1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Moving a phpBB Forum to a New Host

Discussion in 'phpBB' started by travoholic, Nov 10, 2006.

Hello,

I've got a phpBB forum at http://www.vantoureurope.com/forums/ and I want to move it, along with the rest of my site, from one hosts (Powweb) to Dreamhost where the rest of my sites are.

Is this a difficult process? I haven't consulted the help files on either of my host's websites because I really haven't got a clue what I'm doing or even if it's possible.

If someone could point me in the right direction that'd be great!

Thanks,
    Kirsty

travoholic, Nov 10, 2006 IP
  2. sawz

sawz Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    its not as difficult as you may think, if the phpbb website doesn't have any info on moving your forum, perhaps reading this will help, just substitute SMF for phpbb.
    if you have any difficulty with the terminology, PM me and i will explain.

if you have a chance to look around the SMF site, and decide that maybe SMF is better forum software, all you need is your database and your config.php from your phpbb forum and you can convert it.:D

Jay

sawz, Nov 10, 2006 IP
  3. AnaB

AnaB Peon

Best Answers:
    Here's what I did with my forum

First thing..don't suspend your current hosting til you get the new one..(of course). And don't change the DNS till you have made sure everything is working. (the new host will probably give you an IP address from where you can access your website and work on it before dns propogation)

send an annoucement to your memebrs telling them what to expect

Make a complete backup of your phpbb

Download your phpbb folder to your computer(all your html files, folders, templates etc)

Download your database

Put up a forum is moving...be back in 24 hours or something similar on the forum homepage

With the new host upload the downloaded forum

create datbases (with the same name so you don't have to go back and change the config.php) and dump the tables from the old one to the new one

Test your forum to see everthing is working and then do the DNS stuff

If it's a big forum...and you want it to be active...you can give your members a temporary link to access it before the dns propogates...so they can continue posting and having fun

AnaB, Nov 10, 2006 IP
  4. travoholic

travoholic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys but how do I download the database? Is that just a part of downloading the phpbb folder?

travoholic, Nov 13, 2006 IP
  5. DFischer

DFischer Peon

Best Answers:
    No, there should be an option to "backup" database in the admin.

If not, you'll have to do it manually through phpMyAdmin or something like that, and then figure out how to download it from there.

DFischer, Nov 13, 2006 IP
  6. Tikoutikou

Tikoutikou Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    What is smf?

Tikoutikou, Nov 22, 2006 IP
  7. sawz

sawz Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    that question could generate such a large answer, i'll just point you at my profile at SMF, then you can surf around the forum there. SMF is forum software thats loads better than phpbb, more themes, more mods, many more admin options then phpbb will ever have.

and its free:D

sawz, Nov 23, 2006 IP
  8. Imran

Imran Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have always preferred smf over phpbb, just because its code is more secure then phpbb.

transferring site is easy if u r naive then you should hire a pro to do this.

Imran, Nov 23, 2006 IP
    Jat likes this.
  9. saadahmed007

saadahmed007 Admínistratör

Best Answers:
    I agree with Imran.SMF is better & fast then phpbb also it looks more proffesional.You can install mods without doing a single manual file edit.Also phpbb has alot of security holes..:eek:
    So better use smf :)
    Saad

saadahmed007, Nov 23, 2006 IP
  10. chopsticks

chopsticks Active Member

Best Answers:
    This FAQ Article at the phpBB site might help you a little.

http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article.php?article_id=374

I don't see why this thread changed to 'change from phpBB to SMF' when the user is just asking about how to move it to another host. I also think that if your trying to give advice about forum software you actually provide the correct information... "more mods" that phpbb - with that being incorrect. A kept up to date phpBB is apparently quite secure if html is disabled.

chopsticks, Nov 24, 2006 IP