1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

More fun with DMOZ, II

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by gworld, Mar 30, 2006.

1. shygirl

shygirl Guest

Best Answers:
    Well my usual 2 cents/pence...after viewing internal and external posts :

Brizzie :
    Thats nice, ESP and Mind Reading obviously a pre-requisite to Adult editing then ? :confused: If not, just how do editors know exactly what these 'unwritten' guidelines are ?

Unwritten = Does not exist and thus, cannot be followed to the letter. They simply aren't there to refer to for normal humans.

Yes I read the explanations internally. Nice 'glossing over' and explained very consisely. I've also read the posts here, and it's hinted internally, that 'Adult' due to it's very nature, has to do things differently. (Lose quality listings and content otherwise).

Adult WHO though however ? The Webmasters.... or the Dmoz listing 'guidelines' ?

I am confused and a bit concerned as to whether Dmoz is bending over, just a bit, to accomodate the way 'Adult webmasters' operate and always have done as the story goes.

Or, if Adult Webmasters are are manipulating the way Adult Dmoz works and taking full (multiple listing) advantage ?

Chicken or the Egg routine, which came first ?

After all, Dmoz is NOT a listing service. And since when did Dmoz give a toss how any genure of webmasters 'operated' and bent the rules to accomodate ?

Awfully sorry. I think I just gave a 'canned response'. Do forgive me.

shygirl, Mar 31, 2006 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  2. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    Brizzie - can you at least come back to edit a certain newspaper? It's THAT time again :D

And while you're editing the paper - you can insert a few of your "short" comments into the current internal discussion.

You could be like some editors (who shall remain nameless unless you can read a certain thread :D ) and bounce in and out a few times.

lmocr, Mar 31, 2006 IP
  3. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh, the newspaper! We must have the newspaper! And you have a title to defend... hurry! :eek:

compostannie, Mar 31, 2006 IP
  4. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    :D I've been working on the concept of an external version of DMOZ Free Press but trying to find a way of using the internal title without breaching AOL copyright. I don't have much time at the moment so it is still a project in the planning. I have more than one title to defend - Most Longwinded, Funniest, Most Evil (Editall). And best thread?? for DMOZ Free Press?? ;) but I fear I may need to lend them all to others temporarily. How can you hold those votes without me anyway, they would be totally devalued. :D

Who is sponsoring the Glittering Admin Ball this time around? Maybe I can get a press pass. Are they still banned from Belgium and most other EU member states? I didn't realise but a wrap up from the Free Press is actually published on the public servers (slightly embarrassing) without any of it being censored or edited.

brizzie, Mar 31, 2006 IP
  5. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I totally agree. I was just scrolling down to post something along those lines when I saw your post, vulcano - no way to improve on your words so I'll just echo them here. Well done again, Brizzie!

minstrel, Mar 31, 2006 IP
  6. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    From the DMOZ Bunker, Yosemite.

Word has reached the world that the Spring 2006 Mozzie Award season has officially commenced. DMOZ Free Press, who have covered the last 3 seasons, have been denied a press pass to cover events following a dispute over whether the contents are listable without an AVS system being in place. DFP's editor commented however "who cares, anything we didn't know we made up anyway like any other good newspaper."

When asked for his opinion on who would be favorite for DMOZ Best Editor a Sacremento chop suey takeaway owner responded "What the f**k is DMOZ? Now get the f**k out of my shop if you are not buying anything. Damned reporters. That's the fourth one today."

Preparations are also underway for the regular highlight of the season, the Glittering Admin Ball. Prohibited from 193 countries and territories following the event last Spring in Diegem, Belgium, when Lady Margaret Thatcher was found locked in a janitor's cupboard the next morning with the disinterred corpse of Ronald Reagan, and the attempted coup last Fall in Tristan da Cunha, choices will be limited and it may be necessary to take up Baghdad City Council's offer which is still on the table this time around. Sponsors are being sought and applications can be made via the regular route - any Report Abuse link.

Administration and vote rigging, sorry counting, will once again, we are told, be the responsibility of the Official Chief Mozzilator and the little Mozzilators. A secure location for their server is still being sought and negotiations are underway with the Taliban following their excellent hospitality last Fall.

At the press conference to announce the Awards, an official spokesperson read a statement from the current Supreme Admin Being confirming a new rule prohibiting blasphemy in campaigns, defined as any satirical attack on the Supreme Admin Being. To be strictly enforced through sacrificial deletion of all of the offender's affiliated listings. Adult editors are said to be seeking judicial review of this rule under Costa Rican law.

Let the games commence.

DFP HQ, Purgatory

There you go - cut and paste and get the field correspondents on the trail of the candidates.

brizzie, Mar 31, 2006 IP
  7. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    :confused: Who indeed? How will we ever know without your reports? You're the only one who has enough wind for all our sails, if you don't come back we'll be doomed to drift aimlessly.

Besides, I think you cheated to get most evil. I'll bet you can't pull that one off twice in a row. :cool:

<added> Whew, I see you've resumed. Maybe we should have a new thread, it's not nice to steal gworld's. Welcome back, kinda.

8. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Are you accusing Brizzie of being windy? :confused:

9. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Annie - it won't work!!! Believe me running DFP last Autumn was the hardest work I did in 3 years as an editor and gave me a brain hemorage so severe I still can't spell hemorrhage. And I must earn a living!!! I've started you off and are relying on the field reporters now to carry the flag! :D

brizzie, Mar 31, 2006 IP
  10. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Not merely windy, minstrel. Most windy. Ever. :D

11. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Accusing? Excuse me but I have been undisputed most windy since the award was inaugurated. Unfortunately, as a retired editor I am no longer eligible and will lose the title by default. Which is grossly unfair because there is nothing in the official Guidelines to prohibit retired editors from standing. The loophole they will use is that I cannot accept the nomination except through the internal forums and I can't access the internal forums - I think it is cheating but I can't get a Supreme Court ruling in time to make the running.

brizzie, Mar 31, 2006 IP
  12. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, there is another way, oh windy one. :p

Hurry, so you don't miss the April Fool's fun!

13. minstrel

Best Answers:
    OK, let me rephrase that. Are you accusing Brizzie of NOT being windy, Annie? :eek:

14. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The rule is very simple, anything that is good for adult editors and benefit them on finding ever new ways to spam DMOZ with their affiliate doorway pages is norm and acceptable. ;)

gworld, Mar 31, 2006 IP
  15. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd never accuse brizzie of NOT being windy. I can't imagine any editor who could come close to taking his place. I am accusing him of cheating to get Most Evil Editall. Brizzie is a sweetie and we all know it. ;)

Brizzie, even if you could win as a retired editor, you wouldn't be able to put your award on your profile. There's simply no other way, click the link. You know you wanna.

16. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    Just like you wanna push that big red button - you remember the big red button don't you? I know it's drawing you in - here take a quick peek.

lmocr, Mar 31, 2006 IP
    brizzie likes this.
  17. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    I never did add those previous walkover wins on the major awards to my profile in any case ;)

Only those minor joke ones - Runner Up Best New Editor, Runner Up Best New Regional Editor, Best Regional Editor, Best Editall, Nominee Best Mentor, etc.

Except Admins and Adult editors ;) Actually of all the Awards I ever got nominated for Most Evil (aka Biggest Pain the Ass) was the only one I actively campaigned for and I see it as a major badge of honour. You notice that I have never stopped working tirelessly for either Most Evil or Most Windy in retirement so I genuinely think the Official Chief Mozzilator should be petitioned to allow retired editors on the ballot. In fact the pressure is growing :)

Washington DC

The DMOZ Veterans Administration today announced a 10 month long Year of the Retired Editor, a series of campaigns kicking off with moves to permit retired editors to have greater rights in Mozzie awards. The DVA claims that there is no provision in DMOZ guidelines for exclusion of retired nominees and that processes that effectively prevent them from being nominated are illegal and discriminatory. Exclusion of veterans in such categories as Most Senile Meta, Most Incontinent Admin, and Biggest Pain in the Ass, are thought to seriously skew the results of those contests. The biggest area of contention is in the Most Corrupt Editor class as no candidate to date has ever made it to polling day though DMOZ Bunker insiders reckon moves are underway to give immunity to nominees. An alternative option is to rename the award Most Allegedly Corrupt Editor.

DFP HQ, Purgatory

brizzie, Apr 1, 2006 IP
  18. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    There is no competition in that section. I think instead of Most Corrupt Editor, they should give that award to the whole adult section so they can post it on the entrance page for DMOZ adult. ;)

It is even funnier that in internal forum, the same people who are responsible for spamming DMOZ with their BS affiliate pages, are discussing about how to change the deep link practices.
    I suppose it is not difficult to guess the result of that discussion, a window dressing and getting even more affiliate pages listed in DMOZ by spammer editors. :rolleyes:

gworld, Apr 1, 2006 IP
  19. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    [​IMG]

Estragon: … Let's go.

Vladimir: We can't.

Estragon: Why not?

Vladimir: We're waiting for Guideline. :rolleyes:

gworld, Jun 5, 2006 IP
  20. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you testing your Amazon affiliate images gworld?

brizzie, Jun 5, 2006 IP