1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

More evidence that Google doesn't value DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by minstrel, Nov 22, 2007.

1. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    1. As I said, I still have transcripts of those threads. The portions posted by various people in the other thread at DP to which I have referred did NOT misrepresent what happened in those threads, whatever spin DMOZ may choose to place on the issue retroactively.

2. See my comment above: Take it to the DP thread where the issue has already been discussed at length.

*sigh*

The apparent inability or unwillingness of you DMOZ editors to remain on topic is astounding.

minstrel, Nov 29, 2007 IP
  2. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    I also have no desire or right to discuss Annies case specifically. I just want a simple question answered by minstrel. Something that bothers me.

I think very highly of both Annie and threebuckchuck and have no quarrel with either. Once you're an editor, you always remain a part of the editing family, in some sense, whether you leave on your own, or you're asked to leave.

Added - Ok minstrel, I'll let it go.

crowbar, Nov 29, 2007 IP
  3. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    That was the snippet on http://search.live.com for a search on psychlinks.ca. It is not returning that now and is now stuttering "Ottawa Psychologist"

nebuchadrezzar, Nov 29, 2007 IP
  4. minstrel

Best Answers:
    1. 794 results there for psychlinks.ca and you quote one snippet that has now conveniently disappeared from the "Advertisements" section of the home page? Excellent research there, nebbie... :rolleyes:

2. Who on earth (besides you, I guess) would do a search for my domain name? If you know the domain name, I'd expect you to type it in and go right to the site. Or if you're looking for pages indexed from that domain or backlinks to pages in that domain, there are more efficient SE queries. So, I admit it - that's not a search term I'm trying to optimize for. :rolleyes:

Really, nebbie? Where?

How about an actual URL for a change? I'm looking at http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=psychlinks.ca&mkt=en-us&scope=&FORM=LIVSOP (using your "search term") and I don't see it.

5. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Calm down minstrel take a deep breath and take a chill pill or something. The reason I searched for your domain name was to bring up the snippet.http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=www.psychlinks.ca&go=Search&form=QBRE
    When you do a search on your optimized terms (I am guessing Ottawa psychologist) you get the same spammy description as tenth result. http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=Ottawa+psychologist&go=Search&form=QBRE
    Yesterday the snippet for a search on PsychLinks was returning the exact description I cut and pasted into my post.

nebuchadrezzar, Nov 29, 2007 IP
  6. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Except it's not there now... I see...

And what do you see returned as the snippets for the other results from that query, nebbie?

7. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    And this is on topic about "More Evidence that Google doesn't value DMOZ". What's on topic seems to be what you want to talk about Minstrel. You can allude and comment as you like but not others.

Anonymously, Nov 29, 2007 IP
  8. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Where did I say it wasn't on topic? The thread is about meta description tags vs. DMOZ descriptions. I'm not sure that singling out one of my personal sites or pages has anything to do with the general issue, or that anyone else will care what my personal meta description tags look like, but I've already thanked whoever pointed it out for drawing my attention to a page I've done very little with in the past few years. The poster was correct - it wasn't the greatest description, although when I checked it I was more concerned with the bad page title tag than the description tag.

No, not really. I'd rather talk about description tags in this thread than minstrel, although if you wish I could start a new thread to talk about minstrel.

minstrel, Nov 30, 2007 IP
  9. FOREXSIGNAL

FOREXSIGNAL Active Member

Best Answers:
    I surprised to see one of my competitors on #1 position in google search only on the basis of DMOZ lndexing.All other things are equal but he has DMOZ listed my site is not.The difference is that his website rank #1 position.

FOREXSIGNAL, Jul 28, 2011 IP
  10. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Sorry but that's total BS. You need to dig a little deeper. Ther are obviously other reasons your comnpetitor outranks you. Google never vaklued a DMOZ link that much and today they place virtually no value on it.

See http://blog.psychlinks.ca/after-years-in-a-coma-dmozodp-finally-pronounced-dead/

minstrel, Jul 28, 2011 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  11. www.magicaldentistry.com

www.magicaldentistry.com Peon

Best Answers:
    You might be right same thing happening with me..though nowadays DMOZ have less value.....