Bazkaz, Apr 9, 2005.

So I noticed something wierd today that I hope someone can explain to me. Does MSN have two different search engines?

If I search for "xbox games" from MSN.com then I get these results . Total returned pages: 637,389

However, if I search for "xbox games" from Msn Search then I get these results . Total returned pages: 276,888

There is also another MSN Search page here. This returns the same results as the MSN home page.

Even more intruiging is that when I'm using WordTracker they link to results for "xbox games" here. Total returned pages: 276,251 - Wordtracker uses these results to rank your keywords... interesting since the other MSN.com search was nearly 2.5 times higher results.

I was just curious what the difference between example 1 & 2 results are. Why is there such a difference in returned results as well?

Bazkaz, Apr 9, 2005 IP
  2. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Because you're using two different search engines.

The first one is the new MSN search.

The second one is the old MSN search.

The third you linked is the new MSN search page (which is what MSN.com uses).

Infiniterb, Apr 9, 2005 IP
  3. crazyhorse

crazyhorse Peon

Best Answers:
    When you mistype any URL in the IE address bar, MSN searches via sea.search.msn.com
    e.g. try typing hootmail.com in your IE address bar, it will redirect to http://sea.search.msn.com/dnserror.aspx?FORM=DNSAS&q=hootmail.com

The page gives recommendations for similar sites to visit,

Did you intend to go to one of these similar Web addresses?
    www.hotmail.com
    --------------------------------------------------------
    You can also visit one of these related Web sites.
    MSN Hotmail

You could be getting traffic from sea.search.msn.com if your site is featured in these recommendations.

There is more on this topic on the wmwforum, but i forgot the link

crazyhorse, Apr 9, 2005 IP
  4. Bazkaz

Bazkaz Peon

Best Answers:
    So when I see results in my keyword trracker they are for the new MSN search?

Bazkaz, Apr 9, 2005 IP
  5. Chrissicom

Chrissicom Guest

Best Answers:
    Hmmm when I mistype something in IE it uses the new MSN search since yesterday, before it used Google. I think that just depends on your settings which SE is used when you type a wrong url or a simple search term instead of url.

Chrissicom, Apr 10, 2005 IP
  6. Jordi

Jordi Peon

Best Answers:
    Tremendous, there are three different MSN Search pages?
    What are their urls?
    I use to go to www.msn.com and insert "link:www.mypage.com" to see the results of the backlinking.
    Correct? Or should I go to a different page?

As a matter of fact, the website has had already more than a certain amount of backlinks and suddenly lost in numbers. It is a walk at the boarder of desperation!

But actuallly I am happier with msn than with Google. Google does not make such a precise counting (STILL!) as msn.
    As a matter of fact, with Googe it s impossible to observe the growth of backlinks nowadays!!!
    But, if you know better or have any suggestions, please kindly let me know.
    Thank you!

"Anone who loves in the expectation of being loved in return is wasting their time."
    http://www.warriorofthelight.com

Jordi, Apr 16, 2005 IP
  7. Chrissicom

Chrissicom Guest

Best Answers:
    Well at least for me www.msn.com and search.msn.com gives me the same results on all terms I tried.... I don't know any other MSN SE pages. It's possible that some regional pages like msn.co.uk or msn.de show different results, but that's the same for all SEs.

Chrissicom, Apr 17, 2005 IP