1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Mod_Security blocking some scanning

Discussion in 'Security' started by leomeleo, Mar 18, 2007.

Hello all,

really need some helps here, I need to block the vulnerable scanner, I Kept getting these logs on my linux apache server:

[error] [client 71.59.164.182] client sent HTTP/1.1 request without hostname (see RFC2616 section 14.23): /w00tw00t.at.ISC.SANS.DFind:)
    Code (markup):
    I have input the rules below on my mod_security 1.9 but I still getting those logs, meaning they still able to scan... Please tell me what went wrong and what rules should I put in mod_secruity 1.9 to effectively block those scanning.

SecFilterSelective REQUEST_URI "w00tw00t\.at\.ISC\.SANS\.DFind"
    SecFilterSelective REQUEST_URI "\w00tw00t\.at\.ISC\.SANS"
    SecFilterSelective REQUEST_URI "w00tw00t\.at\.ISC\.SANS"
    SecFilterSelective REQUEST_URI "w00tw00t\.at\.ISC\.SANS\.DFind:"
    SecFilterSelective REQUEST_URI "w00tw00t\.at\.ISC\.SANS\.DFind:\)"

Code (markup):
    Thank you.

leomeleo, Mar 18, 2007 IP
  2. scaturan

scaturan Peon

Best Answers:
    afaik, it's a port scanner, and is not specific to just Apache. there are other more important log entries you need to be concerned about.

I'm currently using mod_security 1.9.4 on Apache 2.2.4 and works great for what I'm using it for. in addition to built-in Apache logging features, mod_security provides a way for me to dig deeper into logging and implement restrictions as issues arise. :)

mod_security2 is a different beast, and I'm still reading documentation so not quite ready yet to migrate my 500+ rulesets/directives. :/

scaturan, Apr 13, 2007 IP