1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Monetizing our directory, since webmasters avoid adsense.

Discussion in 'Directories' started by donttrustthisposter, Apr 9, 2006.

Hello all;

So webmasters avoid adsense like the plauge, I was wondering what you guys would suggest.

How much would sitewide sponsorship go for, or is that even worthwhile?

If I offered featured links at the top of my categories would that work and if so what to charge? $5? $10?

Maybe something besides adsense? Popups would just be a pain.

It's a PR4 so do I just wait until it's a PR5-6?

Pagerank is carried upto 5 levels into it so a gazillion 3's 2's etc.

Thanks.:D

donttrustthisposter, Apr 9, 2006 IP
  2. daboss

daboss Guest

Best Answers:
    why do you say webmasters avoid adsense? to me, even with all the complaints, it's still one of the best monetizing options around...

daboss, Apr 9, 2006 IP
  3. donttrustthisposter

donttrustthisposter Peon

Best Answers:
    Webmasters don't click on adsense. So on our web directory it's almost pointless. Thus the dilema.

Works on sites not geared towards webmasters, but what to use when the site is geared towards them?

4. Tim_Myth

Tim_Myth Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree that adsense doesn't make much for a directory. I have adsense adds, but just because it was easy. I only make about $2 or $3 a year from the adsense in my dedicated directories. I offer featured links, but with a twist: a featured link is automatically included in all my directories present and future. You can read about it here: http://www.after5webdesign.com/directory/submit.php

Tim_Myth, Apr 9, 2006 IP
  5. cldnails

cldnails Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I do ok with adsense on my directory. Of course, I'm marketing to different levels of webmasters. ie, the beginner webmaster would find value in what some of the google adsense ads have to offer, but a veteran is already familiar with what is out there, so no clicky from them.

I also offer advertising blocks at the top of my directory in the categories along with footer links. This is a good way to monitize a directory, IMHO.

cldnails, Apr 9, 2006 IP
  6. mystikmedia

mystikmedia Jedi Master

Best Answers:
    You should definitely add the option for featured listings. You may not get a lot of orders for it, but you'll definitely get some, and it will take you just a minute to add with no disadvantages.

mystikmedia, Apr 9, 2006 IP
  7. donttrustthisposter

donttrustthisposter Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you're right. What pricepoint is fair to show up at the top of the category of choice?

What would be fair for sitewides?

8. cldnails

cldnails Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Fair all depends on your traffic, PR, and accessibility. Check out some of the other directories to see what they are asking and then compare their stats to yours. You should be able to get an idea of where you should be.

cldnails, Apr 9, 2006 IP
  9. Tim_Myth

Tim_Myth Peon

Best Answers:
    Here's another way to figure out what to charge: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?p=446581#post446581

If you have an existing directory, you know how many submission you get a month. Cut that by 1/2, 1/3, or 1/4 (as you see fit), and assume that's how many submissions you'll get after switching to paid. Now figure out how much time you spend reviewing a submission on average to figure out how many hours you will "work" per month and multiply it by the amount per hour you want to make. This will give you the amount you should make per month, so multiply it by 12 to determine how much you want to make in a year and add in the cost of your host and domain name. This is your total annual cost. Divide this by the number of submissions you think you will recieve, and you have the minimum amount you should charge for a link.

An example:
    You get 300 links per month now. You assume you will get 1/3 that after switching to paid. You spend 10 minutes reviewing the average submission, so you will work 1000 minutes each month reviewing sites. You want to make $30/hour, so that's 16.666 hours per month or $500. your hosting and domain name cost $100 per year, so your annual "costs" are $6100 ($500 per month * 12 months + $100). Dividing by 1200 (12 months * 100 links per month), gives us $5.08. So, you must charge at least $5.08 per link to pay your costs and make your desired "wage".

Tim_Myth, Apr 9, 2006 IP
  10. tasari

tasari Peon

Best Answers:
    Tim... twice thank you !!
    Nice ideas and thanks for the calculation.. will probably take your offer as thank you :)

tasari, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  11. MKInfo

MKInfo DP Guard Dog

Best Answers:
    I find that advertising webmaster type software (as found on the likes of clickbank) on the submit and thankyou pages brings in a few bucks from the novice webmaster.
    I now don't do free links.I only do reciprocal,$5/year without recip and $10/year featured.

My dir is ticking over nicely and I make about $100-150/month from it of which adsense is about 1/10th.
    Make sure you get your dir in all the lists of directories that are doing the rounds.

MKInfo, Apr 10, 2006 IP