1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

mis-spelled/alternate spelling keywords not getting SE attention

Discussion in 'Keywords' started by Kaediem, Aug 24, 2005.

My main keyword is not really a "word" as in it's not in the dictionary. Industry specific etc.

There are variations on the spelling that some people use and I've included those variations in my keywords but the search engines keep picking them up and then dropping them on the keyword ranking - going up 9800 spots one day and then dropping the same a week later.

I'm presuming that this is because those words aren't actually anywhere in the text on the site?

If I include a glossary page that included the mis-spellings or different spellings (as in "sometimes referred to as..." ) that would get the keywords in the text but my boss doesn't really want a page like that to show up in the search engines and suggested I do that with a redirect to the main page and not link to it within the site except perhaps on a site map page.

I'm thinking this wont work - especially the redirect but all this information I'm soaking up here is sometimes a little confused and I'm looking for direction.

If I do a glossary of terms and only link to it from a site map page will that work?

If the page redirects in 10 seconds to the main page... will that work?

If the page exists on the site but isn't linked from the site will it get indexed? (pretty sure not but still asking)

Is there any other way anyone can think of to get the alternate spellings working?

Thanks Much

Lisa

btw, it's not the site in my signature

Kaediem, Aug 24, 2005 IP
  2. SpeedyDomainRegistration

SpeedyDomainRegistration Peon

Best Answers:
  3. otc_cmnn

otc_cmnn Peon

Best Answers:
    Create a well optimized page targeted at the misspellings. Link to it externally (like from here) and sneak a link or three into your sitemap and maybe at the bottom on a popular page.

DO NOT redirect users that is cheating and could get you into a whole heap of other troubles.

Do it right and the misspellings will start generating traffic - then you go to your boss and %$#% the stats up his #$% and tell him to %*#$ the @#*$ up and let you do your job.

otc_cmnn, Aug 24, 2005 IP
  4. entrepreneur7

entrepreneur7 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree. Create a sentence on the page like

"Wrod is a common misspelling of word."

Even with one link internally from your site...anywhere from your site, and that misspelling in the title, you'll start ranking before you know it!

-Brian Renner
    entrepreneur7

entrepreneur7, Aug 24, 2005 IP