1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Meta tags?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by sitedesigner, May 21, 2006.

1. Mystique

Mystique Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Through the source code I have seen that most of the BIG websites have no any meta tags and higher pageranks, including MSN

Mystique, May 24, 2006 IP
  2. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    use the description tag

bobby9101, May 26, 2006 IP
  3. whateverandever2

whateverandever2 Peon

Best Answers:
    The description tag should defo be used, I normally make it the same as my title or maybe change it a little.

Keywords are useless tho.

whateverandever2, May 28, 2006 IP
  4. maildeepak

maildeepak Peon

Best Answers:
    i agree with you 100%. i believe that google uses the meta description tag for showing in the SERPS if your site is not listed in DMOZ aka google directory. One of my sites was listed in dmoz and the google serps shows the description i used in dmoz.

anothe site which was not listed in dmoz but had a description meta tag showed up the contents from that tag.

a third site, in which i didnt have neither dmoz listing or desc. tag, it showed content from the page.

so..i believe description tag is important after title tags. I use keyword tag to identify each page forwhich i optimise it...i have a very short memory.. :rolleyes:

maildeepak, May 29, 2006 IP
  5. Himalayan

Himalayan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on how old your website is. If it has good contents then their is no use of meta tags but if you have a new site then you definitely use meta tags.

Himalayan, May 29, 2006 IP
  6. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yep, I always use meta tags. It does no harm and some search engines still use them to rank pages - any extra traffic helps.

MattUK, May 30, 2006 IP