1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

MovieForumz.com Blast Off!

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by PayItForward, Dec 13, 2006.

As of writing this, www.movieforumz.com has been running for 4 days. There is between 10 and 50 users on at a time(including guests, usually all guests actually). Around 75% of the users are bookmarking the site(based on cookies & ip).

Day 1 - 20 uniques
    Day 2 - 21 uniques
    Day 3 - 556 uniques
    Day 4 - 1400+ uniques(day is still not over)

63% of traffic has no referrer(direct visit)
    37% of the traffic is from forum/email referrers
    1 visitor came from search engines, didn't expect much yet :)

I'm expecting great things from the site, but my biggest problem is that people aren't signing up or posting much. I don't want to close off the forums to registered users only.

I was thinking about having a special forum that only registered users could use, but I don't know what I would put in it.. any ideas?

Thanks! :)

PayItForward, Dec 13, 2006 IP
  2. hhheng

hhheng Banned

Best Answers:
    I'm curious how people know your website. Are you posting in forum or make some Ads?

hhheng, Dec 13, 2006 IP
  3. PayItForward

PayItForward Peon

Best Answers:
    My marketing techniques are my own. I would consider contributing them to the thread if you even attempted to answer my question :)

PayItForward, Dec 13, 2006 IP
  4. DSeguin

DSeguin Peon

Best Answers:
    I went over and took a look at your forum. Good stuff! Aren't there some legal issues with it however?

Anyways, about your question, I think you should let anonymous people post to start until the site grows and is active, then cut it off possibly into a few sections. One being that only registered users can see the topics that include the movie/show URLs, and the other where anonymous can also post but that forum is just general discussion.

How did you go about jumping from 20 uniques to 500+ in one day, I understand if you don't want to give it out, maybe a hint? I recently started a community forum of my own and I'm looking for ways to get the word out and have people join up.

Good luck with your site though, looks great so far.

DSeguin, Dec 13, 2006 IP
  5. PayItForward

PayItForward Peon

Best Answers:
    Holy crap, my maximum yesterday was like 10-50 people, today is 5x that

PayItForward, Dec 14, 2006 IP
  6. Bombaywala

Bombaywala Peon

Best Answers:
    Those who are curious about increasing traffic - very easy - mySpace marketing. KWs such as "free movies" will definitely bring in traffic. But the it will be your site that should be interesting to lock the visitor on the site for a while.

Bombaywala, Dec 14, 2006 IP
  7. Futures_Equity

Futures_Equity Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    suggestion: store cookies, so after a guest views X number of topics they are told they have viewed X number of topics and must either clear their cookies or register

if this helps you get more registered users you could leave me a rep =p

Futures_Equity, Dec 15, 2006 IP
    slider likes this.
  8. Correctus

Correctus Straight Edge

Best Answers:
    You must put a quick registration thing on top of each page viewed by a guest. I have seen it on a few sites and it works wonders, you could also start controversial topics and sign up with a few IDs yourself and agree to the controversial side so that people sign up and speak out that its wrong, this works wonders as well!

IT

Correctus, Dec 16, 2006 IP
    PayItForward likes this.
  9. Important

Important Peon

Best Answers:
    One thing I have experimented for long with, is that, celebrity sites "MUST HAVE" a catchy design targeted towards the type of audience you're supposed to get. If you want to make it another warez or copyrighted content distributing site, then the style's ok, otherwise you need some stunning graphics with celebrities and movies (well, i am not talking exactly legal here...). If you really need to build a community forum with active posters, offering media isn't a good choice, but good discussion topics (and controversial topics), a fairly attractive site design, and ease of use gets it going.

I know many people will disagree with me putting forth statements like "design doesn't matters in web 2.0", "simplicity rules" and so on. But that's just wrong for entertainment forums.. I have experimented well enough with it!

Important, Dec 16, 2006 IP
    PayItForward likes this.
  10. Correctus

Correctus Straight Edge

Best Answers:
    Yep Important thats true, successful Entertainment sites tend to entertain people from the start itself, so have a good design, thats a nice point, but don't use too heavy graphics or it might scare people away

IT

11. PayItForward

PayItForward Peon

Best Answers:
    Last couple of posts contained some great advice. Keep it coming guys!

PayItForward, Dec 16, 2006 IP
  12. kandeman

kandeman Peon

Best Answers:
    I once started a forum with a local contest.
    Anyone who posted at least 10 quality posts could enter the contest..
    This got me alot of posts and people who stayed..

kandeman, Dec 16, 2006 IP
  13. PayItForward

PayItForward Peon

Best Answers:
    Really? I wouldn't have thought things like that worked. I'm going to give it some thought and see what I can come up with.

This is turning into a pretty high quality thread :)

kandeman likes this.
  14. kandeman

kandeman Peon

Best Answers:
    Glad to see you liked my post,
    An Idea for a contest prize on your site in particular would be for example a new DVD or DVD box from a movie or series or a or DIVX player.

You could search a sponsor for this type of contest, for example a multimedia store or a moviestore (however in your case I don't think alot of moviestores would like to sponsor your contest because of the fact that your taking some of there business ;) ) .

kandeman, Dec 16, 2006 IP
    tusen and PayItForward like this.
  15. Correctus

Correctus Straight Edge

Best Answers:
    Yes, but when you put up a costly item as a prize, make sure the stretch period for the contest is pretty long or else you might not get a good audience and people repeatedly coming to check whether they won or not and at the same time posting on the forums as well.

IT

16. max pain

max pain Notable Member

Best Answers:
    So gaining from all and not sharing your techniques :rolleyes: nice skills

max pain, Dec 16, 2006 IP
  17. PayItForward

PayItForward Peon

Best Answers:
    If the tips people are contributing end up helping me, I will be sure to help them back. But there's no point in sharing technique(s) on an open forum this popular because it will get used so much that it becomes ineffective.

There's more than enough information on Digital Point to make people successful, you just have to use your judgement to pick and choose what might work for you. Find ideas & strategies and mold them to your niche, tweak them to work even better.

18. max pain

max pain Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well as if no one knew that matey - anywayz.. hope you get all the ideas out of everybody without contributing ;)

19. PayItForward

PayItForward Peon

Best Answers:
    Marketing techniques need to be adjusted to your particular niche, it's not something that someone can just tell you, and magically it works for all of your sites. Marketing is a very complex subject, it's not "plug and play".

You need to listen to what I'm saying and drop the sarcasm if you are really looking to absorb knowledge from this thread.

20. max pain

max pain Notable Member

Best Answers:
    For that to happen you have to contribute something dont you.. :rolleyes:

Its a nice idea btw so good luck - and i seriously am not sarcastic this time round :)