1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

More fun with DMOZ.

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by gworld, Mar 20, 2006.

1. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I think you're mistaken or confused, sidjf. I don't recall ever calling him "pooptalk".

I would also point out that I don't have trouble understanding him.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLJ,GGLJ:2006-05,GGLJ:en&q=socks+manly

minstrel, Mar 21, 2006 IP
  2. sidjf

sidjf Peon

Best Answers:
    Opps, correct you are. I looked it up, it was gworld that was calling him pooptalk. Sorry 'bout that. :)

sidjf, Mar 21, 2006 IP
  3. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That was when he still had illusions about DMOZ but now he knows better. ;)

You still haven't answered my question:

Why a site which is nothing more than a collection of doorway pages is listed 35 times in DMOZ?

Why not remove the listings 1,5, 10 and list bellababes which is the site these doorway pages go to?

Why not remove listings 2,3,4,8,9 and list macandbumble which is the sites these doorway pages go to?

How do you justify listing a site which is nothing more than collection of doorway pages, 35 times with DMOZ guide that states:

Sites Consisting Primarily of Affiliate Links

Sites consisting primarily of affiliate links, or whose sole purpose is to drive user traffic to another site for the purpose of commission sales, provide no unique content and are not appropriate for inclusion in the directory. " :rolleyes:

gworld, Mar 21, 2006 IP
  4. sidjf

sidjf Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm at work right now and can't look at the pages in question, in depth...I will look through them tonight though, and will then answer " How do you justify listing a site which is nothing more than collection of doorway pages, 35 times".

While we're waiting, I'd still like to see some answers to some of my questions - if you're up to the task. ;)

1) If these sites had no advertisements/affiliate links, just the pictures, would you be ok with the listings?

2) Why are these pages different than any other page that has acceptable content plus advertising?

3) In your opinion, what is the difference between a "DOORWAY AFFILIATE" and a site with ads? How do you determine which is which, and what makes one worse than the other?

sidjf, Mar 21, 2006 IP
  5. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I am disappointed that you don't know the answer to such a simple question, don't you read the editor's guideline? ;)

Sites Consisting Primarily of Affiliate Links

Sites consisting primarily of affiliate links, or whose sole purpose is to drive user traffic to another site for the purpose of commission sales, provide no unique content and are not appropriate for inclusion in the directory. "

This site has all the conditions for not being listed, let alone 35 time. :rolleyes:

gworld, Mar 21, 2006 IP
  6. sidjf

sidjf Peon

Best Answers:
    I didn't ask you to tell me because I don't know - I asked because I think you don't know. Judging by the fact that you once again completely sidestepped the questions posed directly to you - I suspect that you don't know the answers.

sidjf, Mar 21, 2006 IP
  7. Test-ok

Test-ok Peon

Best Answers:
    Well sid, he said he was an editor who apparently edits from the DP and not like normal editors do. So he interprets thing a bit different and will side step from time to time. (nature of the beast)
    He comes here..bitches about what needs to be done and tries to get you to do it or anyone else he can involve in his comments, ( now thats a new concept of editing) if he only wasted as much time in the directory editing these problems there wouldn't be anything to bitch about.
    Then what would he do.

Test-ok, Mar 21, 2006 IP
    sidjf and compostannie like this.
  8. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    May be we should have a poll about who is really answering the questions and what answers are clear and correct. ;)

I have sympathy for you since this is indefensible position, I think the best answer that you can come up with; will be that corruption is the norm in adult section and DMOZ guideline doesn't apply to those listings.

gworld, Mar 21, 2006 IP
  9. vulcano

vulcano Active Member

Best Answers:
    What one comes to see in several regions of Adult, one could start to doubt about the mental state of several editors there, don't you think so?

sloppy stile, you don't think that editing is a waste of time, do you?;)

And for the sake of it, I appreciate gworld's effort for making DMOZ a better place.;)

vulcano, Mar 21, 2006 IP
  10. sidjf

sidjf Peon

Best Answers:
    Still waiting on those answers gworld. Aren't you even going to try? ;)

sidjf, Mar 21, 2006 IP
  11. crossman

crossman Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree on this (when his/anyone efforts is helpful)

A action that is constructive helps you out, which is good regardless of the originator’s intentions, agenda etc.

crossman, Mar 21, 2006 IP
  12. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, come on gworld, give it a try! You titled this thread for fun, lets have some fun. :D

compostannie, Mar 21, 2006 IP
  13. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I would answer if I knew what part is unclear. I think the explanations are very clear.

1) Adult business gets around 1 listing /site by adding it to image gallery as in the case of phone sex business.

2) Sites that have no content and are just collection of doorway pages that market another site will get listed 35 times instead of just simply list the site that they are trying to market through affiliate program. This is in direct contradiction of DMOZ guideline.

What part of my explanation is not clear? May be some people think that it is DMOZ duty to be the marketing arm of adult webmasters but that is not my understanding. If I am wrong on that point, please make it clear and explain why you think that DMOZ job is to market affiliate program for adult webmasters. ;)

gworld, Mar 21, 2006 IP
  14. vulcano

vulcano Active Member

Best Answers:
    Annie, talking about fun. I am fed up with those lame explanations and defences whether there are deeplinks or multiple listings in Adult.

It takes 10 minutes to find high-value unique content like:

1) free-group-sex-pictures-orgy.com 24 listings
    2) free-gang-bang.com 5 listings
    3) allxxxstars 12 listings
    4) onlinesexhg 23 listings
    5) free-orgy-pics-mpegs.com 5 listings

vulcano, Mar 21, 2006 IP
    shygirl likes this.
  15. sidjf

sidjf Peon

Best Answers:
    So just posting how many pages on a domain are listed now counts as proving something? What is your point vulcano? Do you even know anymore?

I'm still waiting on your answers gworld? You have explained nothing. You almost got there this time though...

sidjf, Mar 21, 2006 IP
  16. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe he doesn't understand the questions, sidjf :D

Maybe if you asked them one at a time (waited for the answer on the first one before asking the second) - it might help him to concentrate. :p

Here - I'll help by asking the first one again:

YES/NO (circle one) :rolleyes:

lmocr, Mar 21, 2006 IP
  17. vulcano

vulcano Active Member

Best Answers:
    sidjf, I don't think that one has to edit in Adult or that one has to be an expert in that area. May be you should re-read what I posted. Where are the guidelines constituting what has become "common understanding" of some editors in Adult? I am not going to argue with you about the number of pages on a domain. The clear impression I get from what I see in Adult, is that there is a lot of money involved and the practice developed there, how sites, pages, domains are listed, is scandalous, IMHO.

vulcano, Mar 21, 2006 IP
  18. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    vulcano, why are you addressing this to me? Have I made any explanations or defences about whether there are deeplinks or multiple listings in Adult? :eek:

Am I even an Adult editor? :)

compostannie, Mar 21, 2006 IP
  19. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    This is not about advertisement. This is not a site, it is just collection of doorway pages that are not even linked to each other. Users do not have any use of that page, except to click and go to main site that they are affiliate for.
    MSN has advertising but also has content. many sites have content but also have adwords advertising. these listings are the same as some one put a couple of pictures of IPOD in a page and when you click on the picture, it sends you to Amazon to buy the product.

Annie, will you list such a page in shopping?

Look at above answer. It has no content. The sole purpose of that page is to market an affiliate program. THIS IS AGAINST DMOZ GUIDELINE.

A site has content and provides the user with quality content if it is going to be listed in DMOZ. Users will benefit from visiting a site, it is not only a stop station before user is moved to the real site that they are marketing. Doorway pages have no real content. IT IS NOT A SITE.

gworld, Mar 21, 2006 IP
  20. vulcano

vulcano Active Member

Best Answers:
    Annie, further than far from that it was absolutely not addressed to you at all. This question and answer game was just giving me the rest.:rolleyes:

vulcano, Mar 21, 2006 IP