1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Meta tags for Same Category pages

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by kalpitvthakkar, Sep 18, 2013.

Hello SEO Experts..

Right now i am working on several client websites, question is that how can i create meta tags for same category pages? like my client provide number of services in multiple areas of countries so we have separate pages for all service areas. Ex: example.com/service-areas/service-area-name, so can i create almost same meta tags & title for all these service areas pages, the only difference in meta tags are service area name, no other word variations are there, all meta tags & title are static, am i following correct strategy?, if not kindly suggest me more ways to create meta tags for these pages, i am not planning to create dynamic metas, so kindly consider meta for static pages & give your valuable suggestions if any for the same.

kalpitvthakkar, Sep 18, 2013 IP
  2. lesterj

lesterj Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'd recommend doing keyword research to determine the best keywords for each of those service areas. You may find that people in one service area search for things slightly differently than people from another service area. Then optimize the Title and description tags for each service area based on that keyword research. I would also note that you need to make sure that you have unique content on each of these pages. Otherwise, Google will see them all as duplicate pages and ignore all but one. You should have unique content and unique meta tags for each page.

lesterj, Sep 18, 2013 IP
  3. kalpitvthakkar

kalpitvthakkar Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks for reply, What you telling regarding keyword research, optimize all pages with different title & meta is very time consuming process, even if it is right way of doing work, i can't optimize all pages with keywords as my client is providing services in 100+ service areas, what i am asking is, can i optimize all pages like dynamic pages that is content would be different in all pages, title & meta has small change(replace service area), is it right from the point of view of google as many e-commerce sites are following these approach for their pages, difference between my sites & e-commerce sites are, i have static pages, they have dynamic pages.

kalpitvthakkar, Sep 18, 2013 IP
  4. lesterj

lesterj Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If the pages don't have truly unique content for each service area (i.e. the only difference is the service area name on each page), then that will most likely be seen as duplicate content. If so, the best case scenario is that Google just ignores all but one of the pages. Worse case scenario is that they consider it an attempt to manipulate the search rankings and apply a manual action against the site. Either way, it's not likely that you're going to be ranking for anything with most of the pages regardless of what you do with the meta tags unless the pages have truly unique content.

If the pages do have truly unique content and you just don't want to take the time to do keyword research and setup unique meta tags, then I suppose you could just choose a particular keyword which you think would be good to rank for and dynamically change the location name in each. It won't be as effective and you may find that you aren't ranking for many of the pages, but at least it's something.

The most important thing, though, is having unique content on each page. If it's duplicate (or near duplicate), then your just wasting your time and risking a penalty.

lesterj, Sep 19, 2013 IP
  5. kalpitvthakkar

kalpitvthakkar Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    OK..I got the point..thank you very much for your reply and time..

kalpitvthakkar, Sep 19, 2013 IP