1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Moving my DB from one Server To Another HELP!

Discussion in 'Databases' started by raven2424, Oct 6, 2006.

Ok i really need some help guys heres what i have done so far.

I made a export in phpmyadmin of the database then on the new server i go in and try to import it but i always get errors like saying the DB name already existes im not sure what to do if anyone can help or add me to msn please do my sites down!!

raven2424, Oct 6, 2006 IP
  2. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    open the dump and rename the database? or delete the existing database on the new server?

disgust, Oct 6, 2006 IP
  3. rb3m

rb3m Peon

Best Answers:
    The import process is actually running all the series of SQL instructions needed to recreate your old database, this means that it will create the database, tables, etc. as new. If a database with the same name is already on the server, you'll get an error (it doesn't want to overwrite your information, you see).

Either rename the existing database, or delete the SQL line that creates that database, changing it so that it will simply use the database.

Since it's all simple lines of code that are interpreted one by one if you find an error later on all you need to do is open the file in a text editor, correct it and then delete all lines before the error, there's no need to run the whole thing again.

rb3m, Oct 6, 2006 IP