1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

merging databases

Discussion in 'Programming' started by coldclimber, Jul 16, 2004.

I am not sure if i am in the right place but here goes anyway.

I have several access databases login and register on the main site a forum database and a gallery database what i want to do is to have it so that when the user registers on the main home page they have access to all features and the user name is added to the existing databases or just create one for all is it possible to merge these together or am i in for alot of hard work and learning.

coldclimber, Jul 16, 2004 IP
  2. l0cke

l0cke Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can do it either way but I would recommend using one database. It's hard to judge how much effort it would take to convert them all as I do not know the size of the databases and the inner workings. Access allows you to easily import tables from one database to another so transferring your data shouldn't be a problem. Once all the tables are in your new database you can change all of your DB connections to point to it. The tricky part is getting the all of the different login routines to work. Basically you would want one table that stored the user names and passwords. You would then have to modify all of the login routines (forum, gallery, etc) to authenticate users from this table. Feel free to PM me if you need some help. ;)

l0cke, Jul 16, 2004 IP
  3. coldclimber

coldclimber Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi thanks for the reply

Well as it stands my site is pretty new so there are only a few members within the login page and no mermbers in the forum and a few in the gallery.

right, if i open up all the databases and then drag all the tables into a new blank database would this be ok .

so once that is done i can creat a new table with say
    Name
    surname
    email
    username
    password

then remove all other columns in the tables that reflect this data and direct the apps to this new table is this right

mmm i might be talking a load of cow muck here but i am just trying to work out the structure and hjow it would work any help would be great thanks :rolleyes:

coldclimber, Jul 16, 2004 IP
  4. l0cke

l0cke Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yup, you are on the right track.

l0cke, Jul 16, 2004 IP
  5. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If the only table that has the same name and structure is the "User Login" table then you can just copy all other tables to the target database. If the user tables differ then you will have to either create a view/query that transforms the results into the other form or to change the way the second application looks at login information.

Help Desk, Jul 17, 2004 IP