1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

More proof google sucks

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by boogle, Sep 17, 2004.

I cannot prove to you but i know for a fact i haven't been anywhere near my advterisements but i just got suspended. I had:
    $275 calculated from last month & $650 so far this month.

My guess is that google has got some sort of problem with small sites earning lots. Ive reapplied but doubt they will accept. *My clicks did shoot up a bit last night but according to some posts repeated clicks = ban of the single ip clicking.

boogle, Sep 17, 2004 IP
  2. caroline

caroline Peon

Best Answers:
    What exactly happened?

caroline, Sep 17, 2004 IP
  3. boogle

boogle Peon

Best Answers:
    Opened my email client this morning thinking what a nice day, i wonder if google has sent me my cheque from last month yet then WHAM:

"Hello BOOGLE,

It has come to our attention that invalid clicks have been generated on the ads on your web pages. We have therefore disabled your Google AdSense account. Please understand that this step was taken in an effort to protect the interest of the AdWords advertisers.

A publisher's site may not have invalid clicks on any ad(s), including but not limited to clicks generated by a publisher on his own web pages, clicks generated through the use of robots, automated clicking tools, or any other deceptive software.

Practices such as these are in violation of the Google AdSense Terms and Conditions and programme polices, which can be viewed at:

https://www.google.com/adsense/localized-terms?hl=en_GB
    https://www.google.com/adsense/policies?hl=en_GB

Sincerely,

The Google Team"

boogle, Sep 17, 2004 IP
  4. paradox

paradox Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ouch !
    What would stop an unscrupulous competitor from going to someones Gads site and purposefully putting through false clicks with a bot or something to get them banned?

paradox, Sep 17, 2004 IP
  5. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Nothing.

That's the problem.

SEbasic, Sep 17, 2004 IP
  6. paradox

paradox Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's a super large problem! :(

paradox, Sep 17, 2004 IP
  7. boogle

boogle Peon

Best Answers:
    With a static IP and that google are supposed to record your ip when you login you would think they would be able to solve it but i guess its just not worth their time on a small website.

My advice is just make sure you dont affend anybody visiting your website or rely on your cheque as much as me to pay off your server :(

boogle, Sep 17, 2004 IP
  8. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Write to them and explain the situation.

Beg if needs be...

Explain that you have never, and would never fake the clicks.

Be super polite, super apologetic and explain that you would not risk the adsense, purely because you rely on the cash too much to run your server.

I hear about this kind of thing quite a bit, and most of the time, after a few emails, people are accepted again.

In the mean time, i suggest you sign up for a similiar service like adhearus (Idon't know much about the alternatives, so check them all out).

SEbasic, Sep 17, 2004 IP
  9. boogle

boogle Peon

Best Answers:
    Will do thankyou for the advice :)

boogle, Sep 17, 2004 IP
  10. vlead

vlead Peon

Best Answers:
    This is a inherent problem with the WWW. First there were people signing up their "enemies" email with spammers, then there were people listing their competitors websites with link farms and getting them banned and now this...

The WWW is inherently very-very unsecure. Although organizations are trying to make things more secure but I guess it will take some time...

vlead, Sep 17, 2004 IP
  11. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    You wouldn't be banned for that. Only if you were linking out (And even that is questionable.

SEbasic, Sep 17, 2004 IP
  12. johncr

johncr Peon

Best Answers:
    Boogle,

You are not alone. There are hundreds of sites banned each day because the easiest way an account can be banned is by a Webmaster clicking on the site's own ads. Google use IP address, cookies, hidden files and don't even try to fake your IP with a forbidden (proxy) one.

It is normal (we are humans) to inadvertently click an ad in our own site, however, but nobody (out of Google realm) knows how many click-through are needed to get a site banned, but they watch for multiple clicks from the same domain. However, recently Google changed his policies on this regard (read the FAQ). I guess that Google place suspect sites on yellow alert until the action is repeated. If click-through percentages goes up then the alert moves orange then to red and you receive the nasty mail.

I guess that click-through is the key factor. If you go from <1% click-through rate to 10% click-through rate or more an alert flag is placed on your site. At that moment other factors are analyzed as how large is your site, type of content, page impressions and more important, are you sticking to the Google's TOS and those clicks are coming from the same IP address?

I wish you post your site domain just to take a look but don't do that if you intend to sign again with AdSense. However if you are accepted back, I'm sure you will never be banned again. Good luck!

johncr, Sep 17, 2004 IP
  13. Weirfire

Weirfire Language Translation Company

Best Answers:
    If you have a business and have adsense adverts on your site it is quite likely that staff from your own business would be the prominent users of your site. How can they punish you for someone else clicking the adverts on your own site from your own computer?

If they know your IP then they shouldn't punish you for clicks on your own ads. They should just ignore the clicks.

Weirfire, Sep 17, 2004 IP
  14. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    On one of our sites, that doesn't receive that much traffic, the CTR's fluctuate MASSIVLEY (sp!?!).

One day it could be around 1%, the next it could be up to %25.

To this date I have never recieved an email from google RE the issue.

I'm not saying that you are wrong, only that in my experience, it may not be the case.

SEbasic, Sep 17, 2004 IP
  15. johncr

johncr Peon

Best Answers:
    Sure! I put a flag on that. Then I check the IP and cookie and the site stats. If everytyhing is okay I clear the flag. No problem. Besides, (I guess) the evaluation is done when your account reaches the 100 bucks mark and not on a daily basis.

johncr, Sep 17, 2004 IP
  16. boogle

boogle Peon

Best Answers:
    Still get the same bullshit reply ive been getting all day:

"As you know, Google treats instances of invalid click activity very
    seriously. Due to the proprietary nature of our algorithm, we cannot
    disclose any details about how our monitoring technology works or what
    specifics we found on your account. However, we can assure you that we
    have again reviewed your account thoroughly and accurately, and have
    confirmed that your account violated our program's Terms and Conditions.

As outlined in our program Terms and Conditions, Google reserves the right
    to terminate any publisher's participation at any time."

Note. "we cannot disclose any details about how our monitoring technology works" this is because they dont like to say that if a small website is earning big and somebody produces false clicks from the same ip then they get suspended.

I know there is nothing i can do but it just makes me so ****ing mad. Just hope i dont physically meet anybody working for adsense in the street :mad:

boogle, Sep 17, 2004 IP
  17. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I find that really hard to believe. Maybe on a massive traffic site that would be true. If you were a smaller site, and had 100 visits one day and 1 click and 10 visitors the next with 1 click they would flag you?

I am pretty sure they go by IP and geo location. Unless you are doing something wrong, just write to them and tell them the truth. Remember, they developed the program and are a lot smarter than any of us know.

NewComputer, Sep 19, 2004 IP
  18. melfan

melfan Peon

Best Answers:
    I dont think google use cookie to trackdown publishers clicks simple because many users use privacy softwares, this method wont work. I believe they use IP address to filter valid cliks.

melfan, Sep 19, 2004 IP
  19. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I'm sure it probably goes beyond that... probably geotargetting down to a specific city too. For example, me being in San Diego, California... if all my clicks where coming from San Diego, it might raise a flag.

digitalpoint, Sep 19, 2004 IP
  20. qll

qll Peon

Best Answers:
    I charge $5000 for answering what google algorithm does. PM me.
    I have done extensive research on what they are doing. If you are making $10K a month, then you need that info, as you can track extractly what google knows about your visitors and clicks. If you only make $50 a month, then don't bother.

qll, Sep 19, 2004 IP