1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Microsoft to buy Yahoo

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by pasfile, Feb 1, 2008.

1. tigrrra

tigrrra Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google won't bid on yahoo i hope Microsoft buys yahoo then maybe Google might have some competition or then again maybe not it is Google

.... man i love Google :)

tigrrra, Feb 2, 2008 IP
  2. Boulder

Boulder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well thanks for the update lpstong, It will be interesting to hear some of what The US Congress Judiciary Committee hashes out after they get together next week.

I hope the US Committee stamps it with "Denied" myself.. I just do not see the buy out as being any good for the small (us) guys!

Boulder

Boulder, Feb 2, 2008 IP
  3. movidalatina

movidalatina Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good for the small guys? the fact that Google can
    pay a publisher .01 a click even if they are charging the
    advertiser 1.25 or whatever. Of course when you sign
    up, you do it without a gun to your head (I hope). But
    really .03 cents for 4 clicks? that definitelly needs competition!

movidalatina, Feb 2, 2008 IP
  4. CashoutChick

CashoutChick Peon

Best Answers:
    I seriously am hoping Microsoft does win and create healthy (ha!) competition for Google, so that there is no such category killer on our market that Google currently is. That way, the consumers and users are more value to whoever they are with, may that be Google or Yahoo!, so we don't get bullied around :D

But relevant to the point of this thread, I think Microsoft is going to win

CashoutChick, Feb 2, 2008 IP
  5. Boulder

Boulder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Yes, I agree that 1, 2 and 3 cent clicks are shitty.. as I get lots of those myself..

However, what is it that makes people think that if MS buys Yahoo they will fix up another PPC program to compete with Google adsense?

In my opinion MS has other things (not advertising networks) in mind, for reasons to want Yahoo holdings. I think it could be more the end user base aspect and not the ad publisher network aspect, that MS is interested in.

But please enlighten me, I am all ears! Does MS even have an open market publishing network now?

Boulder

Boulder, Feb 2, 2008 IP
  6. Cheap SEO Services

Cheap SEO Services <------DoFollow Backlinks

Best Answers:
    How about Moogle??

Cheap SEO Services, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  7. astup1didiot

astup1didiot Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I doubt Google would waste the money on Yahoo!, you need to remember how much of the market share Google already has, if they attempted to buyout Yahoo! Microsoft would go after monoploy claims in a heart beat. Google needs the competition in online advertising, this actually helps promote more spending by advertisers.

astup1didiot, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  8. qwestcommunications

qwestcommunications Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I knew there would be other companies fighting it out with Microsot for the right to acquire yahoo.

It seems potential bids may come from Apple, Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. (owner of Myspace), Baidu (Chinese search comapny), IAC (owns many internet brands including Ask).

Unless the stock market falters, I think the Yahoo may fetch more than Microsoft has bid thus requiring Microsoft to increase its offer price.

qwestcommunications, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  9. qwestcommunications

Best Answers:
    This will pass easy. If Yahoo operating in operating system or software then there would have bee a problem, but because it is in the Internet sphere, where Microsoft is still a pretty weak player, there should be no problem in gettig this cleared.

10. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Totally agree, Microsoft is extremely strong in the desktop OS arena, any acquisition there would be blocked, but it is dealing with the Internet Search Engine which Microsoft and Yahoo combined are still no match for Google.

One great advantage for Microsoft is it is cash rich from its established core competency area and using that cash to fund yet another potentially lucrative industry. Google on the other hand depends on their Internet search engine services. A very interesting battle to follow up on.

wisdomtool, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  11. qwestcommunications

Best Answers:
    In fact, if anything, a deal like this should be welcomed. Whenever there is competition, consumers usually benefit. Lets face it, Google will only get any sort of compettion if Microsoft and Yahoo become one.

12. soniqhost.com

soniqhost.com Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Actually they do want the advertising network. Online advertising is a big market place and growing fast, much faster then software os industry and they want a part of it, actually a big part of it.

Also if they can get some of that money that otherwise would go to google they may be able to slow down googles expense. (They are worried about a free os powered by google advertising)

soniqhost.com, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  13. soniqhost.com

Best Answers:
    As to the OP WSJ did wrote a nice piece about it.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120191085528536811.html?mod=opinion_main_review_and_outlooks

14. zexy

zexy Guest

Best Answers:
    Why would someone buy Yahoo anyway?

zexy, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  15. coolvision

coolvision Active Member

Best Answers:
    How about 3 in 1 Yagoosoft. But I really wants microsoft and yahoo start worldly opened AdSense like system.

coolvision, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  16. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    I do not think Google will be bidding, there would be too much anti trust thingy hanging in the air, they are too dominant now.

wisdomtool, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  17. soniqhost.com

Best Answers:
    Lets get ride of the two most unlikely ones Baidu and IAC both are smaller companies then yahoo and don't have the resources (stock or cash) to buy yahoo.com Also IAC has its own problems between Barry Diller and John Malone.

Apple I don't think wants yahoo. Apple is more focused on hardware then internet advertising and in buying Yahoo. I don't see how it fixes anything.

News Corp I think would like Yahoo. It would go nicely in their internet division. They have the size to be able to purchase yahoo. The only problem is that if News corp buys yahoo it really doesn't fix the issue of Yahoo being a number two player in online search.

bogart likes this.
  18. brokerdedi

brokerdedi Banned

Best Answers:
    I think competition can't hurt. Google knows they're number one and they're the one making new standards so they do what they want and you just have to live with it. A little competition would make things more interesting so I hope Microsoft buys Yahoo, at least they'll have a chance to step up against the Yahoo. Right now they don't even have that.

brokerdedi, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  19. cool_78

cool_78 Guest

Best Answers:
    I like GooHoo, sounds kinda nice :D I am also in favor of Yahoo selling to Microsoft.

cool_78, Feb 3, 2008 IP
    bogart likes this.
  20. vinodxx

vinodxx Guest

Best Answers:
    Hedge funds also bidding.

vinodxx, Feb 3, 2008 IP