1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

MonsterJam

Discussion in 'Sports' started by jrbiz, Jun 21, 2015.

Hi,

A friend got me three free tickets to MonsterJam at Gillette Stadium (home of the New England Patriots NFL football team who just won the Super Bowl.) They were Clubhouse tickets, so me, my son, and one of his buddies got to sit inside, right with the same view as the TV camera had for the link below.

Anyway, a new world record as set right in front of our eyes: a double flip by a Monster truck:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/06/tom-meents-lands-double-backflip-in-a-monster-truck

My 13-year-old son has been fascinated with these shows since he was very little. I believe that I have been to the annual show for the past nine years with him, as a result. They first landed at Gillette Stadium last year having previously been at an indoor stadium. We always bring serious ear protection (though we did not need them in the Clubhouse this year) because the trucks are so loud that it can be painful to be there without noise reducing gear.

Despite the world record, I think that the three of us were most impressed by being in the luxury Clubhouse. I have been to Gillette a few times, but always in the cheap seats. :)

Anyway, it was a good time and worth going to once, if you have never been to this event.

jrbiz, Jun 21, 2015 IP
  2. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Your son is not your typical new englander then. I wouldn't mind watching something like that live once (so that I could say I watched it), but in my mind this type of entertainment is particularly liked by red necks. I say this, but the funny thing is I like to watch NASCAR which is too watched mostly by red necks.

qwikad.com, Jun 21, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  3. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Up here in New England, the crowd is primarily Dad's with young boys. The souvenirs are targeted to young boys, probably 4 to 12-years-old. My son is finding the souvenirs to no longer be that much of interest at age 13, in fact. Nothing girlie, either. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of females, young and old, at the event, but I am talking about the majority of attendees and the obvious focus of the event. It may be a different audience in other regions, but I suspect that the Dad/son combination is a winning one around the country.

Left to my own devices, I would have never attended one of these events. Seeing the first one was also enough for me. And, let me add, the show is the same, year after year after year after year. The script never changes, just some of the details. And GraveDigger always wins the big event. However, I do not regret attending 9 (or so) of them because my son (and most little boys) really enjoy the show and it is something that we have always done together.

Believe it or not, I have a friend up here (the guy that got me the free MonsterJam tickets) who is also a NASCAR fan. Watches every race he can, has a favorite driver, knows who is ranked what, etc. I have watched a few races with him, though it does nothing for me.

jrbiz, Jun 21, 2015 IP
    qwikad.com likes this.
  4. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    They go round and round and round and round and round... EEEExciting!

qwikad.com, Jun 21, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    There is no question that it is an endurance test of high speed driving skills, mechanical/maintenance skills, fuel usage strategy, etc., and is filled with a lot of drama and excitement for the participants. It just does not translate into much of anything for me up in the audience. I do find NHRA drag races to be a bit more interesting as they start and finished in seconds and offer a lot of action, etc. But I mostly view vehicles as a mode of transportation, not a form of entertainment. :)

jrbiz, Jun 21, 2015 IP
  6. Knight_Dark26

Knight_Dark26 Active Member

Best Answers:
    i have a photo of mater jam taken at Mall of Asia 11234868_10203952765051804_102010330141021601_n.jpg 11535700_10203952765731821_1238985522949936106_n (2).jpg 11234868_10203952765051804_102010330141021601_n.jpg

Knight_Dark26, Jul 2, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  7. Benjaminss

Benjaminss Peon

Best Answers:
    I was so excited to see this topic as I am from Australia and am a huge Pats fan as my wife is from Mass. Gillette stadium is my favourite and watching the pre season game against the dolphins is something I'll never forget!! I imagine the monster trucks would be epic!!! Thanks for this post, It has increased my excitement for my first ever Boston Christmas this year!!

Benjaminss, Jul 2, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  8. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    jrbiz, Jul 2, 2015 IP
  9. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Where is Mass. is your wife from? Gillette is a nice stadium and the surrounding area has been built up quite a bit by the Krafts. Right in the complex is a Bass Pro Shops that my son and I visit a lot.

Christmas in Boston can be really nice, sentimental, etc. Hopefully, after the nightmare snowstorms that we had last winter, this year will be a mild, but pretty Christmas. I hope that you have a great time here!

jrbiz, Jul 2, 2015 IP
  10. Knight_Dark26

Best Answers:

not only children even an old man love this truck. :)

11. Benjaminss

Benjaminss Peon

Best Answers:
    Carver. I can't wait for the winter christmas, it's always really hot here and doesn't really have the same feel. I have been to the bass pro shop!!! I also caught my first striped bass last time I was there for the summer. I joined digital point forum as I'm interested in affiliate marketing etc but saw this post and had to comment. Hoping to make it to wahlburgers too!!! Thanks too!!

Benjaminss, Jul 2, 2015 IP
  12. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Absolutely true. The fact is, that these events, in my experience, are mostly attended by fathers and sons. Yes, there are a fair amount of women in attendance, but it is primarily a male thing. And the males are all ages.

jrbiz, Jul 2, 2015 IP
  13. Knight_Dark26

Best Answers:

definitely i agree with that.i saw also a couple taking a picture and selfies.

14. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I have not been to Wahlburgers, so I cannot comment. However, you should check out the other DP thread that I link to in my signature. My posts are all about food that you should definitely try when in New England. Note that when you are at Gillette, you are only about 15 minutes from the Rhode Island border. :)

jrbiz, Jul 2, 2015 IP
  15. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    What I was surprised to see was a small number of young couples who attended the event as a "date." I assumed that the females were attending as a favor to their boyfriends, but I could be mistaken. There were not a lot of such couples, but there were a few.

jrbiz, Jul 2, 2015 IP