1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Microsoft to buy Yahoo

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by pasfile, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    They are certainly huge, though with being huge, and the market that they do have, I think that it would be rather hard for them to fall. They may get beat down at some point, but heh, it would seem the internet would have to fail before they did.

I also thought I heard they were branching out a bit, though nothing grand scale, but branching out none the less. I forget though, so maybe I am wrong *shrug*

I do think that Google would do better with Yahoo then Microsoft though, MS seems to like taking things that work OK and bloating them till they no longer function. "This thing doesn't have enough bugs yet!"

Qryztufre, Feb 6, 2008 IP
  2. evasenet

evasenet Peon

Best Answers:
    I like yahoo, microsoft will ruin it.

I remember yahoo kids, that was great when i was little. Google will be the one for me after.

evasenet, Feb 6, 2008 IP
  3. whooped

whooped Peon

Best Answers:
    I won't belabor the point, but I hope we can agree to disagree. But as a response, Google could sell its sites and acquisitions to make money. Google has Postini, GrandCentral and many more sites. When Google buys DoubleClick, this will bring them a very important asset. Google has deals with Disney and Apple. They had deals with Yahoo and Ebay. They work with Dell. Yep, pretty small companies.

I think the Google stock certainly could crash, since advertising tends to be variable. But Google can certainly put up a fight online, at least.

whooped, Feb 6, 2008 IP
  4. anglefourfivemedia

anglefourfivemedia Banned

Best Answers:
    They own most of the dark fiber(dead fiber optics cables underground) and they will soon own the 700MHz wireless spectrum.

Google has been less transparent when it comes to earnings or assets, so don't trust public balance sheets, cash flow charts, and income statements. They are very conservative about their numbers.

anglefourfivemedia, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  5. Claudek

Claudek Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Considering the Sarbanes-Oxley Act compels any US listed companies to truthfully list all public balance sheets, I find your statement puzzling. All figures are reported to according to GAAP and anything else is reported as is. How do you purport that they are being coservative?

Claudek, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  6. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    GAAP is the minimum to be attained, some companies do more than what they are required to, for eg they apply more conservative approach to the estimation of profits and write off losses more liberally. GAAP is not cast in steel.

wisdomtool, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  7. Claudek

Claudek Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Noted. I only mentioned that, so as not to get too deep into SOX. As they are being audited by independant external auditors, and considering the fines and legal implications, one would have to surmise that the auditors would not be so liberal in their audit. As financial reports have to be cosigned by the CEO/CFO, and puts them in a direct line of legal action, it also does not pertain them to have cash flows and income statements that have reason to be scrutinized by the independant auditors.

Of course, there will be some leeway as per GAAP, but a statement that says not to trust public balance sheets would not be valid in the current environment.

Claudek, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  8. whooped

whooped Peon

Best Answers:
    They are supposedly no longer bidding on the spectrum since the open access rules were triggered. Verizon is the supposed front runner. Even if they won, it would be a complete waste of billions of dollars, since Google doesn't have the experience, money, or connections to build a wireless network. If they tried, their stock would come crashing down due to much lower profit margins and Microsoft having all the time in the world to eat up the display and search business.

As far as dark fiber, providers like Verisign and Cogent own most of that. But it isn't of much use immediately.
    And as mentioned, public company's must be completely honest, and Google hardly has a reason to lie. Their numbers are great anyway.

whooped, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  9. worldman

worldman Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well Google+Yahoo is never going ot happen. Antitrust laws prohibit the worlds two biggest advertising and search engine sites from joining forces.

Well I can agree to disagree on that. But than again with those sites they are still not tangible and run the risk of going up in smoke.

Even if they are less transparent it still states that their income comes mainly from advertisments. Secondly the 700MHz is not a done deal and you do have Verizon who still has a chance of getting it.

worldman, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  10. joey112

joey112 Guest

Best Answers:
    Mate. Yahoo has the worst management i have seen in a business. They have great resources, yet they have done nothing with them and not advanced them and the competition has overtaken them worryingly quickly.

Microsoft will make yahoo 5 times better than what it is now.

joey112, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  11. wisdomtool

Best Answers:
    I won't say they are that bad, just that Microsoft will come in with a new perspective and hopefully improve upon Yahoo such that it is a competitor to Google.

wisdomtool, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  12. everythinghost

everythinghost Peon

Best Answers:
    This merger started partially when Windows Live Messenger and Yahoo Messenger collabrated and allowed each other on their IM's. The next step was pretty much evident.

And the point put up by kakakamal that Yahoo is popular in Asian specially in India ; I think he clearly forgot the hold of Orkut in Indian and Asian territories. About 15-25% or Orkut Traffic is Indian.

everythinghost, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  13. digitaleye

digitaleye Member

Best Answers:
    i dunno how....but i dont like this ;)
    this is probably their first step to control the internet with microsoft business culture...........

digitaleye, Feb 8, 2008 IP
  14. wisdomtool

Best Answers:
    I doubt that Microsoft can control the Internet, Google is an extremely potent force, but it is good for Microsoft/Yahoo merger because it helped to contain Google and not let it be the predominant force on the Internet, not that I do not like Google but I do not like any company being too dominant.

wisdomtool, Feb 8, 2008 IP
  15. D_C

D_C Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree, I love google but any company with to much of a hold on something with not enough competition is bad.

D_C, Feb 9, 2008 IP
  16. SeoGrr

SeoGrr Active Member

Best Answers:
    It is good to have a decent competitor to Google

SeoGrr, Feb 9, 2008 IP
  17. onlinedesign2007

onlinedesign2007 Peon

Best Answers:
    i would luv to see the deal go on . google needs some competition in online advertising.

onlinedesign2007, Feb 9, 2008 IP
  18. anglefourfivemedia

anglefourfivemedia Banned

Best Answers:
    anglefourfivemedia, Feb 9, 2008 IP
  19. projectshifter

projectshifter Peon

Best Answers:
    I totally agree. The sad part is that Google has a poor stock setup. They won't split, so the stock price just keeps going up and up, and they don't pay out dividends. At the current price of $516.69 a share, why the hell would I buy stocks of Google when I could invest in other companies that will pay me when they do well, and I can make more per-share and has a higher potential of going up a greater %? Google stock has been around this level for over a year now. It spiked, and dropped back down. I love Google, but I'll be damned if I buy their stock.

projectshifter, Feb 9, 2008 IP
  20. worldman

worldman Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The reason why they wont split or give out dividends is their stock is very fragile. Split stocks and you could be looking at a company crash. The higher the stocks is the less likely people are to trade them off and sell them off. That is one of the reasons why Buffet's stocks do so well. To get one stock in his company its $10,000. At that price his company is pretty secure on wallstreet.

worldman, Feb 12, 2008 IP