1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Migrating from ASP to .NET

Discussion in 'C#' started by N_F_S, May 18, 2007.

Hello DP members,

I've been working with a pure ASP for 3 years now. Is it hard to migrate to .NET (aspx) ? Anyone tried it? What language is the easiest to migrate, VB ?

Anyone's experience would be interesting to know, and how long it took you to migrate.

N_F_S, May 18, 2007 IP
    Briant likes this.
  2. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Guest

Best Answers:
    It is not hard, I migrate more than 20 projects in a few weeks.
    .NET is so powerful and while migrating possibly your line count of codes will be less. Migrating to Vb.net is can be easy if you don't know C syntax.

Clark Kent, May 18, 2007 IP
  3. N_F_S

N_F_S Active Member

Best Answers:
    Clark, I tried long time ago, I think 1,5 years ago.....and all I did was a test page with a connection to database. It seems much different from pure asp.

Would you rewrite existing asp to .net if you knew both? Or if its aitn broken I shouldnt fix it? I think if I knew .net, I would only write in it with new projects, no ?

N_F_S, May 18, 2007 IP
  4. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Guest

Best Answers:
    It may seem different at the first place but when you finish a project, the others will be so easy, trust me. The hard part is always leaving common habbits. I feel the same things at first but when I finished my first project, the others become so easy.

Clark Kent, May 19, 2007 IP
  5. ccoonen

ccoonen Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I was a die hard ASP (classic) and VB (vb6) guy for a long time - until I dabbled in VS 2005 and asp.net 2.0 - blew my mind. Just imagine the possibility to treat a server-side web language (asp.net 2.0) as a VB applicaiton with many hooks and events - and use all of windows API. Its friggin awesome and once you get the hang of it - you will NEVER turn back!

ccoonen, May 19, 2007 IP
  6. ezguy

ezguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    vb.net would be easy than c#

ezguy, May 23, 2007 IP
  7. mattcch2007

mattcch2007 Peon

Best Answers:
    totally agreed, if you are using the team suit TS version of visual studio 2005.
    vb is easiest to migrate if you mostly knowing well on the .net framwork
    1.x or 2.x and now m$ bind ajax into all .net platforms.
    Vb is foodies to all coders,
    several lines can made a client-server simple system with built-in tcp object,
    i am getting rid of other basic.:)

mattcch2007, May 23, 2007 IP
  8. MarkusJ_NZ

MarkusJ_NZ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi, they are two totally different beasts. ASP was a scripting language whereas .NET is more along the line of an OOP language.

As far as migration is concerned I would really sit down and think about why you need to migrate? As the old saying goes "if it aint broke, don't fix it".

ASP.NET uses the .NET framework (Much like header libraries in C++) to do things, think of the framework as a set of ready made libraries you can use.

If I were in your shoes, I would do the migration gradually starting with the non-critical parts of your original application. Now is not the time to learn .NET using your payment gateway as practice :)

The good thing is that you can have ASP pages in your Visual Studio 2005 project no problem and they will happily run. The only thing to watch for is that ASP and ASPX pages are executed by a different dll to each other and as such cannot share session variables etc. In order to do this you will have to implement some type of temporary storage (Database/ cookies/ querystring) to share variables between the two page types..

Good luck, I did ASP for four years and have been doing .NET since second beta (2001) and I never looked back :)

Cheers
    Markus

MarkusJ_NZ, May 28, 2007 IP
  9. mattcch2007

mattcch2007 Peon

Best Answers:

totally agreed ,mate,
    nice to meet you here:)

in little addition, i know m$ is using mostly C# codes for writing/creating the dot net framework 1.x or 2.x stuff.

mattcch2007, May 29, 2007 IP
  10. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you looking to migrate an already created site or simply just start creating new sites in .Net?

A large proportion of ASP will work in .Net though naturally it is not as efficient but it does allow people to continue to develop sites whilst learning.

If you are creating sites in VBScript then VB.Net will be the easiest to transfer to but persevering with C# is potentially preferable if you are looking for commercial applications as it is simply a more desired skill. Saying that, there are plenty of free tools that will convert one to the other and as long as the original code is well written they have a 99% success rate.

AstarothSolutions, May 29, 2007 IP
  11. slawek

slawek Peon

Best Answers:
    From my experience that not easy task. You can enable compatibility with ASP in visual studio, but I don’t think that will help if you need extend your code after and have access to asp objects from asp.net. I never tried ASP to ASP.NET Microsoft Migration Assistant, but I think its worth to try.

http://www.asp.net/migrationassistants/asp2aspnet.aspx

slawek, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  12. N_F_S

N_F_S Active Member

Best Answers:
    What a retarded people here, whoever red repped me with : "Y U BE SO STOOPID?" for starting this thread, go f. yourself p**sy idiot. Next time, have balls to sign your username.

I'd think to start new sites in .net, I dont think there's any need to convert ready asp sites to .net....

thanks mate, I will check it out.

N_F_S, Jun 16, 2007 IP