1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

More fun with DMOZ.

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by gworld, Mar 20, 2006.

1. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    There are many "kinds of" people in this world (I'd say we're all unique, we all make ourselves who we are), dude, but that's just my opinion. And they all have a right to an opinion, as do you. My opinion is what you just wrote is junk. Humans have an interest in what goes on around them. I saw threads regarding pedophilia and it shocked me. There's respecting freedom of speech and then there's just a big joke. It was absolutely ridiculous such trash existed in dmoz in the first place. But then this thread isn't about that (sorry gworld!). This thread is about the excess rubbish (affiliate and doorway pages) in dmoz. I found it an interesting read. These people with affiliate and/or doorway pages are sometimes the ones spamming our inboxes with junk. I don't hate dmoz, I just look down upon it now I've been enlightened (thanks to gworld, minstrel, Las Vegas Homes and minstrel - sorry if I forgot someone). When dmoz first came about, I thought it sounded like a noble idea. Although I got put off visiting it at or clicking on links (from google search results) to it long before visiting DP (but that's another story not for this thread).

ryan_uk, Mar 28, 2006 IP
  2. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The way DMOZ is functioning at present time with more and more editors are only interested on how DMOZ can benefit them through providing and listing their own web site, this will mean the death of DMOZ.
    DMOZ is not a volunteer organization anymore trying to do something positive. It is a competition between those who try to get in to abuse it and those who are already in power position to abuse it.
    But it is possible that this can have a positive effect since if Google drops DMOZ, may be the few that will be left can pick up the rest and make it a democratic, volunteer organization with proper procedures that can be beneficial to all Internet users.

gworld, Mar 28, 2006 IP
    Las Vegas Homes and ryan_uk like this.
  3. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    If you visit Matt Cutts blog often you will notice on almost every thread there is someone in their asking for Google to addresses the issues with Dmoz. If you dont think with all this ranting about Dmoz, Google isnt aware of what is going on, step out of that wonderland you are in and go view for yourself.

I couldnt AGREE MORE with Gworld, there has never been a truer statement posted on this forum.

Las Vegas Homes, Mar 28, 2006 IP
  4. accountability

accountability Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course Google knows about these types of complaints.

Since Google moves with high speed, (it's not like ODP, where decisions take months or years), the fact the DMOZ is still used by Google, must tell you something.

accountability, Mar 28, 2006 IP
  5. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It's on Google's back pages. It's hard to even find the thing these days. What exactly does it tell you? :confused:

minstrel, Mar 28, 2006 IP
  6. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    I often forget google has a directory, until a dmoz editor/fan mentions it.

They have so many other great current services, and up-and-coming services. Their search engine finds what's needed easily and quickly without having to click through a mass of spam and uninteresting sites.

Maybe one day they'll bother to make their very own directory, or maybe one day they'll bother to update their dmoz data regularly (!).

ryan_uk, Mar 28, 2006 IP
  7. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    Google presently has more important issues to deal with than Dmoz, but I can see where in the very near future they deal with these public relation nightmares caused by Dmoz. With a 5% ownership stake in AOL right now I dont believe Google will want to take any liability from the mess Dmoz is making of its directory. So therefore change is coming, its just a matter of time.

Las Vegas Homes, Mar 28, 2006 IP
  8. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Now that DMOZ usual excuse provider have nothing to say about the listings which are subject of this thread and it is obvious for anyone who has a honest opinion, what the real purpose of these listings is and how it is against DMOZ own guideline, may be I will start on "More fun with DMOZ" part II in this week.

More fun with DMOZ II, will be about how while most people can not even get listed once in DMOZ, some people are so "lucky" that not only get in a domain with tens of "affiliate doorway" pages listed but also multiple domains with many affiliate links listed.

It seems "some" people have all the "luck". ;) :rolleyes:

May be by then sidjf has finished with pretending that this thread is about people who are against adult listing in DMOZ instead of people who are against corruption and join us and try to explain how some people get so lucky.

gworld, Mar 28, 2006 IP
  9. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    @gworld, I look forward to the next episode. ;-) Thank you.

ryan_uk, Mar 28, 2006 IP
  10. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Next episode is out, More Fun With DMOZ, II, enjoy. ;)

gworld, Mar 30, 2006 IP
  11. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I enjoyed it very much, looking forward to more ;) :D :rolleyes:

maldives, Mar 30, 2006 IP
  12. orlady

orlady Peon

Best Answers:
    I would like to announce the discovery of subtype 3B under type 3:
    • Haters who are so obsessive-compulsive about hating DMOZ that they will "sign" my name when they red-rep a user here. :eek:

Get a life! :rolleyes:

orlady, Apr 1, 2006 IP
    brizzie likes this.
  13. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Don't feel special, orlady. It's happened to many of us, even those who aren't DMOZ editors, at one time or another. It isn't because you're with DMOZ - it's because someone dislikes you.

There. Doesn't that make you feel better? :D

minstrel, Apr 1, 2006 IP
    brizzie likes this.
  14. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Everybody gets red rep. here, it is nothing to get upset about.

Any idea or answer about the topic of this thread and why so many affiliate doorway pages are listed in DMOZ or why is it permitted for adult editors to spam the directory? ;)

gworld, Apr 1, 2006 IP
  15. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The usual claim from DMOZ is that they are not aware about abuse and if they know about it then they will do something. They can not claim that they are not aware about the problems with the sites that were mentioned in the beginning of this thread and these sites are still listed after so many months. I think it is very obvious that there is a power structure in DMOZ that protects the abusive sites, not matter what. ;)

gworld, Jun 24, 2006 IP
  16. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I just thought to post in this thread as an answer to all those who claim if corruption is found or if you buy a link then it is removed that all those claims are total BS. Look at the start of this thread, it was 7 years ago and all those links are still there. What better proof that if you are an editor with enough influence in DMOZ or pay the right editor, nothing will happen to your links? ;):)

gworld, Mar 20, 2013 IP