1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

MSN catching up to Big G

Discussion in 'Bing' started by kepa, Feb 2, 2005.

Each day, google is slipping to msn

Google 336 domestic referrals so far today
    Google Int'l 60 (turkery, uk, china, australia, peru etc.)
    AOL (I suppose can be counted towards Google?): 120
    totalling 526 referrals today

beta.search.msn.com 144
    search.msn.com 116
    totalling 260 referrals so far today

Yahoo only 118

Is msn catching up to google for anyone else?

(I need to qualify the above stats by saying that my rank for all my main keywords are nearly identical on both Google and MSN, so for all intensive purposes, they are equal in that respect).

kepa, Feb 2, 2005 IP
  2. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    msn has been finalized and there's press around it. I'm sure it has drawn some extra attention, to say the least.

david_sakh, Feb 2, 2005 IP
  3. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am getting more and more from MSN every day. :)

ResaleBroker, Feb 2, 2005 IP
  4. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    My rankings in MSN are superb, just don't bring in the amount of traffic I would like, but it's certainly improved, and at last we have some sort of competition in the search engine world..

Now if Yahoo could only get their act together.

DarrenC, Feb 2, 2005 IP
  5. thebassman

thebassman Asleep at the Keyboard

Best Answers:
    I'm getting more than double traffic from MSN over Google now... but being in the top couple for a term like photography is helping a lot.

thebassman, Feb 2, 2005 IP
  6. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    today: Google 49%, Yahoo 35% and MSN 16%
    last month: 53% 26% and 16% and the others 5%
    Last year: 46% 27% 23%

So overall traffic seems to be dropping from MSN, but ranking is way better on the KWP we watch. It may be those obscure phrases that use to bring more traffic from MSN.

I am very hopeful for the new MSN ranking though, I will be watching this ratio more carefully now.

debunked, Feb 2, 2005 IP
  7. bigslowrock

bigslowrock Peon

Best Answers:
    Evidently, MS is going to be advertising the search engine during the super bowl. I'm sure that will help thier traffic out a bit

bigslowrock, Feb 2, 2005 IP
  8. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    and ours... omg... I have to get good msn rankings by sunday {panic} :)

nevetS, Feb 3, 2005 IP
  9. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    umm getting more referals from MSN just means your rankings are better in MSN

I have 2 sites that both rank nubmer 1 one in google , and one in yahoo and MSN

so far the yahoo/msn has sent more referals for the term

ferret77, Feb 3, 2005 IP
  10. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    I am sure that everyone at the googleplex is also running around like a chicken with their head cut off with the release of MSN and the articles that have been released about its advertising campain. As it has been stated by several people, Googles days are numbered and Google knows it. Unless Google does something to change their serps and make them more relevant, the fat lady is warming up her voice.

I am no expert but I see better programing in the MSN SE. You dont see a lot of known cloakers and spammers in MSN that always rank well in Google. I think everyone who is siding with Google is under estimating MSN for the capable technology they have for their search system. Looking at this possible new update from google, it looks like to me they are about to dig themselves into a deeper hole, but we will see. Either way MSN is headed for the top and IMHO there is nothing Google can do about it, stats dont lie.

Our real estate sites have a 3 to 1 ratio over Google between MSN and Yahoo. I am seeing even a larger increase since the release of MSN. I believe after the start of the ad campain on Feb 7th we may see even a greater increase in our real estate business. If the ad campain drives more users to MSN and these users get the information they are looking for Google is toast.

Las Vegas Homes, Feb 3, 2005 IP
  11. dfsweb

dfsweb Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am not too sure whether to be happy or not, to see MSN's growth. I rank well on MSN but not on Google (actually nowhere on Google) as it's still a pretty new site.

Now, if MSN is to take over a big chunk of the market share that would be good for me 'cos I rank better on MSN and would mean more traffic. BUT, if Google keep slipping we might start losing Adsense revenue if advertisers stop advertising with Google.

I suppose getting traffic's more important in the long run, 'cos you can always switch to other affiliate programes, even if Google folds up.

dfsweb, Feb 3, 2005 IP
  12. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    What the world needs is for Gigablast and other SE's to step it up. With google being a public company now, their focus will turn more towards revenue generation and while we don't see it now, we will begin to notice when they start nickel and diming things to make stockholders happy. The only thing that will keep them in check is competition.

nevetS, Feb 3, 2005 IP
  13. CanadianEh

CanadianEh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Didn't Google just announce earnings of a Billion in their last quarter, much better than last year. Adwords are quite a sweet revenue source.

MSN doesn't seem to have a sandbox which is much better for newer sites.

CanadianEh, Feb 3, 2005 IP
  14. CanadianEh

CanadianEh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No problem. You can easily advertise with Overture or with MSN when they take over their own advertising (I be they will).

CanadianEh, Feb 3, 2005 IP
  15. gchaney

gchaney Peon

Best Answers:

gchaney, Feb 3, 2005 IP
  16. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Good rankings in MSN doesn't mean persistent rankings. Nor do I feel results are particularly relevant in MSN. It takes no where near the effort to rank a site well in MSN as it does in G, though that's not really a measure of relevance either - yet. Once ppl start abusing the ease with which you can rank, MSN will fall under the weight of it's own irrellevance.

That said, I'm enjoying the honey :)

Cheers,

JL

john_loch, Feb 4, 2005 IP
  17. dfsweb

dfsweb Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well ..... I wouldn't completely agree with that. I do agree that it's simpler to get good rankings on MSN. But, that doesn't make the results irrelevant. It's just that MSN isn't biased towards the biggers sites like Google is. Once you get a high PR, you can rank well for just about anything on Google, even if it has nothing to do with your website. Don't you think that makes the SERPs irrelevant?? :)

dfsweb, Feb 4, 2005 IP
  18. clasione

clasione Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I've got some rediculous rankings in MSN and their becoming a bigtime referrer for me......Hearing lots of press and seeing lots of television ads for them also here in the US...

MSNbot seems to be nesting out on my server.... :eek:

clasione, Feb 4, 2005 IP
  19. luisfernandez

luisfernandez Peon

Best Answers:
    For me, Google still counts at least twice as much as MSN.

luisfernandez, Feb 4, 2005 IP
  20. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    I know that within the real estate industry the results in MSN are A LOT more relevant than they are in Google. I have found in google in a few cities plus real estate, everything from online drug companies, to sites with nothing but links to all types of products, but because they are aged and have links and title tags related to real estate they rank for those cities. This includes buying cars online to insurance.

Google has shot themselves in the foot trying to outsmart the webmasters. They also are doing this because anything real estate is a big money word for google to try and drive more and more Realtors to adwords. I am personally looking forward to watching google, their IPO and the search engine fall flat on its face, because of nothing more than greed.

Las Vegas Homes, Feb 4, 2005 IP