1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Move a phpbb3 froum to new host and new domain

Discussion in 'phpBB' started by cdtandy, Jul 4, 2011.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place.
    I have a forum hosted on hostgator at the moment with a .com domain
    I wish to move to a new host with a new .com.au domain
    I have setup the new host with phpbb3, done an export of the old data base on hostgator and then done an import to the new host.
    I have tried to follow instructions on php support but seem to be getting lost with the config.php.file (I think it the problem)
    All I see after the import is the default forum setup with no posts or users.
    After the import I get the message saying import success message.
    If you need more info please ask.
    I am totally new to this so be kind and offer "Plain English" walk through instructions.
    Thanks.
    PS, I had a quick look around but couldnt find anything that helped.

cdtandy, Jul 4, 2011 IP
  2. LH-Danny

LH-Danny Member

Best Answers:
    1. Go into your old PHPbb administration panel and change the default domain to your new one.
    2. Download the files from your old host and upload them to your new one.
    3. Grab a database backup from you old host and upload it to your new one.
    4. Update your database settings within your configuration file (config.php I think as it's a long time since I've used PHPbb.)

These steps are probably the easiest way to get it done.

LH-Danny, Jul 4, 2011 IP
  3. cdtandy

cdtandy Peon

Best Answers:
    I am sure this is where I am falling down, can you give me instructions on what to change and how to change.
    I followed the instructions on the php forum but they seem to assume that everybody is a code monkey (and I am not)

cdtandy, Jul 4, 2011 IP
  4. LH-Danny

LH-Danny Member

Best Answers:
    I've just had to install a copy on my test server so I can explain this to you.

There are four main parts of the file which you have to edit which are $dbhost $dbname $dbuser $dbpasswd

$dbhost - This is the host where your database is stored, for example: On HostGator this is localhost, which is usually the same with all hosts. It should be within your new hosts control somewhere or contact them if you're not sure.

$dbname - This is the name of the database. If you open up phpmyadmin where you can manage your database, the names on the left hand side are the names of the databases you have created. However, you should try and leave this name the same as your old host which means you won't have to change it.

$dbuser - This is the username that is used to access your database. On HostGator, it's usually YourUsername_DatabaseName. You will have to create a new database on your new hosting provider to receive your username, or contact them if you're not sure.

$dbpasswd - This is the password to allow you to connect. You normally set this when creating the new database.

When editing the file, make sure you enter the values between the two ' marks. for example: $dbhost = 'localhost';

I hope this helps.

LH-Danny, Jul 4, 2011 IP
  5. cdtandy

cdtandy Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for doing that.
    I will try a little later as I need to go out for a while.

cdtandy, Jul 4, 2011 IP
  6. LH-Danny

LH-Danny Member

Best Answers:
    No problem. If you're still having this problem later, PM me and I'll be glad to help you.

LH-Danny, Jul 4, 2011 IP
  7. cdtandy

cdtandy Peon

Best Answers:
    Done all that, I must be missing something or doing something wrong.

cdtandy, Jul 4, 2011 IP
  8. cdtandy

cdtandy Peon

Best Answers:
    Much thanks LH-Danny, your a champion

cdtandy, Jul 5, 2011 IP