1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Moby - Indiegogo campaign help

Discussion in 'Programming' started by MobyBuilder, Jul 27, 2016.

Hello all!

I hope it's not against the rules, but I wanted to let you know about an application I'm developing for building mobile web pages. It's not finished just yet, but I recently started a crowdfunding campaign, and I was hoping to find some enthusiastic supporters here :)

If you're interested, please take a minute to check out the campaign at:
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/moby

Thank you,
    ~ T.

MobyBuilder, Jul 27, 2016 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I sincerely doubt you'll find many enthusiastic supporters here, unfortunately. Why? Because your project is an example on how sites fail to consider the audience, not to mention probably a bad way to code anything. Now, don't get me wrong, since I haven't seen anything you've coded apart from the webside linked in the IG-campaign, I shan't assume that you're incompetent, but that webpage suggests that you are. Inline js, inline CSS, an overuse of divs, no semantics... it's horrible.

And, if the website is coded to standards (as it should be to begin with), it shouldn't take any more time reconfiguring anything to cope for mobile users - a website should be dynamic and elastic, and should work on any type of screen, or even without a screen.

As for the statement about content, and having less content loaded for mobile versions, that will assume that you have your own subdomain, or domain, for mobile users. Which is also a practice that is shunned amongst proper developers.

Sorry, but while I do see the point in your project, and I'm pretty sure you'll get customers, since most people have no clue, I highly doubt you'll find much support here. @deathshadow , care to comment? :D

PoPSiCLe, Jul 27, 2016 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  3. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Eh, @PoPSiCLe covered the bases... If the resulting product is anything like the current site, it will be a train wreck inaccessible disaster -- a laundry list of how NOT to build a website if you actually care about users.

Generally speaking, your preview pics REEK of not knowing even the most basic of things like colour contrasts in emissive colourspace... Dark Cyan on Black? REALLY? ...much less accessible design. It almost feels like a PSD jockey under the DELUSION they are a "designer" is involved. Even the concept, "specialized for mobile" shows a complete lack of grasping modern development concepts -- or even classical ones like why HTML even exists in the first place and what CSS is actually for.

But that's typical of such tools; "For people who know nothing about building websites, BY people who know nothing about building websites". NOT exactly a recipe for success.

deathshadow, Jul 27, 2016 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Over and above what @PoPSiCLe and @deathshadow have said I've got a couple of questions that I expected your sales page to answer
    • Why do I want to send my visitors away from my main site?
    • Why Moby and not a responsive website?
    • Is this a CMS that I install on my hosting or a program for my computer and I upload html files?
      • Windows or mac?
      • PHP or ASP
    • Does it integrate with other databases so I only have to maintain the actual content once?
    • Will I be able to have forms submitted?
    • Will customers be able to log in?
    • Will I be able to use ajax?
    • What about shopping carts?
    • What about security?
    • What about plugins - can I write them to work with Moby?

sarahk, Jul 27, 2016 IP
    PoPSiCLe likes this.