1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

More DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by ROAR, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Mac ... roll your eyes all you want. it'll be DMOZ editors (and a few suck-ups)against the rest of the world, who do you predict will win? :cool:

Actually ... a lot of editors are switching sides

Blogmaster, Mar 2, 2005 IP
  2. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    Fort DMOZ, The Internet 2005

Genre: Action / Drama (more)

Tagline: No Cowboys, No Indians, No Cavalry To The Rescue, Only A few ODP EDitors against a killer army of SEO fiends.

Plot Summary:
    From the eys of an ODP editor this movie depicts the life in the internet's infamous directory. In the center is Hutcheson, as the other editors man their editor desktops in their empire, which really seems like an outpost in enemy's country. The story follows officer Mac Design, who seems to be a tuff cynic, but in truth he's a moralist with a sense for justice.

User Comments: Pretty good search engine drama

macdesign, Mar 2, 2005 IP
    Will.Spencer likes this.
  3. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    ladies and gentlement: that's what DMOZ editors consider humor :(

Blogmaster, Mar 3, 2005 IP
  4. davedx

davedx Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it's pretty funny, and quite close to home. :D

davedx, Mar 3, 2005 IP
  5. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Blogmaster, Mar 3, 2005 IP
  6. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    But like so many DMOZ articles it has incorrect information.

I work a lot of ODP categories, I've lost count but it's over 500. I'm only named as an editor in around 25. I get a lot of sites submitted at the top levels of those categories - presumably since those categories have my editor name. Those sites take much longer to get reviewed, since I work at the bottom levels and review sites there first. Then I move up the hierarchy, and review sites that were submitted higher up, some of those sites are eligible for listing at higher levels, the others get moved down a level without being reviewed. And now those sites are sitting in the bottom level, but I just finished editing there, so it's going to be a while till I get back to them. I've it's a complex hierarchy, then a site submitted five levels too high may take a long time to work it's way down to the correct place.

An editor doing a proper job tries not to repeat a word in a description. Submit a description like that, and it's more likely the whole description gets trashed and rewritten.

Could be but they would be junior editors and unlikely to be able to edit in multiple categories. Remember that senior editors are looking and monitoring unreviewed queues and trying to get rid of spam. I have tools to detect multiple submissions in multiple categories. I run them every couple of days, and if I see what appears to be abuse like this, I just delete the extra submissions. I don't bother looking at the site, I don't bother figuring out which of the multiple categories is the best, I just delete the earliest duplicates. So that advice does not seem to be very effective. That also means when the site is eventually reviewed it has a history of all those submissions, and gets treated with much more care.

macdesign, Mar 3, 2005 IP
  7. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:

Interesting... another thread on this awful little Hutcheson fellow.

Would anyone happen to know details of the creep behind the handle?

Will.Spencer, Apr 19, 2005 IP