1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

MSN beginning to drive traffic

Discussion in 'Bing' started by mcfox, Apr 28, 2005.

I have noticed on one of my sites that msn is now beginning to drive significant traffic. The site is health related and has been around for long enough for me to know the stats very well.

Typical traffic is a searcher seeking specific information; which tells me they aren't finding it on Google and are instead beginning to use MSN to get answers to their questions.

I believe this to be an indication of Google's ongoing dilution of relevancy of results. People are beginning to move to the engine that currently delivers - MSN.

mcfox, Apr 28, 2005 IP
  2. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    Right now I think it's a matter of time before they start driving more traffic. Some niches get great traffic in MSN, others not so much. It reminds me of AltaVista a couple of years ago. Though most of the world had moved away from them, there were still several niches where altavista could generate some serious traffic.

MSN is on the opposite path though. They are gaining momentum instead of losing it.

nevetS, Apr 29, 2005 IP
  3. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    I noticed they are almost up on Yahoo for me. Which has never been the case until now.

From what I can tell they are happy to take .1% a day for a long time rather than trying to turn everything on its head.

Design Agent, Apr 29, 2005 IP
  4. gford

gford Peon

Best Answers:
    I would tend to agree MSN is growing. Here are some statistics from my site:

Month Google % MSN % Yahoo %
    April 72.23% 23.55% 4.22%
    March 84.52% 8.87% 6.61%

I should note this is only google.com/search. I could go and add up all their other sites (uk,australia, IP data centers) and it would be higher.

gford, Apr 29, 2005 IP
  5. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    What I find particularly significant about this shift is the type of people who are altering their search habits. The group I cater for on that particular site are mainly internet-savvy information seekers. They may not be internet savvy in the sense that most of this forum are but they are fairly savvy when it comes to searching and will search using the most effective engine.

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- when google altered their algo, they altered the magic formula that kept their results the most relevant and had led to their domination as a force in search. Unless they can find a way to recover relevance, searchers are going to move onto an engine that will.

mcfox, Apr 29, 2005 IP
  6. JoeO

JoeO Peon

Best Answers:
    I have one term on the 4th page of MSN bringing me some good traffic.

For another site I am listed #1 in MSN and getting almost nothing from it (This same term does quite well on Google).

So most defiantly it depends on the niche. I find the more a less technical person is likely to search for a term the better it does in MSN.

JoeO, Apr 29, 2005 IP
  7. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    I wonder how those people that had msnbot blocked feel now!

Remember all of the people that were crying about msn's bot sucking too much bandwidth?

Crazy_Rob, Apr 29, 2005 IP
  8. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I can't imagine it was much bandwidth, unless something was wrong on their sites. Or maybe lots of images that the bot was pulling??

Anyways, it is nice to have so many top listings in MSN.

Weird thing lately is movement for specific kWP on both MSN and Yahoo have been very similar.

debunked, Apr 29, 2005 IP
  9. larysmith711

larysmith711 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    MSN is giving us OK traffic. OVerall it's about 7% for our sites that are in all three.

larysmith711, Apr 29, 2005 IP
  10. AfterHim.com

AfterHim.com Peon

Best Answers:
    MSN is giving me about 60% of my traffic, 25% from yahoo, .06% from Google and the rest are links.

Site has been open for about a month, and I'm very excited to see Google pick it up soon, it is a very informative site with a initial PR of 4 after this last update. Inner pages all have pr3.

Brandon

AfterHim.com, Apr 29, 2005 IP
  11. Dirkjan

Dirkjan The Dutch SEO Guy

Best Answers:
    Usually I dont follow these threads, MSN isnt getting more visitors... Until today.

My well established website (over 5 years old) never really got traffic from MSN.... Until today... It just started.. It always was Google 70% and Yahoo 25% and 5% random from engines like MSN, Ilse, Altavista, Lycos etc.

But today I checked, from last 78 searches (last 100 referred people) there were equal from MSN as Yahoo:

1. www.google.com 46
    2. www.google.ca 8
    3. search.msn.com 5
    4. search.yahoo.com 4
    5. www.google.com.ph 1
    6. www.google.de 1
    7. www.google.cl 1
    8. www.google.com.mx 1
    9. www.google.at 1
    10. www.google.fr 1
    11. fr.search.yahoo.com 1
    12. www.google.nl 1
    13. www.google.co.za 1
    14. www.google.it 1
    15. www.google.com.au 1
    16. www.google.com.co 1
    17. www.google.co.uk 1
    18. vivisimo.com 1
    19. www.google.com.br 1
    Total 78

I didnt change anything, nor did my MSN positions change too much last week.. I know I can be found, but so far MSN just had no traffic related to my searches. It looks like they start to get more visitors? New messenger helps?

Dirkjan, Apr 30, 2005 IP
  12. gford

gford Peon

Best Answers:
    Dirkjan,

One day of data is statistically meaningless. You need to look at 30 days or more and how the trend changes.

gford, Apr 30, 2005 IP
  13. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    five searches could be one or two people.

Crazy_Rob, Apr 30, 2005 IP
  14. lovethecoast

lovethecoast Peon

Best Answers:
    We rank about the same across all SE's for our money terms (generally 1st or 2nd place) and MSN is really starting to provide some decent traffic for us. We're seeing about 60% google, 21% yahoo and 18% msn in terms of search traffic.

In terms of conversions, msn is on par with google, leading to about 2% conversions. Yahoo wins this hands down with close to 6% conversions in our industry.

Addited: Google has been losing ground with msn, according to our stats. Yahoo has held steady at around 20% while google has been loosing ground.

lovethecoast, Apr 30, 2005 IP
  15. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    I've been watching for a while and MSN is consistently pushing around 80% - 90% of the traffic of google.com. The other google datacenters drive more than that again. Yahoo hasn't changed much one way or another.

mcfox, May 1, 2005 IP
  16. Clearwater Florida

Clearwater Florida Peon

Best Answers:
    IMHO it will take some time for MSN to drive a lot of traffic to site owners. I do however see in the future MSN becoming number 1 out of all the SEs. At this point I have not seen a lot of traffic from MSN but I do not expect this to stay this way. MSN is trying hard to market their SE and it will only be a matter of time before they make huge gains against google and yahoo.

Clearwater Florida, May 1, 2005 IP
  17. gford

gford Peon

Best Answers:
    For my sites, all search engines combined make up maybe 1/4 of my traffic. Most of mine come from referrer sites and direct hits.

But MSN is currently #2 and rapidly closing the gap.

gford, May 2, 2005 IP
  18. aix4200

aix4200 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    cool, you are lucky. My site is also up for a month and got indexed on yahoo, Google and MSN ....

but not much traffic getting around 10-20 visitors a day :confused:

any suggestions ??? :confused:

aix4200, May 5, 2005 IP
  19. gford

gford Peon

Best Answers:
    Tons of content

Tons of hard work contacting people for recip links

Tons of directory submissions

Consider google adwords?

Keep plugging away at it!

gford, May 5, 2005 IP
  20. dazzlindonna

dazzlindonna Peon

Best Answers:
    I put up a new site about a month ago. Today, MSN drove over 9000 users to it. How much do you think I love MSN?

dazzlindonna, May 5, 2005 IP