1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

moving to new server

Discussion in 'Google' started by ssalinks, Jan 14, 2011.

I've read few articles on impact of moving site from one server to another one. but all gives different out come.

Due to some reason I need to move my client app from one hosting server to another one and before I do this change I would like to know the impact of it as the major source of traffic is google organic search result.

if you have done such movement could you pls share your experience?

ssalinks, Jan 14, 2011 IP
  2. nirajkum

nirajkum Active Member

Best Answers:
    it does not impact much if your site is new you can take the risk ... otherwise stick with this server ...

nirajkum, Jan 14, 2011 IP
  3. ssalinks

ssalinks Peon

Best Answers:
    well the site which is in question isn't a new one its almost 2 years old, does this means it will have impact?

ssalinks, Jan 14, 2011 IP
  4. PaulMc

PaulMc Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi, a friend of mine moved servers recently and he had some issues restoring resulting in days of downtime, it took Google two weeks and his traffic is back to normal.

Make sure your new server is faster, and try to minimize downtime (upload all files and make sure it works then switch nameservers) and you should be fine really.

I am not basing my reply here on any proven facts but Google has to be smart enough to know it shouldn't penalize a website if it moved from one server to another unless your new server is slow/problematic/has spammy sites in it etc..

So pick your new server after lots of research, and minimize downtime and you should be OK.

PaulMc, Jan 14, 2011 IP
  5. StevePro

StevePro Peon

Best Answers:
    As long as your not changing domain name there should be no real effect on your Google rankings. Just changing server and IP address will not effect the rankings - the only scenario where this would have a negative effect is if the new server is a lot slower than the old one, effecting your page load times.

I have moved vary large sites from one server cluster to another with no effect on the Google rankings.

As PaulMc mentioned above, if your site has any downtime this could have an adverse effect - if Google tried to index your site while it is down this could have a negative effect - so make sure the new server is up and working before making those DNS changes, and remember to keep the old server running for a few days after the switch to allow the DNS changes to propagate.

StevePro, Jan 14, 2011 IP
  6. DoDo Me

DoDo Me Peon

Best Answers:
    moving server is not a problem (if you are not moving to a bad IP). As long as all URLs remain safe, you are ok

DoDo Me, Jan 14, 2011 IP
  7. Chancey

Chancey Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It would not affect the traffic.

Chancey, Jan 14, 2011 IP
  8. ssalinks

ssalinks Peon

Best Answers:
    movement is done and as many of you mentioned i haven't noticed any traffic related issue

ssalinks, Jan 18, 2011 IP
  9. pjman

pjman Active Member

Best Answers:
    IP changes have zero change on SERP. Done it over 100 times. Zero changes in SERP.

pjman, Jan 18, 2011 IP