1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Moving to MT - lose seo ground?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Chiara, Dec 2, 2004.

I am moving the 100+ blogs on my site from Blogger to Movable Type. I have to do this because Blogger isn't sophisticated enough to handle what I'm doing and MT can handle unlimited blogs and user management, etc.

My concern is that I have 1000+ individual post pages indexed by Google. When they move to MT, the URLs will change. Do I have to put a 301 redirect on every single post page in order to keep them in Google? Would I need to keep the redirect on them forever? I will basically have double the amount of files on my server, then, which I don't want.

Also, moving the blogs, it seems like they have to go in individual directories, whereas now I have them as just www. site.com/blogA.htm and www. site.com/blogB.htm etc...

Has anybody else here made the transition from one blogging system to another and have any tips for me? It's going to be so cool when I get it all set up, but I am dreading it.

Chiara, Dec 2, 2004 IP
  2. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm going to be making the transition myself soon...

TwisterMC has just made the move (From blogspot to WordPress hosted on his own site).

I have been thinking about the 301 issue too...

Not too sure if there is a quicker way of achieveing it to be honest.

SEbasic, Dec 2, 2004 IP
  3. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    this is a tough situation, and i'm not sure what the best course of action really is.

Can you redirect folders?
    Say everything that was in domain.com/bloggerarchive/ can be redirected to domain.com/mtarchive/ ?
    That would save you time in creating redirects.

And do you think Google is smart enough to know that when 100's of pages are missing on a domain, but 100's of others show up, that there was a major overhaul and to reindex that site completely and quickly?

anyone know any of these answers?

Such Great Heights, Dec 2, 2004 IP
  4. Chiara

Chiara Peon

Best Answers:
    I think I made a big mistake by not putting each blog in its own folder. This is going to be such a nightmare!

Chiara, Dec 2, 2004 IP