1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Moving site to new IP help needed

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by tb1234, Nov 6, 2007.

Hi,

I am moving my site to new IP. It is large database driven site. I am looking for more case studies from you guuys I am taking following steps:

1. x'fer my DNS to new IP
    2. replicate my DB and moving my file structure to new server
    3. shorting up my current TTL.
    4. now once DNS change propogates I put my old site as it is for a month or so

Now making sure all broken links as well and no URL duplication will be there.

This are the basic steps now I need to include following steps where I need your guidence:

1. adding 301 redirect from old IP (1.2.3.4) to new IP (5.6.7.8) in .htaccess
    2. adding 301 redirect from 1.2.3.4 to 5.6.7.8 for internal pages as well for example:

http://1.2.3.4/abc/path.html to http://5.6.7.8/abc/path.html

so is it worth to do it or not and I wanted to knw reasons as i m new bie to this and someone else has suggested me below shown 2 steps.

Also if anyone has done this in past pls tell me following:

1. has any affect you have seen in SEs traffick especially from google.
    2. any PR changes

thnks in advance.

tb1234, Nov 6, 2007 IP
  2. Colbyt

Colbyt Notable Member

Best Answers:
    All dns is virtual now. If you are simply moving your site from one hosting account to another the change will be automatic. You can stop after making sure all links work. There is no need for the redirects.

There is no need to keep the old account live for more that 72 hours.

If you are just changing your IP number on the same hosting account the change is easier.

Colbyt, Nov 7, 2007 IP