1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

More Gems from DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by gworld, Feb 26, 2006.

The issue of "deeplinks" and corruption has been mentioned before and usually is defended by DMOZ editors that such "Doorway affiliate" pages have 20 pictures and it is according to DMOZ "Adult Guideline" which is different than normal DMOZ and what is considered corruption in rest of DMOZ is just norm in adult. :rolleyes:

Try this link in DMOZ:

http://search.dmoz.org/cgi-bin/search?search=xxxcelebs.com&all=yes&cs=UTF-8&cat=Adult

It gives you 22 links for a domain xxxcelebs(.)com, with different description, categories and links. Click on any of those 22 links and all of it goes to the same page and it doesn't even have the 20 picture.

I am sure pagode will be soon here, explaining that this is a new "norm", "practice in Adult section" that even if all links go to the same page is not abuse and it is according to adult guideline. :rolleyes:

I just list the first 3 links here before DMOZ editors start to change and hide everything:

Cameron Diaz Nude - Contains nude pics, biography, and filmography for celebrity actress Cameron Diaz. [SexKey]
    -- http://www(.)xxxcelebs(.)com/cameron-diaz-nude/ Adult: Image Galleries: Celebrities: D: Diaz, Cameron (1)

Shannon Elizabeth Nude - Contains nude pics, biography, and filmography for celebrity actress Shannon Elizabeth. [SexKey]
    -- http://www(.)xxxcelebs(.)com/shannon-elizabeth-nude/ Adult: Arts: Performing Arts: Acting: Actors and Actresses: Elizabeth, Shannon (1)

Reese Witherspoon Nude - Contains nude pics, biography, and filmography for celebrity actress Reese Witherspoon. [AVS: SexKey]
    -- http://www(.)xxxcelebs(.)com/reese-witherspoon-nude/ Adult: Arts: Performing Arts: Acting: Actors and Actresses: Witherspoon, Reese (1)

gworld, Feb 26, 2006 IP
  2. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm sorry to disappoint you :D
    This is not the norm and in its current state the listings should be removed.
    As you can see the listings are not for the same page. But sometime after the sites got listed they were changed and now redirect to another page. I'll ask these listings to be removed.

pagode, Feb 26, 2006 IP
  3. sidjf

sidjf Peon

Best Answers:
    gworld - good find, thanks for bringing it to my attention. :)

This is called bait and switch - they submit sites that are listable, then after the site is listed they change it (to a redirect in this case).

I deleted the deeplinks and put a note on the URl explaining what they are up to so that editors won't list these deeplinks in the future.

Thanks again, let us know if you find anything else! :)

sidjf, Feb 26, 2006 IP
  4. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    No problem bro.

I have enough Gems to embarrass DMOZ at least until the end of 2006 and I am sure by then editors have made new ones. Are you sure you want to delete those links? A meta might not be very happy with you for being a bad boy if you do that. ;)

Annie asked me where did my love and hug go when she gave me red rep, so here is some love and hug for you. :D

gworld, Feb 26, 2006 IP
  5. sidjf

sidjf Peon

Best Answers:
    Not embarrassing at all mate. Webmasters are pretty sneaky, sometimes they slip by us. Thanks again for pointing these out. :)

Well, I can't imagine a meta having a problem with deleting obviously unlistable redirects like that - but if one does, they are more than welcome to kiss my ass right before they are removed for abuse...

sidjf, Feb 26, 2006 IP
  6. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Poor editors, it seems they always have to bite as soon as they see a bait. ;)

I agree, especially the webmasters who are also DMOZ editors. ;)

Love and hug, bro. :D

gworld, Feb 26, 2006 IP
  7. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    Based on the reactions of gworld I would like to ask my fellow editors that when he is posting something that might be wrong within DMOZ only to investigate and correct it when needed but not to answer the postings anymore. Seems that no matter what we do it is always wrong. So let us just not do anything anymore, in that case we can't do wrong. ;)

pagode, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  8. sidjf

sidjf Peon

Best Answers:
    By "bait" you mean your trolling right...? Yeah, some editors are pretty good about jumping for your "bait"...lol

sidjf, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  9. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I am just having fun with you pagode (not the part about meta), where is your sense of humor? :D You still don't get it, do you?

You can not change anything by deleting a listing here or there, there is a need to change the procedures and the "norm".

Did you think about my previous question in another thread about how easy it is to get 10 editors account? ;)

Love and hug, bro.

gworld, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  10. sidjf

sidjf Peon

Best Answers:
    On the contrary, I'm always sure to thank him because he is actually very good at finding this garbage that needs to be removed. I'm hoping he keeps posting it so I can keep removing it.

Once again, thanks for finding these redirects gworld. :)

sidjf, Feb 27, 2006 IP
    minstrel and gworld like this.
  11. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Not really but good return. LOL :D

At least you have a sense of humor. I think pagode is pulling our legs about his nationality, with his lack of humor he must be a French. ;) :D

gworld, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  12. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    HEY! My Grandpa was French and he was the funniest guy I've ever met. :D

compostannie, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  13. fathom

fathom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ya but I gave green because you deserved red! :D :D

fathom, Feb 27, 2006 IP
    gworld likes this.
  14. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you browse the sites for sale section this site and see some of the 1 page .info sites that are DMOZ listed (even when the site blatantely states tthat content is copied from wiki or answers or whatever), says a lot about site quality on DMOZ. Its really concerning to me how a 1 month old, 1 page site with scraped content gets in, but others with more merit do not.

lorien1973, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  15. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    If you know of sites like you describe please report them. Either through DMOZ ´update listing´ or on Resource Zone or PM me the urls. Sites with only one or a few pages and/or copied content should not be listed.

pagode, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  16. fathom

fathom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It can happen and does happen. 'Some' place their goals ahead of their voluntary role that they "ABSOLUTELY" agreed to do.

That said, that doesn't mean a site with more merit deserves:

1. a listing, or

2. a priority listing [as in a quicker response from a volunteer that is doing what they "ABSOLUTELY" agreed to do]

fathom, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  17. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Well, may be you do have a sense of humor after all. :D

I found your posting in another thread about checking the who is of a real estate web site before buying anything also funny. I hope you are aware that in your own country, half of the real estates deals are done with a suitcase full of cash. ;) :D

Love and hug, bro. :D

gworld, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  18. Canadianbacon

Canadianbacon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    tattle tale :)

Canadianbacon, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  19. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    sidjf;

Did you delete those links yet?

Since Pagode doesn't like to answer my question, may be you like to give it a try:

How easy do you think is to get 10 editors account in DMOZ? ;)

gworld, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  20. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    He is doing a greater service to DMOZ than those pathetic Admins and several editors and metas I could mention (but won't) at the moment :eek:

minstrel, Feb 27, 2006 IP