1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Migrating Server/Host

Discussion in 'Apache' started by akirkpa, Apr 4, 2014.

Greetings!

This is my first post.

Our business website www.inuitarteskimoart.com needs to switch hosts and I am researching exactly what I will need to keep in mind for doing so.

Current host: hostonfiber.com (managed)

Migrating to: GoDaddy (managed, Dedicated linux based server)
    • CPU: Intel® Core™ i5 - 4 cores
    • RAM: 8 GB
    • Storage: 2 x 1 TB hard drives
    • Bandwidth: 10 TB per month
    I have never switched servers before and would like to make certain there are no issues or downtime with the migration process.

Before I get started I am looking to compile a comprehensive checklist or order of operations so to speak, things I will need to keep in mind, technical info I will need to gather and processes I will need to fulfill in order to make certain the website functions as it should for all applications.

Thank You for your advise!

akirkpa, Apr 4, 2014 IP
  2. RHS-Chris

RHS-Chris Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hello there,

Since you have a managed server, GoDaddy should be doing the migration for you. You will want to go in and make sure your TTL's (time to lives) on your DNS records are set short, so that tells ISP's to check back often for new data, so that when you do move, you are not waiting for peoples caches to update.

Chris

RHS-Chris, Apr 4, 2014 IP
  3. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Basically there are a few things you need to put on that list.
    1. Check that the servers run the same software, or at least compatible versions
    2. Check that the installed plugins etc. are the same on both servers, so that you're sure everything works the same
    3. Backup the database from the current server, and import it on the new server
    4. Depending on what kind of setup you have, you might want to just copy files over (download everything from the old server, upload to new server)
    5. Make sure config-files are set up correctly - absolute paths etc. might not be the same between servers
    6. Smart thing to do: try the site on the new server before making DNS-changes - usually, you get a specific URL you can use to go to your "domain" on the new server (without it having a proper domain name) which might help you to see potential problems
    7. After checking all of the above, change DNS so that it points to the new server

As the above post states, GoDaddy should take care of most of this, if not all, for you.

PoPSiCLe, Apr 13, 2014 IP
  4. RobinInTexas

RobinInTexas Active Member

Best Answers:
    RobinInTexas, Apr 13, 2014 IP
  5. JPC-Sabrina

JPC-Sabrina Member

Best Answers:
    If you are migrating then most high quality hosting providers are more than happy to help. One other consideration is to try to have your migration scheduled so that any down time will be during a period of time when you have the lowest traffic on your site.

JPC-Sabrina, Apr 23, 2014 IP